PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

woodchuckmamma
10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't know what this is?!? It's not a poo stain (I keep a 2nd small pail for poopy diapers) and there are several of my flats with these stains. I don't know what it is! The picture is AFTER washing, it was worse when it when into the washer. Could this be from my DS having tylenol?
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1013&pictureid=4830

ohgirlohboyohno
10-18-2010, 07:36 AM
it could be the tylenol - I know my kiddos get stains from tylenol..no idea though - it is usually on the microfiber/hemp stuff we have

Oh and it eventually all washes back out :)

proudmommy5
10-18-2010, 07:48 AM
I didn't know you could get stains from tylenol

woodchuckmamma
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I hope it's just from the tylenol! Little man just cut his first tooth so we've been giving him tylenol at bedtime. My husband thought perhaps mold? But I don't see how that could be since I wash every other day. And it doesn't smell like mold to me. Though it did smell a bit of amonia, but we often have a little of that with the over night diapers. Does tylenol stain? He is only getting one dose per day at bedtime.

woodchuckmamma
10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
So I took a picture before they went into the washer this morning. It's not on all of my diapers, I think it's just his night time ones. And this one did have quite a bit of ammonia stink. But it was also on the bottom of the pail. The weird part is that I don't see anything when I first take it off of him, it shows up after its been in the pail.
Anyways, it's a GMD flat with an orange edge prefold as a doubler for overnight. He didn't soak through or anything, his wool was still dry. Is this from tylenol? Some sort of ammonia issue? Mildew? I'm lost. They smell clean coming out of the washer and they don't smell like ammonia when they come off him. Well his overnights do smell a little bit but it's not bad. Any thoughts?
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1013&pictureid=4863

phridae
10-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh wow momma, I have no idea! Hopefully someone else does!

ANDREA0507
10-20-2010, 08:51 AM
do you use rockin green? that stuff did that to my diapers! :(

woodchuckmamma
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
We use charlie's soap with half a scoop of sun oxygen cleaner

brightland416
10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Wow. I'm interested to find out too!

lele0803
10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
what does your pail look like inside? pail liner?

ANDREA0507
10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
have you always used charlies or is that recent change? I switched back to tide and it stopped happening. I think it's from the cloth diaper detergents not having whiteners and brighteners in them or something because it happened to my diapers and it wasn't caused from poo either :dunno: i really have no clue tho :giggle:

woodchuckmamma
10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I wash my liner with the diapers. Pail looks fine, it's just a white plastic trash can. I wipe it out with a disinfecting wipe once a week

RebekahG77
10-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Could it be mildew?

ThreeLittleCubs
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
yep, grape tylenol. We get those stains when we use grape tylenol. They will eventually wash out. I now get the dye-free tylenol.

groovybaby
10-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Could it be mildew?

This was my thought - how often are you going between washing?

groovybaby
10-20-2010, 09:22 AM
yep, grape tylenol. We get those stains when we use grape tylenol. They will eventually wash out. I now get the dye-free tylenol.

Wow, that is interesting - I never would have thought of that! Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that little tidbit in the back of my mind for future if I ever need it! :giggle:

carriek38
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
There was a similar thread a couple of months ago (unfortunately, I can't remember the title). I think that mama had also used Tylenol:headscratch:.

Anyway, I posted to that one too that I have had a similar issue. Again, only overnight dipes, taken off DD w/ no stains, but turning BLACK w/in about 24 hrs. At the time, I didn't think about it too much. DD had been out of town w/ DP; she had been sick (I don't know if DP gave her Tylenol, but I think so b/c she had a fever), & she had thrown the wetbag w/ 1.5 days' worth of diapers (including 2 nighttime dipes) in the back of the hatchback for a 5 hr drive from NJ. I noticed the staining when I put them in the wash when they got home & I was mad at DP b/c I assumed it was mildew (from being hot in the car). I used All F&C S&M w/ Oxy at the time, then did an OxyVin soak...nothing took those stains out. Even sunning has only faded the stains a bit, but those dipes still look icky. Mine were on a Babykicks fitted w/ a BK hemp insert & a loopy-do (so hemp & MF) & an Sbish w/ both inserts (bamboo & cotton).

I feel your pain about the stains, but I don't think it's anything to get too worried about. We haven't had the problem since, but I don't think we've given DD Tylenol for a couple of days in a row since, either.

woodchuckmamma
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
We wash every other day so I don't think it could be mildew, and if it was then the sun oxy cleaner should take care of it. We have used charlie's since before DS was born. I'm afraid to use mainstream detergent because I am sensitive to it myself. Right now my wash routine is a cold rinse, hot wash with a warm rinse and then a cold rinse.
I guess it's got to be from the tylenol? Poor little doodle has gotten 2 teeth in 1 week so he has been getting cherry tylenol everyday at bedtime. Should I be worried about the ammonia smell?

nurse&mom23
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
My diapers sometimes get an almost teal(yes TEAL) colored stain sometimes...I have been giving him Benadryl for his allergies, I wonder if that could be the reason. :headscratch:

carriek38
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Urg. I wish DD would get some teeth already. She's somewhere around the same age as your LO, OP, & she just screams in the middle of the night without waking herself up. We've been using the Humphrey's teething tabs & an amber necklace & they do help alot. We try not to do Tylenol very frequently, but it could happen in the near future b/c mama needs to get some sleep!

We've been battling some recurrent, horrific diaper rash, so DD has been in sposies at night a lot lately, but before that we were having some nighttime dipe ammonia...it didn't seem to be related to the stained diapers, per se, but I did end up w/ some ammonia buildup in the hemp diapers...I just boiled them & haven't had really strong smelling ammonia since.

CamilikinsMama
10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
That's happend to a couple of my flats/inserts too and I was totally shocked. But now that it's been mentioned, maybe it really is from the Tylenol. I'll have to pay attention next time I give it to him.

starstaindsky
10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Those look like ammonia stains... They're usually purple/gray colored. I had a real issue with it for a few months :(

woodchuckmamma
10-20-2010, 08:11 PM
carriek38-> I hope your LO gets through it soon. I don't like to give much to our DS but he was having such a hard time and was so worn out from waking up that I decided it was more important to help him sleep. The 2nd one is almost completely out now so hopefully we can get a break from it.
starstaindsky-> Now that you say it, it seems like the stains on the hemp prefolds were kind of purple-ish. How did you get rid of them? Did you figure out what was causing them?

Superblonde Mom
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I have these too, on hemp inserts, and wonder how to get rid of them. My kiddos have both been feverish with colds and getting tylenol...and now amoxillin.

AprilIsche
09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I have diapers that look just like this! My GroVia Inserts! I have been giving little man tylenol the last few days because he had his shots....I thought it was mold! Do you think that's what it is? Weird!!

Cmurray1835
09-05-2011, 07:58 PM
What is it with the Tylenol staining? Is it the dyes coming out in the urine?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Housefullofgirls
09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I say time for a big strip especially since you are smelling ammonia.

Saharan
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I think it is probably from the dye in the tylenol too. I always buy the undyed stuff and we have never had stains like that. Kind of scary to think there is that much dye in there that it would come out and stain so bad....crazy!

Saharan
09-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Also if you are getting ammonia I say do a wash with 1/4 cup of bleach and then rinse like crazy. Bleach is the only thing that has worked when we had stinky diapers.

missgen83
09-06-2011, 02:44 AM
I second the bleach! It cured our stinkies!! I used 2 capfuls. Good luck mama!

missgen83
09-06-2011, 02:44 AM
I second the bleach! It cured our stinkies!! I used 2 capfuls. Good luck mama!