My favorite thing about the Christmas season is buying gifts for those I love. I am a giver and I really enjoy giving great gifts at Christmas time but when you have a tight budget like I do, it can get tough. I have found ways to still make Christmas great for everyone though. Being on a tight budget doesn’t have to mean not giving awesome gifts, it just means you may have to get a little more creative about it.
-I know the big sale is Black Friday, I personally do not like going out for this sale, I don’t care how good the deal is, I don’t like the craziness. I do shop other sales through out the year. I actually start my shopping six months before Christmas and just store everything in a big tote. It gives me time to spread out my shopping and hit all the good sales.
2. Ebay, Listia and other auction sites
– I have gotten some great items from these sites. Listia is done in points instead of money and I did a lot of my shopping for my kids off there. I had a lot of old movies and video games laying around the house so I was able to build up a large amount of points quickly. I have managed to score some really good deals on ebay as well, it took a lot of looking and patience but it was well worth it in the end.
3. Thrift shops
– I usually get my daughter’s Christmas dresses here ( if I don’t buy them the year before at after Christmas sales ). We have some really nice places close to us that carry the boutique style clothes I love so much. My oldest daughter loves all the frilly clothes so I love being able to score her an outfit NWT or almost new for way less then retail.
I have also found new toys at thrift shops for way less. Last year I got several Melissa and Doug puzzles that were new and other new items I was able to use for gifts.
4. Make it
– I make a lot of handmade things each year. For stocking stuffers I make my daughter’s bows. I have made felt crowns for the kids, recycled crayons and other small things. I make lots of home made edibles each year, I love making big baskets of goodies to give away. This year I am making memory boards for a few people, some bath and body items and more.
– I am pretty active in the swaps here on Diaperswappers and I have been able to get a lot of new items that I have stashed away for Christmas. It is a great way to get rid of items you no longer need and build up a great gift stash.