I have been scrap booking for about 8 years now. I love doing it. It is something that my mom recently started doing also and we have been working on our books together. Right now I am working on several books. I recently finished one from my wedding. I have started my family book, my son’s and one for each of my three girls. I honestly feel like this is going to take me forever but at least it is something I enjoy doing.
One thing about scrap booking is that is can get really expensive. All the pretty embellishments, stickers and paper can add up quickly. Throughout the years I have gotten very resourceful when it came to different decorating ideas.
Here is a list of tips to help you make great books and save money at the same time .
1. Save birthday cards
– A lot of the times the birthday cards my kids get have little embellishments that I can cut off and use for their books. Things like little glittery presents, cakes and balloons make great accents to pages and great reminders from their parties. I have also cut the words off and used them for titles on the tops of pages and under pictures.
2. Print your own quotes
– I get nice colored card stock and find my quotes online. I then cut them out with decorative scissors and glue them on my pages.
3. Save scraps
– Yarn fibers and ribbon make cute frames, paper strips can be used to make corners, punch outs and a lot more. You would be surprised what you can do with scraps.
4. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
– Soda tabs can be used for buckles on ribbons, jean pockets look adorable with a picture “in” the pocket, old buttons make good accents.
5. Sales, garages sales and ebay
– A large portion of my scrap booking stuff actually came from garage sales. Scrap booking is a big thing in my area and people are always destashing at their garage sales. I also shop at hobby lobby when they have their scrap booking section 50% off. Ebay as a big selection of scrap booking and I have always been able to find big lots on there for a lower price.