PDA

View Full Version : Red dye 40 in Beef???

EmnJJsMom
02-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know if commercial hamburger/ground beef/etc has red dye 40 in it??? I have hear rumors that they dye it sometimes so it doesnt look so fatty, but what do they dye it with?? DD is allergic to red dye 40 and 90% of the time we eat organic beef, but there is still that 10% of the time that we dont. She doesn't like beef now, but is it something I should worry about and avoid when she starts liking meat???

Namaste
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Geeze, I don't know. How about checking with the USDA website?

ceilismom
02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I didn't make a research project out of it, but online the only reference I can find to red dye in meat is red dye #3 used in highly processed meats (some hot dogs, sausages, stuff like that). Red dye #40 I only find referenced in some sauces: http://www.red40.com/pages/foods/sauces.html

Luv2bemommy
02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Bleh.... :yuck:

Dawnn
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
My family is a Feingold family...we don't eat (or use body care products with) artificial colors, flavors or the preservatives BHT, TBHQ, or BHA. All of them are petroleum by products and everyone in my family noticed a huge sensitivity to them after we eliminated them from our diets. We have to buy our meat either from the meat counter where it is certified to not have those substances in it, or buy the animal and have it butchered by a butcher we trust. I'll try to find you a link sometime tonight.

Cryssie
02-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I do know they have to have it listed if it is put in. I know they normally use it in processed meat. Usually that is dye 3.

Dawnn
02-23-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.feingold.org/ is the link to the Feingold Association.

There are several legal loopholes to allow companies to not list colors/additives/preservatives on their labels. This was the most recent one I remember hearing about in the Feingold Pure Facts newsletter. A company lists no artificial colors on their ice cream label but all of the sudden Feingold kids are reacting like crazy to it. The Feingold Association researches it and finds out that the new provider of the frozen strawberries adds red 40 to make their strawberries look prettier. The ice cream company is not required by law to disclose that red 40 because they did not add any red 40 to their ice cream, it was in another ingredient. Said company lists their ice cream as "All Natural, No Artificial Anything." That's why Feingold Families shop out of a "foodlist" of acceptable brands/products that the manufacturer has voluntarily released all ingredients in their product. It's hard because it changes all the time when a company will add this or that and not have to change the label because they're legally allowed to use up their remaining labels before they have new updated labels printed. Food labeling in the US is not as accurate as the FDA would have us believe.

Ashwin'sMommy
02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the link - it seems like soemhting I would be itnereested in!

Tara

There are several legal loopholes to allow companies to not list colors/additives/preservatives on their labels. This was the most recent one I remember hearing about in the Feingold Pure Facts newsletter. A company lists no artificial colors on their ice cream label but all of the sudden Feingold kids are reacting like crazy to it. The Feingold Association researches it and finds out that the new provider of the frozen strawberries adds red 40 to make their strawberries look prettier. The ice cream company is not required by law to disclose that red 40 because they did not add any red 40 to their ice cream, it was in another ingredient. Said company lists their ice cream as "All Natural, No Artificial Anything." That's why Feingold Families shop out of a "foodlist" of acceptable brands/products that the manufacturer has voluntarily released all ingredients in their product. It's hard because it changes all the time when a company will add this or that and not have to change the label because they're legally allowed to use up their remaining labels before they have new updated labels printed. Food labeling in the US is not as accurate as the FDA would have us believe.

camdensmommy
02-24-2007, 04:52 AM

We do Feingold too. Well, I guess we don't because we don't follow everything but I have all the material. Which PureFacts is this one in? I've been lazy about reading them. Was this Breyers ice-cream by any chance?

twosisters
02-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I know they do add red dye to most beef sold in mainstream stores. That is how it looks so red. I'm not sure of which dye but you could ask the meat manager where you shop.

karmamama
02-24-2007, 07:24 AM
That's so gross, I just used ground beef last night and was thinking how weirdly red it was :yuck:

The Feingold thing looks interesting. I dunno about the $$ though. I'll have to read their page a bit more thoroughly.

mamaneedsanap
02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
It used to be carbon monoxide keeping it red but I tried to find that and it looks like they are going to stop using that method or are trying to.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/another_great_r.php

http://www.nbc5.com/money/6706013/detail.html?rss=chi&psp=news

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060925114157.htm

kocho
02-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I used to work in a grocery store (not the meat department though) and the meat department always ordered red dye. I don't know what no., but I know they used it to keep the meat looking red.

Dawnn
02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure which Pure Facts...it might have even been in the book you get when you join. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. I honestly didn't re-up my membership this year. I needed a database to keep track of all the foodlist changes every month. We do well enough now that we can see what DS1 reacts to pretty quickly and just eliminate it. (Why, do your kids react to Breyers Strawberry? My kids don't, but they prefer vanilla anyways)

For the person who was concerned about the money, it's not a for-profit thing. It costs money to keep publishing the foodlist, keep the data current, and maintain the message boards/website. I don't think they're making a fortune, but there are people on the payroll who do administrative stuff just like other non-profit groups.