PDA

View Full Version : If my package is over 13oz but made label thru PP:

BldrArch
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Can I still put it in my mailbox? Or do I have to take it to the PO? I actually don't think it will even fit in my mailbox...hmmm. But just curious for future reference if I do a parcel post package again...

I read on USPS's website that anything over 13oz with stamps needs to go to the PO...which makes me assume that if I have a preprinted label I could just have my mail person pick it up without scheduling a pick up. :headscratch:

rachelandtyke
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes, you can just stick it in the mail box, or watch for the mail person and hand it over (sometimes that is easier than trying to remember to schedule a pick up!). I've stuck them in the blue drop boxes as well. If it was just a little too big for my mailbox, I've also put it kind of on the door of the mailbox with a rubber band to hold the door up and a little closed to keep it from falling (did that make sense?).

Cute Little Bugs
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
From my understanding you can put packages over 13 oz with paypal labels in the mailbox....I've done and had no problems....

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
From my understanding you can put packages over 13 oz with paypal labels in the mailbox....I've done and had no problems....
:agreed: what they mean are the regular stamps, they don't let you put a bunch of regular stamps on a package and then stick it in the box, you'd have to go into the post office and hand it over so they can weight it to make sure postage is correct. This is what i was told anyway. over 13 oz will be shipped parcel post and can take forever to arrive to the buyer though.

BldrArch
01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
:goodvibes: Thanks ladies! And good idea Rachel...I'll see if I can tack it on the mailbox somehow LOL! our mail person doesn't come the same time everday. Sometimes it's 3pm, sometimes it's 6pm....sigh.

Beesgirl
01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I do it all the time but if it's really big and won't fit in my carriers bag (she walks our neighborhood) I schedule a pick up b/c I'd feel awful leaving something for her to carry that would be hard to manage.

blessedmama2
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing last night. They had a sign posted on the box, but I always dropped them off at the counter at the PO or but them in the drop box.

Harmony96
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Stamps are stamps. A PayPal label counts as "metered mail" which isn't a stamp, so over 13 oz can be dropped wherever is convenient for the sender. :thumbsup:

Jacksmom716
01-12-2011, 06:11 AM
My BFF works for the post office, so I double checked with her the other day....

As long as you can print your own PP label out, it can go in a blue post office box, or be picked up from your home, or you can just leave it on the counter at the PO. Regardless of the weight, or type of mail (including FRB) as long as you print the label out from home and use PP you can do it--she said bottom line is SOMEONE needs to ask whether there is anything liquid fragile perishable, and when you use PP it ties it to your credit card/bank account that you acknowledged that there isn't. The only time you can't just leave/drop a package is if you use stamps on the package, then you need to bring it in to the PO. She also said be careful on the weight--always round up. they are getting really strict in some places and they will send the package back to you!

misskira
01-12-2011, 08:04 AM
My BFF works for the post office, so I double checked with her the other day....

As long as you can print your own PP label out, it can go in a blue post office box, or be picked up from your home, or you can just leave it on the counter at the PO. Regardless of the weight, or type of mail (including FRB) as long as you print the label out from home and use PP you can do it--she said bottom line is SOMEONE needs to ask whether there is anything liquid fragile perishable, and when you use PP it ties it to your credit card/bank account that you acknowledged that there isn't. The only time you can't just leave/drop a package is if you use stamps on the package, then you need to bring it in to the PO. She also said be careful on the weight--always round up. they are getting really strict in some places and they will send the package back to you!

I pretty much love you. :goodvibes: Thanks for the info! I've always carried them in if over 13oz, which is a major pita with a 2yo, especially since there is a drop off box with a hinged door right outside.

keelykellen&kiera
01-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I worked as Asistant Post Master last year and ones with PP labels can go in drop boxes or your home mailbox. (As previous poster said, be careful on weights.) The 13 oz rule is something that resulted indirectly from 9/11. It is mostly a safety thing with a PP label they can trace it to a person if necessary, with stamps it is anonymous, therefore they will not handle it. HTH.

cotopaxi
01-14-2011, 11:42 PM
If it was just a little too big for my mailbox, I've also put it kind of on the door of the mailbox with a rubber band to hold the door up and a little closed to keep it from falling (did that make sense?).

And for really big ones I've left them on my doorstep where they won't get rained on, with a note in the mailbox for my mail guy to pick it up -- but only since I've had a great mailman; wouldn't have done this with my previous ones b/c they didn't seem motivated enough to make the effort.

caedmyn
01-15-2011, 03:54 PM
:goodvibes: Thanks ladies! And good idea Rachel...I'll see if I can tack it on the mailbox somehow LOL! our mail person doesn't come the same time everday. Sometimes it's 3pm, sometimes it's 6pm....sigh.

If you have a regular mailbox with the little metal handle that you pull to open, stick your package in a grocery bag and stick one/both handle(s) of the bag over the little handle on the mailbox. Does that make sense? That's what I do for bigger packages.

MamaJules
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Wow -- I wish I had known this back in the fall when I was selling off all my newborn dipes. I could have saved myself a few trips to the post office! When it said that anything over 13 oz. had to be brought inside, I just took them at their word. Now I will know for the future!

momof3boys1girl
01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
ohh good info. Ive handed over to our mailman but have wondered about the over 13oz rule in the blue boxes. Good to know if its over (and can fit :giggle:) it can go in the box!

KumfyKozies
01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Yes you can. PP labels are paid shipping labels, not stamps. :thumbsup:

kat1205
01-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I mailed out about 8 packages one day, and thought I was saving my mail lady trouble by putting them in a grocery bag. They are not allowed to look in a grocery bag and she informed us not to do that.