Joining the cloth diapering world can be a bit daunting. I know when I first started I was a bit overwhelmed by all the choices and I had no idea what I really needed to get started.
How many diapers do you need to get started?
- I highly recommend having at least two dozen diapers in the style of your choice. This number is different if you are using only a hybrid system ( 6 covers and 24 inserts is recommended ). This number is based on changing 8-10 times a day and washing your diapers every to every other day.
- You may find that you want a much larger stash then this but two dozen is a good starting point for a new cloth diapering mama.
- You will also want a wet pail or wetbags to keep soiled diapers in until washing.
- If you use rash cream, you will need to get something that is cloth diaper safe or invest in a liner that you can put in the diaper to protect it from the diaper cream. There are several cloth diaper safe ointments available online.
- The last thing you need is a cloth diaper safe laundry detergent. You can buy home made detergents online, use a free and clear store bought or make your own soap.
Other items that come in handy with cloth diapering but are not a must have include -
- Diaper sprayers
- Cloth wipes and wipe solution ( if you do not just wet the wipe when needed )
- Wool and wool care products
- Clothes line or drying rack
- swim diapers ( so much better then buying little swimmers but you can use the pocket part of a pocket diaper as well )