PDA

View Full Version : My child ate an acorn?

*Willow*
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
We were outside playing and my 4yr old collects an acorn. He shows it to his brother (almost 2) and they began playing with it. Normally he isn't the kind of kid to put things in his mouth, I think he's mostly outgrown that phase.
Anywho we go inside the house to prepare for dinner. The acorn in a matter of 2 or 3 min disappears with my 4yr old insisting that his brother ate it. Immediately I do a sweep of his mouth thinking there is no way, and I find no fragments. I smell his breath and didn't smell anything. I say are you sure? And again my 4yr old replies yea he ate it. Now it wasn't a large acorn, but it wasn't small either, I think to myself that there would have to be chewing because he couldn't have swallowed it whole, I don't think anyway. Not without choking or me noticing first. So I don't know what to think.
We have a missing acorn and a brother who swears the other ate it. What's your thoughts?

Are acorns harmful if eaten?

Leah52
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Native Americans ate acorns.

~happy2Bamommy~
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
They can actually be dried and ground into flour (at least the ones here can :thumbsup:) DH will actually munch on raw ones as well. I bet your kiddo will be just fine!

*Willow*
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks mamas, I didn't think they were harmful. I can recall eating some as a youngster and I'm still alive :giggle: just wanted to make sure, KWIM.

nceveritt
09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
:giggle2: The things that kids do!

momofdolls
09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
only when the tree starts growing! lol

hilaryisinked
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
haha I ate quite a few of those growing up.

Maverick's Mama
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
If it doesn't digest it'll just come out the other end :giggle:

kstar
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Look for it in a couple of days hehe...theyre not harmful

MamaStick
09-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Nope, not harmful. I'm part Lumbee Indian (a North Carolina tribe) and my grandmother would send me out to collect acorns for her acorn bread and pancakes.

The bitter stuff is tannin. It can cause stomach upset if a lot is ingested--we would leech it out by grinding the acorns, then washing over and over with water.

Your little one should be just fine. My only worry is the coming out part...if you notice that there is a bit of straining going on, see if you can get some olive oil in that tummy. Will help move things along :-)

amitchell98
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Did he eat it w/ the shell on? Or did they take the nut out?

JennTheMomma
09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Not harmful. I'm part Dakota Sioux and I use to eat raw acorns as a kid. DH ate one just the other day at the park, but only because I told him I use to eat them.

*Willow*
09-02-2010, 12:35 PM
He ate it shell and all, although like I said before I am not totally sure he did actually eat it.
Thanks for all the replies!

Kiliki
09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
If these were my kids, I'd believe my older one and think the younger one was probably playing with it in his mouth and accidentally swallowed it! Could that be the case?

:hugs: kids do crazy things sometimes!