Recently I posted about a possible move in our future. After much discussion and several tedious days of going over the pros and cons again and again, my husband decided to turn down the promotion he was offered. It would have required us to move, which is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, we would love better public schools for our girls, since they are nearing school age. On the other, we own a house and would have to spend a lot of money on fixing it up, and even so, the market being what it is right now there is no telling when or if it would sell.
Also, it would take him farther away from what he really wants to do, which is training and development, which is a passion of his. While the raise and position was significant, we decided it was best for us to stay where we’re at. Still, even though we both feel better now that the decision has been made, and we feel that it was the right decision for our family, there is always that bit of niggling doubt. If we weren’t meant to move, are we going to stay here forever, battling to get our kids into better schools? Will another promotion come around? If so, when?
In our uncertain world I find it discomforting not to know what is coming next. All we can do is make our lists of pros and cons and do what our heart tells us is best and hope that something better will come our way.