PDA

View Full Version : spotting in early pregnancy

mandymatus
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
i just found out i'm pregnant again, about 5 weeks and some change.... i never had any spotting with my first, and so when i woke to some today i got nervous! it was really light and has pretty much gone away, but now i'm overthinking everything! i've had very mild cramps on and off, but that was pretty much a mainstay with my first. no pain or serious cramps. anyone else experience this? i know that in some women it's normal and that each pregnancy is different.

hippieintraining
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
I've had spotting with both pregnancies. With DS, I was almost 6 weeks prego (two weeks after finding out) and it was brown and thick. This time, I would have been about 8dpo and it was thinner and bright red. Both times it lasted amost two weeks, but fluctuated in how 'heavy' it was. It can be scary, but it can be totally normal. I remember reading that about 20% of women spot (but also 20% miscarry, so...).

If it was light and only mild cramping, you're probably ok. If your concerned at all, go in to your MW or Dr.

GL!!!

Kyusswaggernut
01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I had cramps and spotting about 6 months ago after finding out I was pg and ended up losing it less than a week later. My spotting was bright red. If you're concerned, go to the doctor and get your levels checked. Mine were very low and my doctor was concerned and was right in my case.

willownz
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I have had early spotting/ full on bleeding with 6 out of 7 pregnancies. 4 I have lost and my first I bled at 16 weeks (he is now 5). It is pretty normal for me but a very very anxious time. If it is red or you cramp so much you need pain relief get checked out. Subchorionic haematomas are very very common in early pregnancy and can cause full on bleeding (like you wet yourself).

megs715
01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I bled all the way through 16 weeks on and off with my pregnancy. We ended up doing many ultrasounds, and each was ok (my 6 month old babe is sleeping in the next room!). Sometimes it was heavier like a pregnancy, sometimes very light, but it never really stopped until just about 16 weeks, then it stopped completely. Not sure if this is related or not, but post partum, I bled and bled for.ever. I bled up to 5 mos pp, nearly constantly, and then started my periods again. Maybe I'm just a bleeder??

Best of luck!

Mommy2JJ
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I had spotting very early too and my doc said it's not normal, but it happens. He gave me a porgesterone shot and then checked my progesterone which was low, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it or not??

wendow
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
I had spotting at 8 and 9 weeks with this current pregnancy. I also cramped a lot with the spotting which according to everything you read online means impending m/c. I also have m/c'ed at 9.5weeks so I got very nervous. I was told to just put my feet up and try to rest. The nurse I spoke to said that for those first several weeks the egg can burrow in deeper and that can trigger some bleeding. Also, sex can cause the cervix to bleed a bit. I am now 31 weeks and never had anymore spotting.

HeatherlovesCDs
01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I had heavy bleeding at 6wks with my first set of twins and was told I was losing one of them. Nope. They are 3 now. It's concerning, but often nothing to worry about. :hugs:

mandymatus
01-25-2011, 09:20 AM
thanks for the posts! the spotting was very light pink and only lasted several hours...it stopped yesterday early afternoon and haven't seen anymore. i think it might be ok. the cramps were always mild (felt same as my first baby) never requiring pain relief. praying for healthy baby :)

CASMama711
01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I've had two pregnancies- First one I spotted for several weeks during the first trimester and in the end it resulted in my DD who was born at 38 weeks. :) Second one, I had no spotting at all and lost the pregnancy at 7 weeks. :(