PDA

View Full Version : Dental Work?

cowangel
01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
So, I've never needed dental work while I was pregnant but I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 teeth that need fillings. I had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but I am now thinking I need to cancel it until I can talk to my OB about it and that he will suggest at least waiting until after the 1st trimester? The problem teeth are not horrible, just a little uncomfortable at this point. What do you ladies think or know? Oh, and I usually get the gas too b/c I am such a chicken when it comes to getting dental work done...:blush:

Lovinmama3
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Talk to your OB or even the dentist before having any work done. I had 1 filling done in my 1st trimester when I was pregant with my son because I was in pain, but I only needed a little needle prick for the pain.

Silver)O(Moon
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM
I remember some PSA around here a few years back encouraging pregnant women to see their dentists during pregnancy since tooth-decay and gingivitis was connected to pre-term labor. You don't want your small cavities to become big problems or infected. BUT I would decline x-rays, stick with just local anesthetic and make sure your fillings are mercury-free.

elizabethearth
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
i had dental work done when i was pregnant with my daughter. i had a crown fall out. i remember the dentist needing permission from my midwife to do work and he said they only did dental work during certain weeks of the pregnancy, i think the second trimester only. it was ok though and it wasn't too scary. i know it is worse to not treat a dental problem when pregnant, it is much more dangerous to have potential bacteria or infection while pregnant.

jasminegrl
01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
my OB said no dental work and no dental xrays unless there was a huge issue, like I needed a root canal, crown, or tooth pulled

Ready2Bmommy
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
My dentist waits to do any dental work until the 2nd trimester.

kej
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I think I'd wait until the 2nd trimester.

And also, some insurance co's will pay for an additional cleaning for pregnant women b/c dental health can affect the fetus. Check with your insurance co.

cowangel
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks ladies for the input...very helpful, I went ahead and canceled my apt. I'm going to wait until my apt. with my OB to talk things over to see if and when I could have my teeth checked. They are not horrible, just a little sensitive and i'm not 100% sure I will need fillings I'd just like to get them checked...