PDA

View Full Version : Baby K'tan cradle position and weight limit?

thetuckercrew
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I havent used my Baby ktan in almost two years. My middle child is almost 3. I just pulled it out for my newborn and went on the website to see the tutorials for all the positions since I couldnt remember some of them.

The cradle Position is no longer on their website and it says that the K'tan is for 8 pounds and up. Have they changed things lately? I remember using the cradle position and using it with a 7 pound baby. Just wondering what I missed :)

clover
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Many carrier manufacturers are not recommending or including instructions for the cradle hold because of the risk of positional asphyxia in newborns. It's too much of a liability, especially given the highly publicized sling recalls of last year due to infant deaths. For what it's worth, in addition to being safer many newborns prefer the upright positioning better anyway.

I don't know about the weight range. That could have changed recently, again, because it's been found that premature and low birth rate babies are at the most risk. Not to say a healthy full term 7lb baby is at more risk then a healthy full term 8lb baby, but they have to draw a line somewhere. I guess 8lbs is the magic number.

thetuckercrew
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
oh ok that makes since! Thanks!

cheechako
01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
This link talks about good positioning for a newborn. http://www.drmomma.org/2010/07/babywearing-proper-positioning.html?spref=fb

katiegud
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
I used the k'tan when dd was around 8 lbs. We just used the kangaroo hold, so she was more upright, and it worked well. :)