PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish allergy?

edens_mom
02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Has anyone had any experience with their little ones having an allergic reaction to goldfish? (Specifically the whole wheat cheddar ones). DS (11 months) seems to be reacting to them. He doesn't react when he has wheat or dairy. The ingredient list seems mostly harmless but I wondered if anyone could at least give me a headstart. Thanks!

:goodvibes:

If it helps, he is already allergic to winter squash, bananas, apples, pears, latex, and eggwhites.

smashncakes
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I know they use a couple kinds of fruit juice for the coloring in the colored goldfish crackers, could there maybe be apple or pear juice in the ones your little one is having issues with? Not sure how serious the latex allergy is, maybe they use latex in the packaging process somehow?

cacasey1981
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Totally not helpful but when I saw the topic I was like "Why is their kid touching a goldfish? Tell him to stay out of the tank!" :roflmbo:

BottomOfMyHearts
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe try the organic variety? I forget the brand that makes them, but they make a gram cracker that is the shape of bunnies. (I threw the box away as I store the crackers in a ziploc for freshness else I'd go look it up for you!)

NewbieSAHM
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't have the packaging available, but at one point DS was in daycare and a substitute fed him some of these. I remember looking at the ingredients and thinking, "Of all this for them to feed him, it has to be something that contains just about everything he's allergic to!" He's allergic to the top 8 most common food allergens plus legumes. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else in there that your DS is reacting to :-(.

Dory
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I seem to remember onion powder in the seasoning. That could be an issue, if I'm remembering right.

Dory
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe try the organic variety? I forget the brand that makes them, but they make a gram cracker that is the shape of bunnies. (I threw the box away as I store the crackers in a ziploc for freshness else I'd go look it up for you!)

Annie's :)

BottomOfMyHearts
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Annie's :)

Yep! That's it! Thank you!:goodvibes:

FindingMercy
02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
My DD is a Celiac, so obviously she had a horrible reaction when she ate a goldfish one time. But, she's also very sensitive to sunflower oil and goldfish are cooked in that as well. It could also be the artificial colors and/or flavors that are the problem. Also, some kids can do dairy, but not powdered diary which is what the cheese coating would have in it.

Agla
02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, we had to avoid them for a few years. Actually it was any cheddar flavor cracker.

edens_mom
02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh interesting, thank you everyone! I am suspicious of the "spices" listed on the ingredients list, but the powdered cheese thing is interesting. I might try another cheese-flavored cracker just for comparison purposes.

escapethevillage
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
No clue. But, I thought you were trying to tell us your child was allergic to a fish... in a bowl. I was going to send you a link to a Münchhausen's syndrome.. since you clearly were inventing fictitious illnesses for your kids.

Fleece Be With You
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm allergic to goldfish crackers, their list of "spices" most definitely includes paprika, which is in the bell pepper family. Not sure if that helps at all.

edens_mom
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm allergic to goldfish crackers, their list of "spices" most definitely includes paprika, which is in the bell pepper family. Not sure if that helps at all.

It does, thank you!

edens_mom
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM

After he cleared up, I spot checked paprika on a place on his cheek and he broke out. Are you allergic to paprika? Are you also allergic to bell peppers?

Thanks for the tip :)

lemurmommies
02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I just wanted to pop on and say, too, that I am allergic to Goldfish crackers. In my case, I'm allergic to autolyzed yeast, which is basically another way of listing MSG.