What is mama cloth?
– Mama cloth are reusable cloth menstrual pads.
– They come in several sizes and can be custom made.
– Ranging from panty liners to postpartum flow.
There is a large variety of different fabrics available for mama cloth. Most are PUL or fleece backed, I have both in my stash. Tops can be cotton, flannel, OBV and more. My personal favorites are minky or OBV, they are very comfortable and both work very well. Mama cloth is widely available online. You can buy individual pieces or sets of mama cloth. You can find mama cloth makers on etsy, facebook, hyena cart and diaperswappers. Washing was easy. I wash my mama cloth with my diapers most of the time. I keep the cloth in a small wetbag after use until wash.
I have been a mama cloth user for several years now. The biggest thing that made me switch was the money saving end of it. At first I was hesitant to make the switch. I liked tampons because they were discrete and easy to use. After reading several threads on diaperswappers about mama cloth, I started to get curious. It did not take long for me to see that mama cloth was a much better fit for me.
– Reusable, saving you time and money
– Free of harmful chemicals that are in disposable pads and tampons.
– Very comfortable
– Less waste and better for the environment
– Many women report shorter periods when making the switch to mama cloth
– Able to be custom made
– More care needed, washing and drying.
– Less convenient when traveling
– Takes more time
– Initial start up cost is a lot more than a few boxes of disposables but you will start saving over time