PDA

View Full Version : No 'poo alternatives

Alisa
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I recently tried "no pooing" with BC and ACV and was really dissapointed; I wanted to love it!! From reading old posts it sounds like hard water is my issue and a water softener is not in my near future.

I also tried Dr. Bronner's but my hair was left the same: extremely knotted and unmanageable (I have very long naturally curly hair that never knots with regular shampoo and conditioner)

Does anyone have other natural alternatives that they've had success with?? I'm tired of buying expensive "natural" and "organic" shampoos and conditioners that aren't even that natural...

rachelanne820
07-28-2010, 05:48 AM
I had the same problems. I just couldn't make it work for me.

I ended up going back to commercial shampoo. I use Avalon Organics but it is pricey.

I was planning on trying no poo again in the winter. I have super thick hair and in the summer it gets sweaty. So, I thought maybe in the winter the baking soda wouldn't have such a hard job!

I recently tried "no pooing" with BC and ACV and was really dissapointed; I wanted to love it!! From reading old posts it sounds like hard water is my issue and a water softener is not in my near future.

I also tried Dr. Bronner's but my hair was left the same: extremely knotted and unmanageable (I have very long naturally curly hair that never knots with regular shampoo and conditioner)

Does anyone have other natural alternatives that they've had success with?? I'm tired of buying expensive "natural" and "organic" shampoos and conditioners that aren't even that natural...

BellyLove
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I also tried the Baking Soda/ ACV no 'poo' and I didn't like it at all. I now use Dr. Bronner's. But my hair is very short and fine/thin, so I don't have tangle problems. I would also love to know what anyone else uses.

spottycat
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
:popcorn:

twolittlebeans
07-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I use these shampoo bars: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm but I still need a conditioner with our hard water and my long hair and I use Giovanni Organic Triple Treat conditioner. Its a great combo for me :)

purpledayz
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I have really wavy dry hair and the best natural shampoo and conditioner I've found is the Yes To line. In the reviews I read a couple people complained that the conditioner was too heavy so I decided it was probably perfect for my unruly head of hair.

DreamingTree
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Ooooooh! I tried no-pooing as well and was very disappointed with the results. Really, my obsession with it lasted quite awhile. One day my very sweet husband had to break it to me that my hair stunk and was, "not as fluffy and pretty" as it used to be. I have to admit, I do have some badass hair for the most part and when I really took a look in the mirror and was honest with myself, it had started to look oily and limp. So, I was forced back into shampoo and conditioner. But...now that I hear soft water helps I might try again. Pray for my longsuffering husband :-)

GEM Cloth
07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
My girls have very thick, long, curly hair and I shampoo it with Dr. Bronners and use a thick commercial conditioner and go through it with a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is still in there. After the shower I put olive oil in it.

Hailey
07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I use shampoo bars from Country Soaps by Marlene (http://hyenacart.com/countrysoapsbymarlene/index.php?c=29) with an ACV rinse. Works great for me, and we have pretty hard water here!

Kayleen
07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
You can try co-washing your hair - Using conditioner only. As long as there are no 'cones in it - silicones, etc it might work better for you. Once every few days I mix a little baking soda into the conditioner and I have great luck with good clean hair. I use Burt's Bees moistureizing conditioner. So far so good.

Alisa
07-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies :) Looks like I have a few more avenues before totally giving up!!

ducttape
07-28-2010, 10:12 PM
A mixture of lemon juice and conditioner always worked the best for me (I can't remember the ratio, but it was in the Curly Girl book). I was sooo happy with my hair (thick & curly/wavy) all the time! I got lazy and switched back to regular stuff and have not been at all happy recently, so I'm going to go back to lemon juice soon.

One thing to remember, when you're first switching to no-shampoo, is that it takes a few weeks for your scalp to adjust and stop making as much oil. You'll HATE your hair for that first bit (or at least I did), but if you make it through, you'll end up loving it. :goodvibes:

daisy3_kel
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I've been using Soap nuts liquid for just the last couple of weeks. I haven't noticed a difference in my hair at all- except in the shower it feels dry, like it needs conditioner. But once it is dry it is much softer than before. I've never read anything about others using soap nuts for 'no-poo' but on the list of uses on the package it said shampoo so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good!

Oh- and my hair is shoulder length, straight,thick and is prone to tangles. Maybe once you get over the 'hump' and your hair has its natural oils back, you won't get the tangles anymore???

mel j
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I tried it for awhile too (a few months actually) and was wondering the same thing. I can't seem to get it right. I also switched from ACV to lemon juice...and I do that once in awhile, but ended up just using regular shampoo & conditioner. But now I don't like the shampoo & conditioner we usually use either. :giggle: Plus I think my daughter's skin may be sensitive to it. :(

Kayleen
07-30-2010, 07:39 AM
I found my hair got really dry on the ends with just BS/ACV. With using the conditioner only with the occassional BS mixed in, I have much better results. My scalp does so much better and my ends aren't fried. Lemon Juice is expensive so that isn't an option for me.

KMSwartz
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Just a quick note about no-pooing. I've been using baking soda and ACV since last Feb. This year toward the end of my pregnancy things just weren't working out. My hair was feeling greasy and heavy all of the time. I read a blog that said to put the baking soda mixture on dry hair (instead of wetting first) and let it sit for 1-3 minutes before rinsing. That works great and now my hair is back to fluffy. Thought I'd pass this tidbit along in case it helps someone else.

honaras
07-31-2010, 12:31 PM
what measurements do you use for ACV or lemon juice (<-- that's a new one for me!)

i use an old glass salsa jar for my BS and another jar to pour in the ECV; i keep the whole ECV jug under my sink. i usually pour about an inch worth of it (1/4 c.?), then fill the rest with water.

what's your routine?

Alisa
07-31-2010, 01:06 PM
I was using an old shampoo bottle mixed 1/3 with water and 2/3 BS (a paste did NOT work for me because my hair is sooooo thick that I felt I was using way too much). I squirt that on my roots while my hair is dry, kind of like dyeing your hair at home, and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse well. (At this point my hair feels like GARBAGE!! Sooo dry feeling and knotted!)
Then I pour 1/4 to a 1/2c-ish of ACV in the bottom of a yogurt tub, fill with water, turn my head upside down and try and get all of my ends in to soak for a few seconds. Then I pour 1/2 of the mixture over my hair and scalp from the nape of my neck down, flip right side up, (trying not to burn my eyes out with the ACV, LOL!!) and pour the rest from my forehead back.

I can't believe we do all this to ourselves!! :loony:

The ACV makes it feel a TEENY bit better but not a whole lot. I can't even comb my hair with the most giant wide toothed comb you've ever seen! And my hair usually has no knots after washing it with shampoo and cond (silicone free).

I'm curious about the co-washing thing. Do you put the BS+Conditioner all over, or just on the roots and then conditioner everywhere else??

Alisa
07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't have a newer photo with my hair long, but this is what we're dealing with, almost down to my waist....

Hailey
07-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I was using an old shampoo bottle mixed 1/3 with water and 2/3 BS (a paste did NOT work for me because my hair is sooooo thick that I felt I was using way too much). I squirt that on my roots while my hair is dry, kind of like dyeing your hair at home, and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse well. (At this point my hair feels like GARBAGE!! Sooo dry feeling and knotted!)
Then I pour 1/4 to a 1/2c-ish of ACV in the bottom of a yogurt tub, fill with water, turn my head upside down and try and get all of my ends in to soak for a few seconds. Then I pour 1/2 of the mixture over my hair and scalp from the nape of my neck down, flip right side up, (trying not to burn my eyes out with the ACV, LOL!!) and pour the rest from my forehead back.

I can't believe we do all this to ourselves!! :loony:

The ACV makes it feel a TEENY bit better but not a whole lot. I can't even comb my hair with the most giant wide toothed comb you've ever seen! And my hair usually has no knots after washing it with shampoo and cond (silicone free).

I'm curious about the co-washing thing. Do you put the BS+Conditioner all over, or just on the roots and then conditioner everywhere else??

Do you brush your hair before you get in the shower? That helps me tremendously with knots after showering! And I only use maybe 2-3 tbsp of ACV in about 1 liter of water(which I do right after I use my shampoo bar, and don't rinse out until the very end, so maybe 10 minutes it stays in) then I rinse with cool water. I also put a few drops of jojoba oil and rub it through my hair before I brush it. I do not have any split ends and I haven't cut my hair in over a year:goodvibes:

Alisa
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I think I'm definitely going to try the shampoo bar idea. I've tried one in the past and wasn't happy because my hair felt dull and weighed down. But the option of rinsing with the ACV gives me hope! And I always brush before showering - other curly haired ladies would know that it's the ONLY time you can brush it once it's dry...unless you like the giant poof look :)

fr0ggybaby
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
i dont totally understand this 'no poo' thing. is it just to avoid all the chemicals?? if so then try the do it your self shampoo and conditioners..i know mayo really works on conditioning. and beer is supposed to be a good rinse also. here's a link i found googling 'natural conditioner recipies'
http://tangergreen.com/green-hair-conditioner-recipe-for-super-natural-hair/ and
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hair.html
theres a ton out there. hth. (and i love making my own, knowing whats in it and adding my own scents!! have fun!)