PDA

View Full Version : cleaning christening outfit-help

angbaby1
10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
ok the christening is next weekend and the outfit i jsut bought is a silky feeling polyester, it reads dry clean only - which i'm not obviously going to do so should i clean by hand like soak it and air dry or put in wash machine on delicate?

delphinium
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I would only dry clean. The point of dry cleaning is it is dry, not wet. So, the manufacturer is telling you that if you wet clean it, you might ruin the whole outfit. Since I don't like to dry clean, I don't buy things that say dry clean only. Since you did, you are stuck with dry cleaning.

If you wait until after the christening, so you don't have to worry if you ruin the outfit, you might try spot cleaning it only with some rubbing alcohol on a rag. That would evaporate quickly but might take stains off. I would not immerse it in water. The manufacturer said dry clean only and that means the fabric should not get wet.

angbaby1
10-16-2010, 01:41 PM
shouldn't i clean it before he wears it though? like all other baby clothes?

Sha-nanagins
10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
The chemicals in new clothing are not all that different from dry cleaning fluid. Especially since it is a special occassion outfit, not something he'll be wearing all day, I'd slip something on underneath - a onesie and tights, for example - and let it be.

deezee02
10-17-2010, 06:21 PM
DD wore a onsie under hers. It has been the one outfit I did not wash first.

delphinium
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM

That is what I would do. And yeah the dry cleaning chemicals are just as bad as what it has on now.

2queens&1princenmyhouse
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM

We did this too. That being said, I hand wash the "dry clean only" items that I have. I'm a garage sale shopper, so I never have that much $ invested, and I pay particular attention not to buy it myself if I'm buying new. I've never ruined anything by hand washing and either hang drying of laying flat to dry.

I wouldn't try it out on the christening outfit though, at least until after it has been worn.