06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Now how much do I take?? :giggle2:

katiecornflakes
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I take a tablespoon a day. Yum! :yuck:

MommyScott
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I take a tablespoon a day. Yum! :yuck:

how do you take it? straight? mix it in with something?

katiecornflakes
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I've tried mixing it in a bunch of different things - smoothie, oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce. I find it so revolting that I was mad it was messing up the taste of things I like! LOL. So now I just mix it with half a glass of water, plug my nose, down that, down some water, then drink some juice, and THEN release my nose. Yup, I can't wait to get pg and stop taking this darn stuff!! I do think it's helping, though. :thumbsup:

slimy72
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Mine is in capsuls, will the capsuls still work, or does it have to be powder? It looks like powder in the capsuls?

katiecornflakes
06-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I've heard the powder is better absorbed but I don't know how true that really is. The powder is also cheaper. :goodvibes:

slimy72
06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I was curious so I opened one up, it's just powder inside one of those vegi based capsuls, so not like a compressed tablet or anything. It was the only thing my local health food store had so that's what I got, I didn't even think to look for powder. I asked for maca they pointed me to these.

armywife08
06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I've heard the powder is better absorbed but I don't know how true that really is. The powder is also cheaper. :goodvibes:

but the powder is in the capsules so what's the difference? just curious!!

my maca helps tremendously!!

katiecornflakes
06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm guessing it has to do with how long it takes to breakdown the capsule itself to get the powder out. Maybe by the time that happens there's less of a chance for absorption. Not totally sure though. Maybe it's a bunch of BS!

Buena
06-24-2010, 02:46 AM
my dh is from peru, i had no idea about maca, i use to have it at my inlaws in quaker. i think the spanish store sells it here! ill have to check tomarrow.

zaeaton
06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok, where do you get your powder and what brand? I only have the capsules.

Janine
06-24-2010, 01:24 PM
A tablespoon per day is the recommended dose. Capsules with powder in them are just as good. No difference. The reason capsules are not as popular, is that it takes a LOT of them to get your 1 tablespoon, and they are more expensive. If you can tolerate the taste, the powder is cheaper and more convenient considering the recommended dosage. I mixed mine with smoothies. My friend loves putting hers in chocolate soy milk or in chocolate smoothies. Personally, I was a bigger fan of putting it in fruit smoothies.

katiecornflakes
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
This (http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Naturals-Organic-Superfood-16-Ounce/dp/B000FFLHU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1277410805&sr=8-1) is the brand I use - Navitas. They have it at my grocery store in what my friend calls the "hippie section." :giggle2: They also have it at my local health food store or you'll see my link is to Amazon so you could always do that.

MommyScott
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
A tablespoon per day is the recommended dose. Capsules with powder in them are just as good. No difference. The reason capsules are not as popular, is that it takes a LOT of them to get your 1 tablespoon, and they are more expensive. If you can tolerate the taste, the powder is cheaper and more convenient considering the recommended dosage. I mixed mine with smoothies. My friend loves putting hers in chocolate soy milk or in chocolate smoothies. Personally, I was a bigger fan of putting it in fruit smoothies.

what would you compare the taste of maca root to? what's your smoothie recipe? :D

MommyScott
06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
This (http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Naturals-Organic-Superfood-16-Ounce/dp/B000FFLHU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1277410805&sr=8-1) is the brand I use - Navitas. They have it at my grocery store in what my friend calls the "hippie section." :giggle2: They also have it at my local health food store or you'll see my link is to Amazon so you could always do that.

that's the kind we have here too!

armywife08
06-24-2010, 02:26 PM

oh no! i don't think i'm taking enough then!!! :cry: i thought just the one capsule! :banghead: fml i'll have to look it up to make a tablespoon. GAAAH!

Janine
06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
what would you compare the taste of maca root to? what's your smoothie recipe? :D

It is so hard to describe. It is strong, and starchy. Can't really describe the taste though. For smoothies, I usually just threw some frozen strawberries and raspberries in the blender with a fresh banana and some rice milk. Then threw in the tablespoon of Maca. It isn't delicious, but I found (and I hear this a lot), that you get used to the taste after a while.

MomsGirl
06-26-2010, 02:09 PM
What is this used for?