PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the difference in Baptist and Methodist beliefs?

bama
08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I was raised in both the Baptist and Church of Christ faiths. I have been considering going to a local Methodist church, because we have friends that are involved in this church, and that is where my son goes to preschool. But, as I was not raised in the Methodist church, I don't know much about it. Can someone please help me? :blush:

TyAndCheyMommy
08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
One major difference- Methodists allow batism at any time- basically they will babtise an infant- all the way up to someone who is elderly. Where an Babtists babtise to someone who has gone through communion courses and expresses their desire to give their life to christ. Basically Babtists are stating they want the people to be well informed and study on why they want to be babtised- and Methodists believe that no matter how much you know- you are welcome at any point to be babtised.
Methodist churches are also more "grouped" where they answer to Bishops... where Babtists are more individual churches.
And to me the biggest difference- Methodists believe that if you sin after you have accepted Christ- then you have fallen and have to re accept Chrits. Where Babtists are a little more forgiving- and do not believe that one sin means you have lost God.

eaglewife126
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
i don't know many of the details...but i can tell you the differences are very minimal.
dh and i are baptist, but have gone to a methodist church a few times lately, the pastor is a good friend of ours. the way he explained it to us, the belief system is pretty much the same....but they do things a little differently during church services, and thats the biggest difference.
i would absolutely suggest going, and just checking it out. dh and i have not had any problems at the methodist church we've been going to, there has been nothing that we've disagreed with or felt uncomfortable about. my mil is actually the one who told us we should give it a go, because we have had a horrible time finding a local baptist church that we felt at home with. good luck!! :)

TyAndCheyMommy
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I realize now I kind of made Methodists seem more strict- but in my experience they are actually a bit more relaxed.

Docs Wife
08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I was raised Methodist but have been to a Baptist church before. Not enough to notice any major differences in teachings and such. I know one of the major differences is that Methodist baptise as infants and then confirm later in life. The Baptist on the other hand baptise later in life and do not confirm.

Leah52
08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
There are some Methodist churches, particularly those labeled Wesleyan, that do not baptize infants and preach "once saved, always saved" so the line between them and Baptists is very narrow. I am Baptist and have been to a local Methodist church and not had any problems with Sunday morning sermons, not sure about other classes or services though.

bama
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks! I had heard that infant baptisim was one of the only major differences, but I wasn't sure. Isn't another that Methodists "allow" women as church pastors also?

stacieandtheboys
08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I grew up Methodist. My dad was a Methodist minister. We go to a Methodist church now. My husband grew up Catholic. We do infant baptism and then confirmation at around 5th 6th grade. We also do Holy Communion usually once a month on the first Sunday of the month. Anyone is welcome to take communion no matter if you are a member or not, baptized or not. The church does allow women pastors as well. Some are more formal where others are more contemporary.

http://www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.1707359/k.BE59/Beliefs.htm

here is a link to the "beliefs" section of the United Methodist Church website.

TyAndCheyMommy
08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I grew up Methodist. My dad was a Methodist minister. We go to a Methodist church now. My husband grew up Catholic. We do infant baptism and then confirmation at around 5th 6th grade. We also do Holy Communion usually once a month on the first Sunday of the month. Anyone is welcome to take communion no matter if you are a member or not, baptized or not. The church does allow women pastors as well. Some are more formal where others are more contemporary.

http://www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.1707359/k.BE59/Beliefs.htm

here is a link to the "beliefs" section of the United Methodist Church website.

Just wanted to say "HI"- My dad is a Methodist minister too :lostit:

myblessedbaby
08-15-2010, 07:59 PM
And to me the biggest difference- Methodists believe that if you sin after you have accepted Christ- then you have fallen and have to re accept Chrits. Where Babtists are a little more forgiving- and do not believe that one sin means you have lost God.

I'm Methodist and don't think I've ever heard this about re-accepting Christ.

I grew up going to both Methodist and Baptist churches and really don't see a huge difference in both, other than the baptism thing. There may be some differences in the worship services, but not anything that should prevent you from feeling at home in a Methodist church. I say you might as well give it a try!

stacieandtheboys
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Just wanted to say "HI"- My dad is a Methodist minister too :lostit:

Cool :)

My dad left full time ministry after 12 years and went on to teach and become a high school principal. 6 years after he left full time though he took a part time job at a small local church that couldn't afford someone full time. He was there for probably another 12 ish years. He is retired now although he still fills the pulpit occasionally, weddings of close friends, funerals. He even was able to participate in the baptism of my youngest which was cool. Now he teaches Sunday school every Sunday. I miss hearing him preach. I didn't appreciate it as a kid but boy I do now :)

MyFourStars
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
One major difference- Methodists allow batism at any time- basically they will babtise an infant- all the way up to someone who is elderly. Where an Babtists babtise to someone who has gone through communion courses and expresses their desire to give their life to christ. Basically Babtists are stating they want the people to be well informed and study on why they want to be babtised- and Methodists believe that no matter how much you know- you are welcome at any point to be babtised.
Methodist churches are also more "grouped" where they answer to Bishops... where Babtists are more individual churches.

I've been going to Methodist churches my entire life and have never heard this.

The biggest difference in the churches that I've been to have been the people and the atmosphere. Methodists are MUCH more relaxed, laid back, and I've always had fun during service and fellowship. Baptist services have always left me very unfulfilled. I don't find Fire-and-Brimstone worship appealing. Baptist services were usually more formal than what I was comfortable with as well. I'm more of a "casual Friday" than a "Sunday's Best" kind of gal.