PDA

View Full Version : If you use Purex detergent...

MarchMama2x
01-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Please help me! :giggle:

So, I was using Country Save. Things got stinky. I switched to Tide in Dec and things *seemed* to be going great but then my Softbums started leaking.

I did a strip with RLR last week and they aren't leaking any more! Hooray! :thumbsup:

So I wanted to try Purex Free and Clear since that is the detergent recommended by Softbums (my stash is 95% Softbums). I looked in THREE stores today and could not find Purex F&C for HE machines. I looked on the Purex website and the labels on the bottles pictures have the little "OK for HE and regular washers" logo on them. The bottles in the store did NOT have that logo. I read every inch of the labels and they said NOTHING about HE machines.

I live in the middle of NO WHERE, so is it possible they just don't sell Purex F&C for HE machines here??

So I picked up a bottle of Purex Natural Elements to try because it was free of dyes and the scent's are natural. Can anyone who has used the Natural Elements detergent tell me how it worked for them on their diapers?

Thanks!
:lostit::goodvibes:

m&m&m
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I couldn't find purex F&C at all in my area which is why I used Country Save. Recently I switched to Rng to see if I could avoid doing the monthly (or so) stripping (I have a hodge podge of diapers in my stash but I do have SoftBums too), started out great, but I don't think I can avoid doing a stripping every so often. Maybe it is like my hair. I find when I switch shampoos every so often, my hair stays really nice and shiny...If I have one shampoo though for a really long time, my hair starts to get dull (that is, until I switch again).

Yogabirds
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
I am using RnG now, but I cloth diapered my neice for 18months a few years ago using Purex Naturals on the dipes and never had to strip because of stink issues. I used the full recommended amount of detergent. I wash once on cold with det. and vinegar in a downey ball. Then I wash on hot with nothing added. I dry it all in the dryer. I LOVE the scents RnG comes in. Otherwise, I would still be using Purex...

carolineb
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
I asked the same question b/c my stash is ALL softbums, although I haven't started using them yet...still waiting on baby to get here! Another momma told me that if you use a 1/4 amt recommended, it should be okay in a HE machine. I did one wash to prep my dipes, now just can't wait to use them! I washed per the instructions that softbums sent. We'll see what happens when they start getting used!

MarchMama2x
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Thank you!
I'm afraid to use non-HE detergents in my machine and break it. It was EXPENSIVE and my hubby would NOT be pleased if something happened to it.

I'll try this Purex Naturals for a few weeks and see how we do! :)

grizzardmommy
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
I use purex powder for he in my dipes. Have been for about 8 weeks not a problem here. I use a cup an a fourth of detergent.

Almacham
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I used Purex Naturals for a little while. My diapers were fine. :)

I just didn't use the full amount recommended on the bottle... like if it said put it to line 2 for a full load, even if I had a full load of diapers I just put in a bit less.

I now use Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin just because I can get the really huge jugs that last through 96 loads, and it gets the job done as well. I do laundry a lot so I figured I'd save some money and just buy that instead, but Purex worked just great for me.

bluemoonbutterfly
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I was using Purex Naturals and decided to try the powder. I like the powder better. I use a cup and do a extra rinse. Working great so far.

qtytot
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I've used Purex Baby without any problem.

Len27
01-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Purex naturals is my go-to detergent and it works great on diapers. i have a FL as well. Honestly, i've used the purex free (stuff in the white bottle?) and i didn't like it nearly as much.

nursenmom
01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
I was planning on using purex or arm and hammer essentials. I've only been using our diapers occasionally at night for my toddler until the little one arrives (hopefully any day now) How much detergent do you use. I used 1-2 tbl because that was 1/4 of the recommended amount but they don't seem to smell too fresh. Should I be using more detergent if I don't have an HE?

MarchMama2x
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone!!

nursenmom - I would bump it up to half the recommended amount and see if they smell better! I plan on starting at 3/4 the amount and bumping down if needed... the thought of unclean diapers makes me shudder. :)

corinne76
02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Reviving this Purex thread. I normally use Purex F&C. I was doing fine using less than the recommended amount. Then I started to get gutsy and used the full amount. My diapers started to smell of pee. FTR, we were only using cloth at night, and I either hand wash in the tub or use the coin-op machines that just don't get too hot.
So I did a hot soak with baking powder and rinse with more hot water. My diapers smell MUCH better, which leads me to believe it was partially detergent buildup.

I have read for Purex to use less than the recommended amount, some use just one tbs. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want to use too much and have to continually rinse, but I also don't want to use too little.

MamaRachel
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Subbing, I use Purex F&C too and I am battling massive stink. My dipes are stripping right now- I tossed in a bunch of clean and dry dipes (I got tired of fighting the stink and we took a cloth hiatus) in the wash with some HOT water and I am a bit unsettled by the amount of soap suds. I only ever use about 1/3 the recommended amt, and that seems to have been too much.
I'm thinking of switching detergents, but I'm not sure what I want to switch to :headscratch:

corinne76
02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Subbing, I use Purex F&C too and I am battling massive stink. My dipes are stripping right now- I tossed in a bunch of clean and dry dipes (I got tired of fighting the stink and we took a cloth hiatus) in the wash with some HOT water and I am a bit unsettled by the amount of soap suds. I only ever use about 1/3 the recommended amt, and that seems to have been too much.
I'm thinking of switching detergents, but I'm not sure what I want to switch to :headscratch:

woah. so maybe the one tbs is correct then?
Since we were only using cloth at night, we just stopped for now and are using sposies. We're going back to it when DS is born and I was thinking of doing a hot or warm rinse first, then hot wash, and then a hot rinse to get all the detergent out. I was hoping that would fix the problem. I was rinsing with just cold and was thinking maybe it wasn't getting all the detergent out. But then again my diapers smelt like pee so does that mean they weren't clean enough?
Why does laundry have to be so complicated?

MamaRachel
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
woah. so maybe the one tbs is correct then?
Since we were only using cloth at night, we just stopped for now and are using sposies. We're going back to it when DS is born and I was thinking of doing a hot or warm rinse first, then hot wash, and then a hot rinse to get all the detergent out. I was hoping that would fix the problem. I was rinsing with just cold and was thinking maybe it wasn't getting all the detergent out. But then again my diapers smelt like pee so does that mean they weren't clean enough?
Why does laundry have to be so complicated?
I have no idea, I've been trying to find the sweet spot and I keep winding up with either dipes that aren't clean or detergent buildup.
I'd always thought the first rinse should be cold because hot would set any stains, for extra rinsing after the wash the hotter the better though.

corinne76
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
I thought that too. But I also read on the extremely long but informative detergent thread about doing a hot rinse so IDK ??
I do plan on hand washing my dipes more often than not. Our apt washes only get luke warm and it irritates me. Theyre convenient but do not get my diapers clean.

mamasab
02-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I just don't see how using a tablespoon or two of any detergent makes sense. There is poop on these diapers, they need to get clean!

I use Purex Naturals, up to the 1st line, every time. used it for months and months and I have no problems. No stink, no stains, just clean diapers. I put it in, fill the washer up with cold water, stick in the diapers and run a cold cycle, then do two hot washes (I use apartment washers that only have 26 minute cycles...so it's really not a lot). That's it!

sunshine_03
02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Just an FYI of my experience. I had all Softbums and used the Purex Free & Clear since they recommended it and after a while I ended up with major stink issues. I switched to Jenny's Simply Clean which now I believe is OldFashionedClean.com and her detergent has worked great.

saxychic247
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
For what it's worth, Purex free and clear for HE washers *does* exist. I checked my bottle just to make sure. I live near a major metropolitan area, though, so it may not be all that popular elsewhere, but there are bottles out there of the regular Purex Free and Clear with the High Efficiency seal on the front of the bottle. I use it with good results on my diapers. :)

Leanbh
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Weirdly enough I just used it this week kinda by mistake(filled the washer with water and purex and forgot it was a CD wash) so I just rolled with it.

Then I've had ammonia issues twice this week with mf. Honestly it could be unrelated and I'm not sure if it would cause a problem that quickly.

For now I'm going to soak them in some bac out(when my bottle arrives, just finished one on carpets) as I've read that works good.

The only bleach I use in the houes is seventh gen. Has anyone tried this on MF.

He ONLY gets ammonia at night and only once in a while, but I'm starting to think I should look for a natural nighttime dipe.

MamaRachel
02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Weirdly enough I just used it this week kinda by mistake(filled the washer with water and purex and forgot it was a CD wash) so I just rolled with it.

Then I've had ammonia issues twice this week with mf. Honestly it could be unrelated and I'm not sure if it would cause a problem that quickly.

For now I'm going to soak them in some bac out(when my bottle arrives, just finished one on carpets) as I've read that works good.

The only bleach I use in the houes is seventh gen. Has anyone tried this on MF.

He ONLY gets ammonia at night and only once in a while, but I'm starting to think I should look for a natural nighttime dipe.
I finally gave up on cloth @ night. Between him being a super heavy wetter, and having a crazy sensitive tushie I just couldn't find something that worked for him. He'd either leak, or have ammonia burn or both. We're having a lot of luck with G-diapers at bed time for him though. :goodvibes:

Leanbh
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I finally gave up on cloth @ night. Between him being a super heavy wetter, and having a crazy sensitive tushie I just couldn't find something that worked for him. He'd either leak, or have ammonia burn or both. We're having a lot of luck with G-diapers at bed time for him though. :goodvibes:

I'm almost at that point:banghead:

I do have gdiapers(well sold my M and got 2 L) just for nighttime, but last few nights I put him in an earths best. Because when he gets an ammonia rash it so hard to get rid of, usually 3-4 days with triple paste.

I'm wondering are natural fabrics better though. Maybe I'll try a PF in a gdiaper with a stay dry liner so he won't feel the wet. I know that's fleece but otherwise I think the PF would feel too wet on him.

I also have an obv fitted put they get pretty wet even during the day.

MarchMama2x
02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I use a bum genius pocket stuffed with a flip organic insert at night and have no issues with leaking or ammonia.

I used the Purex natural for a small load of diapers (less than 1 days worth) and had to rinse 2 extra times to get all the suds out so I think I used too much for such a small load. I used to the very bottom line and it was maybe 5 diapers. I'm going to try the same amount on a full load and see if it rinses out better.

Fwiw, my current wash routine is
Warm/warm rinse with no detergent
Hot/cold wash/rinse with detergent
Hot/cold cycle with no detergent

mythreesonz+!
02-07-2011, 07:39 AM
We also use Purex naturals and have yet to have a stink or leak problem. And I do use the recommended amount. But do an extra rinse.
My stash is Bg 3.0 with Hemp inserts and flats. Same diapers for 20 months now and have used Purex for about the same time. Never have had a problem.
ETA my wash routine.
1 cold short cycle to rinse the pee and poop out.
1 regular cycle on cold. With at least to the 1 line mostly to the 2 line
1 extra short cold cycle to rinse.
When you say you see suds is it during the wash cycle? Could it be your machine that has a buildup? Or could it be um not sure what it is called but lke air bubbles from the agitation?