PDA

View Full Version : Dr Bronner's drying out my skin

mariannec32
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
The last few months I have been using Dr Bronner's as hand soap in foaming dispensers using the normal 1:3 ratio. My hands are SO dry and irritated! Has anybody else found this soap to be a little harsh?

*Amy*
02-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Not at all! I love it. =/

MegCat
02-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Castile soap can often be drying. I find Dr. Bronner's to be particularly so. The other possibility is you could be having a reaction to the Essential oil. But, for me it doesn't matter what type of Dr. Bronners, I still am so itchy. My husband can use it with no problem though

Boheme
02-08-2011, 09:39 AM
That's a very strong ratio/solution, IMO. Maybe using less soap in the mix would help?

I've used it for years in a foaming handsoap dispenser (in two bathrooms and the kitchen) and while I'm not sure of my actual ratio (I eyeball it), I use an 8.75 oz container that I fill with water almost all the way, and then add about 1-2 tsp of Dr. B's. I guess that's something like a 1:8 or 1:9 ratio? Basically, I use just enough soap to make it foam, and it works just fine with no dryness or irritation.

Liadan23
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
my husband has a lot of problems with the dr. bronner's drying out his skin. ds and i seem to have no trouble, but for some reason it really bothers him. but he has a lot of issues with eczema so that might contribute to it. i still haven't had any luck finding a soap that doesn't dry it out. but i do think dr. bronner's can be irritating and drying for some people.

magic5qcrew
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I find Dr. Bronner's to be very drying. I really had high hopes for it too. My new favorite is Dr. Woods Shea Vision. Even in the harsh winter, my whole family benefits from using it.

momomom
02-09-2011, 06:00 PM
That's a very strong ratio/solution, IMO. Maybe using less soap in the mix would help?

I've used it for years in a foaming handsoap dispenser (in two bathrooms and the kitchen) and while I'm not sure of my actual ratio (I eyeball it), I use an 8.75 oz container that I fill with water almost all the way, and then add about 1-2 tsp of Dr. B's. I guess that's something like a 1:8 or 1:9 ratio? Basically, I use just enough soap to make it foam, and it works just fine with no dryness or irritation.

Ya, that.

Earthy Momma
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
for me, the regualer castile dr bronners soap, no matter how diluted it is, dries my skin out.
dr bronners has a few of their soaps in a pump dispencer, and it is a different blend, it still says all one on the bottle but im pretty sure on their sight it is under "hands and body" i use the baby unscented one on me n my daughter for showering, and it actually leaves our skin soft and moisturized. one of my local natural foods stores doesnt carry it so u might wana call around first before u drive around different places. it has the usda organic seal on it. its great...i like using the reglar dr bronners for cleaning n wut not...but when it comes to my body the pump stuff is best!.....

petuniajo
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Ooooh, I agree that 1:3 sounds pretty strong. Like a pp, I use a foaming dispenser and fill it up seriously like only 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch TOPS with Bronners, then the rest water.

My hands do get a little dry, but less so than when I used dish soap in the handsoap dispensers. I'd try a more diluted solution, and maybe keep a little jar of coconut oil by the sink for quick moisturizing after you wash.

saralovesdiapers
02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I read you can dilute with glycerine and water to make it less drying.

mtnmama
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I love the smell of the peppermint but found that too drying - don't have a problem with the almond tho - so it may just the type of Dr Bronners. Also, we use maybe a 1/4 to 1/8 soap to water in the foaming dispensers.

Winkydinks
02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
I read you can dilute with glycerine and water to make it less drying.
That's a good idea!
It does dry my skin if I'm washing my hands a lot during the winter - which I am since everyone is always sick!

luvmybabydoll
02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I have the same problem. I eyeball my mixture but I will also try making it a little less "potent"

iluvmyortiz1122
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't use pure Dr Bronner's but one of the pump soaps they manufacture and they both (2 different scents) dry my hands out. I made my own bath soap with DB and it kinda dried my skin out too. It made it feel super rubbery.

Fairycat
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
peppermint is an essential oil that strips oils. It can be to harsh for many skin types.

mariannec32
02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for info. I will try adding more water before I completely give up on it. :goodvibes: