PDA

View Full Version : Woven wrap vs. Moby?

AmandaRenee
09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a pouch sling that I use during the day to get DS to nap, but he starts to slouch and then it kills my shoulder. I just got a ring sling off of FSOT and just can't get the hang of it. I decided I want to get a wrap now, but I was wondering what the difference between a Moby and a woven or gauze wrap is? Do they have different stretches or something?

I actually made a wrap from muslin that I haven't had a chance to try, but of course it's at home and I'm at my mom's house for two more weeks. :rolleyes:

Ashlovespat
09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
You'd maybe be okay with a moby for now, but probably not much longer. A moby is a stretchy wrap, and it's really only good up to around 15 pounds or so, though I have heard of moms using them longer...but the heavier babies tend to stretch out and loosen the wrap, as they are being worn, with their weight (past 15-ish pounds). I'd go ahead and get a woven...I've never tried one, but I hear they are awesome! I dont' know anything about gauze...

cojoville
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi, I'm new here to diaperswappers. :) As PP said, a stretchy wrap sags after a bit, but I find it a bit softer on the shoulders than a woven. (I do also wear the stretchy wrap far past 15 pounds though. :D )

myblessedbaby
09-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Since your baby is already over a month old, I'd go for a woven. Stretchy wraps are nice for the newborn stage, but wovens are a better investment (and can be worn with newborns as well). I skipped stretchies and went straight to wovens. They are very supportive. But there is a wide variety of colorways, fiber blends, lengths, thickness...so it can be overwhelming to choose.
Just pick one that you like the color of in a size 6 or 4.6 meters. Once you try a real woven, it'll help you understand what you like/ don't like IRL and you can go from there. There's lots of great deals to be had on TBW FSOT since the economy sucks :)

MamaRachel
09-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Like everyone else said- the Moby is a stretchy wrap, they're great for learning with, very comfy and snuggly with small babies, but as the baby gets bigger they start to stretch out the fabric which puts more strain on your back and is much less comfortable.

Gauze and woven wraps have little to no stretch (though they have some give) and can be comfortably worn with much larger children (I can still easily wear my 3.5 year old in a woven wrap, but he out grew the moby by 6 months) Gauze wraps tend to be less expensive and thinner. They're nice for hot weather, though a lot of people find that the thin material tends to dig in to them more than a woven wrap does.

I hope that all makes sense, let me know if I can clarify anything. :goodvibes:

Strawberree
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I would definitely go for a woven!! It is way more versatile than a stretchy, and you can wear it so many ways. Plus, having that two shouldered support makes it much much easier to wear the little one for longer without killing your back and shoulders.

AmandaRenee
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all of the advice ladies, I really appreciate it!

Now what brands should I be looking for? Whats affordable but good quality? :goodvibes:

lyzyrrd
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Wovens are much more secure, and they grow with you so oyu can do a back carry, moby's are far too stretchy for that

Mom2ManyBlessings
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with everyone else regarding woven vs. stretchy :)

On TheBabyWearer you can find a Didy or a Girasol woven wrap and those are great! I would get a size 6 if you are new to wrapping.

brewanothercup
09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I have giras and didys mostly, and right now am really enjoying my giras. I too say go with a woven - they are so much more versatile.