PDA

View Full Version : zip lock omlettes

earthflower
06-04-2006, 10:46 AM
A friend this forwarded this to me. Not sure if it really works but what a great idea for cooking for a crowd! The forward had pictures with it and they looked really good!

ZIPLOC OMELETS
This works great !!! Good when you're alone or when all your family is together. Best feature is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!! Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

- Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the quart size Ziploc bag (not more than 2) shake
to combine them.

- Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green
pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

- Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.

- Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

- Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You
can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot
of boiling water.

- Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for
everyone to be amazed.

- Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake.gif; everyone gets involved
in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in
boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you have a nice
omlette for a quick breakfast!!!

bamamom
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
i'd be pretty cautious about using the plastic bags....my dh is a Federal Food Safety Officer, and we have studied all about plasticizers. The chemicals they put in plastic bags, saran wrap, etc to make if flexible.

Those chemicals literally leach into your food when you heat food in them!

Those plasticizers are nasty chemicals that are not good for your health!

the recipe sounds good tho!

bamamom
06-04-2006, 11:44 AM
double post

cblurose
06-05-2006, 05:44 AM
It's still a great idea...just skip the boiling part and make in a pan.

deeannielannie
06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I second the not boiling the bag itself.....those chemicals that leach into your food do awful things to us....especially women....to our hormones, since a lot of those chemicals actually mimic our own hormones.

I saw this the other day....it's being forwarded around to people at dh's work...he's in the AirForce, so that's a lot of people eating plastic! :yuck:

Fuzzi Fannies Creations
06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I second the not boiling the bag itself.....those chemicals that leach into your food do awful things to us....especially women....to our hormones, since a lot of those chemicals actually mimic our own hormones.

I saw this the other day....it's being forwarded around to people at dh's work...he's in the AirForce, so that's a lot of people eating plastic! :yuck:

Awww man!!! And I was gonna go make me one!! Shucks.. dumb plastic stuff.. arg!:cry:

Shaysbabygirls
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
We've done this plenty of times, and we're all still alive! :)

It's good to do when you have like 6+ people who all want something different. It doesn't take very long at all, and they come out light and fluffy...

Fuzzi Fannies Creations
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
We've done this plenty of times, and we're all still alive! :)

It's good to do when you have like 6+ people who all want something different. It doesn't take very long at all, and they come out light and fluffy...

Does the same apply to plastic bowls??? We use plastic alot!! What exactl happens if you use it??

deeannielannie
06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Does the same apply to plastic bowls??? We use plastic alot!! What exactl happens if you use it??
It does, but the plastic leaches much more when it's heated. Also, the softer a plastic is (like ziplock bags or shower curtains), the more "unstable" it is, and the more it will leach into your food or skin. That's why plastic with a higher # on it (like 5 6 or 7) is used more for food that will be heated in the container or for storing for a long time, and those with a lower # (like 1 or 2) are used for things like water bottles that will be emptied soon, not heated, and are not meant to be reused. The "plastic people" even warn not to reuse those plastic water bottles too many times because they break down and let the chemicals into your water. Scientists are just learning all the effects of these hormone-mimicking chemicals.

dirtdartwife
06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Darn.. and here I was going to try it. My SIL does bacon like what some of you mentioned with heating it... she tosses the entire package into the microwave and nukes it for about 10 mintues... a whole pound of it. I always thought it was gross with the way you had to peel the plastic- that LOOKED nuked :headscratch: - off the bacon! Talk about not wanting any food after seeing that.

Now have ya'll heard of dishwasher chicken? :laugh:

It's amazing what you'll try once to amuse the kids while DH is deployed! :laugh: :lostit:

Shannon
06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I just got the same email TODAY from my grandma. Is there something safe and similar you could use to cook them quickly? The idea is MAGNIFICENT! I'd love to show Dh that trick...but I don't wanna die from plastic poisoning.

fullernj
06-21-2006, 06:57 AM
couldn't you cook it in a glass canning jar. Use a big pot and set the jars in around the bottom, fill up the pot so the eggs are submersed but the jars are not floating. I don't know if this would work, but it seems to in my head :giggle: