We have been getting a lot of rain lately and the forecast says we have a lot more rain coming. I was starting to run out of ideas to keep the kids entertained. We went outside whenever we had the chance but it has been raining so much that the ground is a mess, the sand box is a mess and they do want to do out in all the yuck. On the rare occasions that we have had a sunny day and things dry out enough to play, we spend most of the day outside. We are an outdoor loving family so being trapped indoors so much lately has been hard on us all.
My kids got board of the same board games very quickly, I will only let them watch so many cartoons, they only want to color for so long and they get tired of playing in their rooms all the time. We had to do something different.
Here is a small list of some of the things we have been doing to keep the rainy day blues away.
1. Get messy
– Break out the paints and let them go wild. My kids love finger painting and water color painting. I just make sure to cover the kitchen area with newspaper for easy clean out.
– Play with playdough, moon sand and other things of that sort. I cringe when I think of the clean but the kids love it and as long as I can keep it in the kitchen, it does not seem so bad.
– Do a messy or very hands on science experiment.
2. Swim indoors
– If you have the space ( and the towels ) bring your kiddy pool inside. Other wise fill the tub up and let them keep their suits on. My kids love “swimming” in the bath. They think it is the best thing ever when I let them swim in a bath that is brimming with bubbles.
3. Cooking or baking something new
– My kids love to help me bake and it is even more fun when we make a special treat. They like trying new cake and cookie recipes more then anything else.
4. Make an indoor tent and have a picnic.
– We have a tent that we set up once and awhile inside but it is more fun to make one from blankets. We have eaten lunch in it before and the kids will play in it for hours on end.
5. Popcorn and movies
– I do try to limit the kids television time but sometimes some popcorn and a good movie are just what you need to help pass the time during a rainy day. We have special popcorn bowls and our kids each have a favorite seasoning to use on their popcorn. ( Destiny is a butter girl, Alex likes cheddar and the two little girls love kettle corn ). Luckily netflix has a lot of kids movies on it. We pick one together and then all sit down and watch sometime together.
Hopefully the weather starts being a little dryer soon. I know the kids would like to be outside more and doing normal summer activities.