This delicious recipe is sponsored by StarKist.
A customer told me not long ago she had l noticed, at the last minute, that some family members were coming over to her house for dinner. She didn’t seem too frantic or concerned, even though they would be at her house in less than an hour and she was just getting around to checking out with her groceries.
“You don’t seem too worried about getting food prepared for them.” I said while scanning her items. Usually, customers in her shoes are pacing, digging in their purse because they forgot their wallet at home, nearly pulling their hair out from the stress.
“I’m not actually. I just need to make the appetizer quickly when I get home,” she said while calmly smiling.
She was only buying the following items:
1.8 Roma tomatoes
2.1 pouch each StarKist Tuna Creations Zesty Lemon Pepper tuna and Sweet & Spicy
3.1 bunch of green scallions.
She went on to tell me she would be creating tuna-stuffed tomatoes that look very similar to a bunch of tulips laying on a plate. This recipe took less than 15 minutes to create and always made an elegant work of food art for any guest.
Before leaving, she shared with me the quick preparation of these stuffed tuna tomato tulips, in case I was ever in her shoes.
1. To create tuna stuffing mixture, just mix a light mayo with tuna pouches.
2. Hold the Roma tomato in a tall standing position and gently slice four slits down each side of the tomato. Scrape or cut out the center of the tomato with a sharp utensil, but be careful not to ruin the tomato when doing this. Set tomato filling aside and perhaps use leftover tomato insides for a salad element.
3. Gently use a spoon and fill the tomatoes with the tuna mixture.
4. Lay each of the tomatoes all on one side, as if a bouquet of flowers.
5. Lay the green onions down to create the green stem appeal of the bunch of tulips.
Many food art pieces can be too difficult and not worth the time, but when I tried this for a few friends coming over for a simple salad dinner, they ‘ooh-ed’ and ‘aw-ed’ at the beautiful edible tuna stuffed tomato tulips.