PDA

View Full Version : very frustrating...old medical bill--1 1/2 years old!

bean3
01-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I had physical therapy back in the summer of 2009. My insurance was paying promptly and I was watching my EOBs to make sure that nothing was rejected. When the bills came from the physical therapy, I paid them immediately.

The goofballs failed to bill ME for MY portion of the last 7 visits! They billed the insurance and got paid immediately, within a month of the visits. However, they let my portion sit there UNBILLED for 16 months!

What's worse is that, even though my insurance paid them within a month, they REBILLED my insurance 15 months after the dates of service before they billed me for my patient portion. Why?????? Not really sure. They were already paid by the insurance. There was no reason to rebill them. Nothing was inaccurate.

Now I am sitting on bill of $179.74 for services from nearly 1 1/2 years ago. Morons. I get a little tired of hearing how EVIL insurance companies are when these medical facilities sit there and don't bill patient portions for over a year. How exactly do they expect to pay their expenses????

On the bottom of the bill, it says Your prompt payment is greatly appreciated. I really want to send it back and put Your prompt billing is greatly appreciated.

jessandkaitlin
01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
I totally would!

That's crap!

MeandMine
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I could be totally wrong, but I'm not sure you are responsible for the bill if they sat on it for so long. I know that if they don't bill the insurance within a reasonable amount of time, the insurance company can deny it for untimely billing. It might be worth looking into.

bean3
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I already called my insurance company. I knew this from my coding and billing classes, but if they bill my insurance after a year, they reject it and they cannot come after me for the rest, but there is no limitation on how long they can wait to bill me for my co-pay portion of it.

I can however play hardball about it.

I have seen this exact practice personally in three different offices now. Instead of hiring qualified staff to do their billing, they have the front office staff do it when they have time, or when the designated person leaves they just don't rehire the position. Then they leave all of this money on the table for months, sometimes well over a year. Then they cry broke. Really??????? Cry me a river. I have a little sympathy. That's just bad business practices.

Scaethach
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I would DEFINITELY call and complain. We write off anything that hasn't been billed to the patient for a year unless it had some type of extenuating circumstance (like a Work Comp suit settlement, things like that that are known to take ridiculously long amounts of time). It probably just got hung up and forgotten about, and that is their problem and NOT yours. I would make it into a tax issue when you call. Due to their failure to bill you promptly, you can neither pay out of your flex spending nor claim the medical expenses on your tax refund for 2009. Their failure to promptly bill you cost YOU money and you are no longer liable. End of story.

bean3
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I would DEFINITELY call and complain. We write off anything that hasn't been billed to the patient for a year unless it had some type of extenuating circumstance (like a Work Comp suit settlement, things like that that are known to take ridiculously long amounts of time). It probably just got hung up and forgotten about, and that is their problem and NOT yours. I would make it into a tax issue when you call. Due to their failure to bill you promptly, you can neither pay out of your flex spending nor claim the medical expenses on your tax refund for 2009. Their failure to promptly bill you cost YOU money and you are no longer liable. End of story.

Absolutely! It is absolutely ridiculous. I kid you not that this has happened to me SEVERAL times with multiple offices (2 in this town alone). I just cannot fathom how you leave hundreds of dollars on the table like that per patient. Do these people not look at their books?

No extenuating circumstances either. They just didn't bother to send out monthly bills. Nothing fancier than that. Who doesn't send out monthly bills? Well, apparently them, but really?

Angel89411
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I had physical therapy back in the summer of 2009. My insurance was paying promptly and I was watching my EOBs to make sure that nothing was rejected. When the bills came from the physical therapy, I paid them immediately.

The goofballs failed to bill ME for MY portion of the last 7 visits! They billed the insurance and got paid immediately, within a month of the visits. However, they let my portion sit there UNBILLED for 16 months!

What's worse is that, even though my insurance paid them within a month, they REBILLED my insurance 15 months after the dates of service before they billed me for my patient portion. Why?????? Not really sure. They were already paid by the insurance. There was no reason to rebill them. Nothing was inaccurate.

Now I am sitting on bill of $179.74 for services from nearly 1 1/2 years ago. Morons. I get a little tired of hearing how EVIL insurance companies are when these medical facilities sit there and don't bill patient portions for over a year. How exactly do they expect to pay their expenses????

On the bottom of the bill, it says Your prompt payment is greatly appreciated. I really want to send it back and put Your prompt billing is greatly appreciated.

Exactly. I could tell you horror stories from dealing with hospital/PT/Dr billing departments. The ONLY time I had a problem with my ins, they fixed it promptly. Over a year later, I am still fighting with the hospital because they won't do what they need to on their end...process the ins payment. We are talking about an extra $2k outta MY pocket for THEIR laziness....

mrspopo
01-11-2011, 12:33 AM
We did an appraisal on our home, and the $450 fee was supposed to be wrapped up in the refinance. Unfortunately it didn't appraise high enough for us so we couldn't refi. The $450 fee showed up on my credit card out of the blue 8 months later. It was on my spare card that I don't use, and had thought about canceling... too late for that. I was pretty pissed to have such a huge amount show up out of the blue without time to budget or even expect it. It was flagged as possible fraud and I filled out paperwork to have the charges reversed before we finally figured out that it was legit (the mortgage company had changed it's name).

bean3
01-11-2011, 04:12 AM
This is why I refuse to give doctors' office my credit cards for my copays. Have you heard about this? It is called Mpay. They used your credit card to "secure" your visit and then only charge you the balance, so what your cost share is. Well, sure, if they actually get it right. But what if the boneheads pull a stunt like this and bill it 1 1/2 years later? Or what if they forget to adjust off the insurance portion and charge that to your credit card--this happened to me in the last year. Or what happens when THEY bill it incorrectly and it is a rejected claim and then they charge the entire amount to my credit card?

As far as they know, I don't have credit cards and have no way to secure that amount...period.

kbz2002
01-11-2011, 06:11 AM
We actually got caught in that. My husband gave his doctor his card (actually debit) and like 6 months later they charged him for services saying that it never went through originally. Well after getting all the documentation from the banks (because it's my husbands account-who claims he can handle things) I found out that they did indeed charge him originally. So I had to put a claim against the $75 charge because when I showed the doctors office the original charges they said, "no we were told by our accountant that you still owe" and they refused to reverse it.

What a pain!!! They found in my favor and the company removed the $75 charge but it was a pain. Never give your credit card to your doctors office.

ittybittycoconuts
01-11-2011, 07:08 AM
I could be totally wrong, but I'm not sure you are responsible for the bill if they sat on it for so long. I know that if they don't bill the insurance within a reasonable amount of time, the insurance company can deny it for untimely billing. It might be worth looking into.

This is somewhat true. I had the same thing happen but a much larger $ amount I did a 3 way call with my insurance and the office. It got resolved very quickly because no one could bs about anything. There is a law to protect us against this sort of thing and a statute of limitations to collect an unbilled debt.

jesshb
01-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeah, my the pediatric practice my kids went bankrupt (I'm almost 100% sure because of bad billing practices) and had to sell the practice to the local hospital system.

Now I have to deal with the nightmare of all my claims going through out of network until the practice gets re-certified. :banghead:

I've also had your situation before as well. I had blood work done in Oct. of 2009. Come to find out that they did bill promptly but spelled my name wrong. After the initial denial, they sat on it for almost a whole year before refiling and then my insurance company denied it again and then the lab sent me the bill for the total amount. Um...no. It took some persistence to get it all straightened out, but I refuse to be nickled and dimed (or $100 and $1000nds) by this terrible system.

bean3
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I talked to them today. Just as I suspected. The lady who worked there that sat on it a year left in the summer of 2010. Then there was another lady on the job. Then she left and this third lady just stumbled on my unbilled account and sent it out.

She then tells me that my insurance company "just paid" the claims in November 2010. I told her that is INACCURATE; they paid promptly. She then says "oh, I see that they paid immediately...um, oh, I see that we resubmitted them and they were denied". Yes, they were, because the insurance already paid them.

They also said that one date was "billed" but still "unpaid" from the insurance from 06/22/09, so they REBILLED IT!...yes, 1 1/2 years later. I told her good luck getting paid on that.

She apologized for it not being billed promptly but appreciates me paying promptly. I simply told her that they are NOT on my radar in any way shape or form and she cannot bill 1 1/2 years later and expect people to bend over backwards to produce payment. She is going to call her "corporate office". I didn't necessarily say that I was or wasn't going to pay for it (because, in all fairness, I did incur the charges), but I will take my own sweet time doing it since they took 18 months (I checked) to bill me. Honestly, it will drive me nuttier having the bill sitting there and I will probably just pay it outright within the month, but they need to sweat at least a little.

I thoroughly despise business practices like this.

keelykellen&kiera
01-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I swear, sloppy and shady billing is half of the problem with the medical system... I recently got a COLLECTION NOTICE for $427.67 for the birth of my son. He is six and a half years old!!!!!!!!!! The best part is they now want almost $900 because of interest. Well, doesn't really seem right to charge hundreds of dollars in interest for something that hasn't been billed for YEARS, plus I'm 99% sure we paid it all. Unfortunately I don't still have bank statements or credit card statements from 2004 so I haven't been able to prove yet that we paid it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

bjaneen
01-12-2011, 02:24 AM
I swear, sloppy and shady billing is half of the problem with the medical system... I recently got a COLLECTION NOTICE for $427.67 for the birth of my son. He is six and a half years old!!!!!!!!!! The best part is they now want almost $900 because of interest. Well, doesn't really seem right to charge hundreds of dollars in interest for something that hasn't been billed for YEARS, plus I'm 99% sure we paid it all. Unfortunately I don't still have bank statements or credit card statements from 2004 so I haven't been able to prove yet that we paid it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think that after 7 years it can't go on your credit report and there's nothing they can do about collecting it....i'd ignore for the next 3 months. If you want to fight with them your bank or cc company should be able to give you your statements.