PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and nursing but advised to wean?

heidip2p
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
HI, I am hoping you mamas can give me some advice. You all were such lifesavers for Q and I when we first started nursing. :)
Quinton is 14 months old. He still nurses 4-6 times per day. He eats plenty of solids and drinks water from a sippy cup. :) I am also almost 9 weeks pregnant. I went to my first OB appt today. My dr. is out of town so my appt. was with his nurse. When I told her I was still nursing she said "Oh, he will suggest you stop right away now that you are pregnant." I really had no intentions of weaning him yet. Our nursing relationship is going really well. I think he nurses more for comfort than nourishment at this point.
So, I guess I am looking for some facts. Am I putting my unborn baby at any risk by still nursing? I would love any info you can share. I want to what is best for all 3 of us:thumbsup:

Gloriel
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I've nursed through 4 pregnancies and am currently nursing through my 5th. If you're not having any problems with the pregnancy then there is no need to wean at all.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/links-nursingpregnant.html

vmomma
06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree with the prior post. If you have a history of pre-term labor or another complication during pregnancy, then you should not take a risk. Otherwise, you should be fine to continue nursing. I think your doc must be very cautious because they have seen it all!

BabyD'sMommy
06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I saw the MW that ended up delivering DD when I went to my first OB appt. She suggested that I wean since that is the "recommendation", but said she has many women that don't and continue on with successful pregnancies. I thought she was going to give me a hard time because at my pp visit after DD she told me that I would have to wean if I got pregnant again soon after having my daughter, but she didn't. I told her it wasn't up for discussion and that I have no intention of stopping. I researched it a lot before TTC and am now 9w pregnant and nursing my almost 1 year old. The OB I normally see at the practice said if anyone tells me that I have to stop nursing during an otherwise healthy pregnancy than they are wrong and not to let them discourage me.

LunaBirch
06-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Generally its fine to continue.. however it also isn't uncommon for your older nursling to self-wean during pregnancy either due to changes in the taste and quantity of milk.

dairyfarmermama
06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
If you aren't having any problems now, just keep going. I have done it. My midwife has always said that it shouldn't be a problem, and that the main concern is nutrition for the unborn baby. Just make sure you are always eating enough healthy foods.

supergirljennie
06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
If you aren't having any problems now, just keep going. I have done it. My midwife has always said that it shouldn't be a problem, and that the main concern is nutrition for the unborn baby. Just make sure you are always eating enough healthy foods.

Nutrition for the unborn baby isn't the concern - but yours is. All your resources will be distributed in this order: unborn baby, nursling, and then you. You will come last. Make sure you are eating well and taking vitamins!

I see a rotating practice and I am due the same time you are :D I see a midwife and 2 OBs. The OBs want me to wean, the midwife told me that my 19m old son is too young too wean. Guess which one I am listening to? LOL As long as you aren't having issues, keep nursing your child. Women have nursed and been pregnant forever.

cupcakewright
06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I agree with all PP keep nursing as long as your LO will let you! Don't be suprised if he weans some time in the next few months, it can happen when your milk changes.

foolsgold
06-18-2010, 08:05 PM
another +1 for not having to wean unless there is a history of problems w/ past pregnancies (consider it) or problems with this pregnancy (highly consider it). With a healthy 'normal' pregnancy there is no issue with nursing but your eldest may wean due to your milk changing especially towards the end of the pregnancy.

NebraskaGirl82
06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, my midwife had no issues with me continuing to nurse, she did caution that DD2 might not want to as much because sometimes the taste of the milk can change. She even mentioned tandem nursing, which surprised be- in a good way!

I wound up weaning at 12 weeks pg though, I was so sick and had to be medicated for it. I was weak and nursing was not helping, weaning honestly saved me, it was all I could do to get out of bed in the morning.

kgmom
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I would think you'd be ok as long as there are no concrete medical reasons for you to wean now. I was still nursing my 15-month old when I got pregnant again, and I continued nursing him. He self-weaned a few months later at 18 months, and I have to assume it was at least partly due to changes in my milk & lower supply due to pregnancy.

ajones225
06-19-2010, 05:41 AM
My son was still nursing 4-6 times per day (and at night) when I got pregnant so I thought there was no chance he would wean, but he just stopped, at around 12 weeks of pregnancy when he was 13 months old. :( Don't be surprised if he weans soon, naturally, but don't stop nursing if he doesn't! Just make sure you are getting all of the nutrition you need.

MammaNilsson
06-19-2010, 07:13 PM
If the nurse is right, you probably need a new OB/GYN unless you can convince your doctor to support your decision(s). Medically, there's no more risk associated to nursing while pregnant than there is to being intimate w/ your partner/husband while pregnant.

Drink LOTS! Make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and if you're serious, you might want to check out the book 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' by Hilary Flower. It's a fantastic resource that pretty much will answer every question you might have w/ what is known and what women have experienced in the course of nursing while pregnant. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm currently nursing 3, having nursed through 2 pregnancies and never quite completely weaned my first child...although I suspect she'll have finished w/ nursing before the summer is over.

Congratulations on your newly expected little one! :goodvibes:

joy7s
06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
my dd #2 nursed through pg and I plan to with my third.. just ignore that "good advice" and read lll website!! ;) my third did change her nursing habits as my milk changed now it's only once a day sometimes.. but yeah I plan on nursing the whole time and tandem later.

eta this time I just told my mw that I was nursing and not planning to stop. She had no comment ;)

Greenbabybottoms
06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I nursed through my entire second pregnancy even with hyperemesis that lasted the entire 40 + weeks and being medicated and on bedrest for it. My midwives actually encouraged me to continue nursing if that's what I wanted to do and when my labor slowed down after several hours they asked if I could nurse my oldest.

Like everyone else has said unless you are at risk for pre term labor there really is no reason to stop.

MammaNilsson
06-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that our midwife didn't discourage me from nursing while pregnant at all (she told me that many of her clients nurse throughout their pregnancies) and doctors with current information on the topic usually don't either. The problems are usually w/ medical professionals who are biased or uninformed on what is currently known.:goodvibes:

MotherHubbar
06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I didnt have time to read all the other posts as I am NAK right now lol So I apologize if this has already been said...

The reason the DR will advice you to wean is because nursing causes the uterus to contact and can, but rarely, cause miscarriage in early pregnancy. Im sure your fine since he is older and is likely not nursing ALL THE TIME like a tiny one would. So many people out there successfully breastfeed through pregnancy and then tandem nurse their oldest and youngest, so its absolutely do able!

Usually the best thing to do is smile and nod at the Dr and change the subject. :)

*~Mindy~*
06-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Unless there are issues then there isn't a reason to quit. Ugh.
I've tandem nursed then tandem nursed through another pregnancy and then tandem some more after :D.

MammaNilsson
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
The reason the DR will advice you to wean is because nursing causes the uterus to contact and can, but rarely, cause miscarriage in early pregnancy. Im sure your fine since he is older and is likely not nursing ALL THE TIME like a tiny one would.

Actually, that's some of the misinformation that's long since been disproven that he may be basing that advice on, but it's simply not true. The release of oxcytocin (which is the hormone released during nursing which causes the uterus to contract) is less during nursing than during orgasm, but in addition to that they've also learned that the uterus itself isn't receptive to the oxcytocin released while nursing until 37 weeks (by which time baby is full term). ...but you can understand why a doctor would make the recommendation to wean if he/she didn't have current knowledge on the topic. :goodvibes:

elizabeth429
06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
I am 16 weeks along and still nursing for half of DD's feedings. My milk supply did drop, but I say as long as you and your LO are comfortable, continue!

My doc actually REALLY surprised me at my 8 week appointment. I was prepared to fight the battle to continue nursing, and when I told her I wanted to continue she thought it was great! She actually advised me against weaning, and told me if I decided to wean to wait until after the 16th week of my pregnancy because it would cause a drop in progesterone which will affect my mood and the pregnancy. I have no intentions of weaning but thought it was awesome to hear not to wean!