Being that it is an election year I am sure many will see the title of this post and think I’m encouraging you to go out and vote for your favorite candidate for President. I am definitely all for encouraging people to go out and vote, but that is not the type of voting I am referring to.
This evening I saw a friend post on Facebook a link about Hungary destroying Monsanto GMO corn fields. That friend had posted that he hoped that the United States would do the same. As much as I would love for our food supply to be GMO free I don’t see that happening in our near future. Americans tend to overeat and not generally on healthy food, but on processed, sugar filled, artificially flavored food. This food comes in plastic, aluminum, cardboard, and other various packaging. This processed food is void of nutrients and the ones that are artificially added are not readily absorbed by our bodies. Americans like convenience and as long as we like convenience more than we value our health I suspect that GMOs will be around for a long time.
I want to add that this post isn’t aimed at bashing Monsanto. Honestly, I’m not a fan, however, they are producing the food we are asking for. Well, atleast we are not telling them any different, right? Think about it. When you go to the grocery store what type of foods are you purchasing?
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying it’s not ok to occasionally buy a box of cookies or some bags of chips for your next get together. What I’m asking is what percentage of your grocery cart is filled with processed foods and what percentage is fresh whole foods? Every time you purchase foods with GMO ingredients (sugar, corn, soy, etc.) you are placing your vote in approval of those products. Again, buying something here or there is one thing, but filling your cart with GMO filled products is a very bold vote in favor of GMOs. I’m not trying to bash those of you out there who eat a lot of processed foods. I am merely trying to say that there are so many people who say they are anti-GMO, but vote very differently when they are at the checkout lane at the grocery store.
So what about buying certified organic processed foods? Well, certified organic, according to the FDA, only needs to contain 95% organic ingredients in order to get that certification. That leaves a 5% margin for unwanted ingredients. Again, something to think about.
So, next time you’re writing out your shopping list or are meal planning start thinking about where you stand on the GMO controversy and where you want to place your vote. And if you tell me you cannot afford whole foods then please see my post from last summer about whole foods on a budget. Trust me, if I can afford for my family to eat a whole foods diet on our tight budget you can too!