PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk inductions! Any foley bulb experiences?

PinkInk
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
In case you don't know about my first birth: I was gestational diabetic, I went over my due date but eventually chose an induction, my son was 10lbs 3oz, born via vac extraction.

I have GD again...

Saw my midwife again today and things are not going great for baby and I. My amniotic fluids are very high, baby is measuring quite big (over 7 pounds at 35w5d) and my blood sugar is not being controlled easily despite the diet and plenty of exercise (tubo kickboxing at 9 months anyone?). I've also been gaining about a pound a day the last 9 days or so and I can't seem to slow it. We are both concerned about what my uterus may be stretched to at full term, especially because I had bleeding issues with DS1. I'm feeling good about attempting an induction around 38 weeks, I don't feel good about the use of pitocin.

Fortuntely my midwife agrees and says that my cervix is a perfect candidate for a foley bulb. I'm at least 1cm and very soft, I actually could barely feel her checking. Baby is very low, she was touching his head, and honestly I'm surprised he hasn't just fallen out.

My last induction was lots of pitocin, very medicated, very dramatic. I feel better about the idea of a non-chemical induction, no IV, no pressure... but upon googling foley bulb experiences, they don't sound great. Many of them, however, were not soft and dilated. Share stories! Good and bad! We still are planning to go without pain medications and hope to work through labor naturally.

Kiliki
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Hm. So, I've never used a foley bulb, but I've also heard the same horrific stories about them.

Could you try some natural induction methods for a week first? Then move on to more invasive procedures after that? I mean, castor oil IMO is better than a foley bulb or pitocin. Not sure how you feel about that, but it's my personal opinion. There's also nipple stimulation, sex, walking, EPO, chiropractic, acupuncture, and a whole gamot of other things you could maybe try. If you try them all within a few days or a week and nothing works, then maybe you'd feel more comfortable moving to another procedure?

Just some thoughts.

:hugs:

PinkInk
03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Hm. So, I've never used a foley bulb, but I've also heard the same horrific stories about them.

Could you try some natural induction methods for a week first? Then move on to more invasive procedures after that? I mean, castor oil IMO is better than a foley bulb or pitocin. Not sure how you feel about that, but it's my personal opinion. There's also nipple stimulation, sex, walking, EPO, chiropractic, acupuncture, and a whole gamot of other things you could maybe try. If you try them all within a few days or a week and nothing works, then maybe you'd feel more comfortable moving to another procedure?

Just some thoughts.

:hugs:

We did most of those plus more with DS1, except chiropractic and acupuncture care because I don't believe in either. Right now I am on a black cohosh blend that I'm taking 4 times a day and I'm taking EPO just like with DS1. And I think my husband and I DTD more than most newlyweds ;) so that's a check. Since I have gestational diabetes I have to walk several times a day (after each meal) but I also jog and go to turbo kickboxing several times a week... hopefully all that bouncing will help dilate me further!!

I don't consider either castor oil or nipple stimulation to be any more natural than a foley bulb as both are as painful or more painful as that cause you have have un-naturally strong contractions. I did castor oil multiple times with DS1 after 40 weeks, at 3cm dilated, and all I had to show for it was a lot of time on the toilet. We did not do nipple stimulation because I heard the contrations are as bad as pitocin.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm excited about the Mother's Blend (the cohosh blend) I'm taking, which I didn't do before!

doubleddog
03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
My oldest sister was induced beginning with a foley bulb. It was quite uncomfortable and then didn't really do it's job and she ended up being induced with pitocin. I had never heard of that method of induction before her experience and I've never heard of anyone since that has had it.

I was induced with pitocin at 37 weeks 4 days with DD because I had been laboring for 4 days at home with a midwife by that point and then my labor just suddenly stopped and there was reason to believe that my water had already broken (although I sort of wonder if that was false now... since I never had a significant gush or anything and the OB later broke my water). We tried black and blue cohash and raspberry leaf tea at home with the midwife while I was laboring as well as various positions and my contractions went from right on top of each other to completely gone quite soon after taking the black cohash.

Pitocin did not seem to affect me. They started with the lowest possible dose and kept bumping the dose up and when it got to the max dose they told me they couldn't bump it up anymore and my contractions were not very strong or close together. At that point DH and I were beginning to get nervous, so on a whim we started nipple stimulation with each contraction (stopping it right away when contractions started). It significantly improved my labor, strengthening my contractions and I was in transition soon after. They gradually turned the pit down and then off. Each time a nurse came in to check on me she was impressed with how great my contractions looked. I don't think it made my contractions unbearable. But at the same time...by that time I'd been laboring for 5 days and was just ready to do whatever it took to birth my baby... preferably naturally. For having an early baby I had to wait a heck of a long time to have her.

I would say... if you do end up with pitocin, don't lose hope. Ask them to start with the lowest possible dose and bump it up very gradually. I labored totally pain-med free with pit and nipple stimulation and I think it made a big difference that they didn't just slam me with a huge dose of pit from square one (that's what happened to my sister after the foley bulb).

Have you tried or do you plan on trying evening primrose oil? I've heard great things about that. If you're already starting to dilate you should be a great candidate. It would be a lot less invasive than the foley bulb, so I'd go for it before doing foley bulb for sure.

STK2
03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah I had 2 good experience with pit. They also started me on low doses and raised it about every 2 hrs or something. And I did DS pain-med free. Wish I had done DD that way too but oh well. I was at 38wks and atleast a 3 1/2 with each of them before they started the pit.

StaceyS
03-02-2011, 06:10 AM
My MW tried a foley induction with me with Matthew, but my circumstances were quite different and therefore greatly changed the outcome for me.
You see, I was dilated to a stretchy 7 without a contraction in sight, but Matty was really high at a -3 station. She was worried I would rupture and have cord prolapse that way, so we tried the foley. Her thinking was if it stayed in place (which amazingly it did for about 12 hours), it may spark contractions to start rolling (it didn't). It wasn't uncomfortable for me whatsoever, but that could be because I was already so dilated. I have heard it is very uncomfortable in other cases, but then again, when is labor comfortable without medications?? LOL

We also tried castor oil, twice, before doing the foley and it didn't do squat for me....not even a bathroom trip.

I can't believe your guy is so big already...wowza!!!

Kiliki
03-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I've done the nipple stim and I've also had pitocin. IMO, the contractions were not even comparable. The nip stim contractions were not anywhere near as painful. But I guess every woman is different.

kissum
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Stacey, I can't believe that castor oil didn't even make you need to use the bathroom. That's crazy!

They inserted a foley bulb overnight when I was being induced with my dd. It did nothing, but they gave me an ambien so I don't remember it hurting, either.

PinkInk
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Rosalie - I was on pit for two days with DS1, but I waited until I was past 40 weeks. I won't let them induce with pit, I don't want to be given IV fluids and a big part of why I am ok with an induction is because the extra stress on my utuerus by going full term... and inducing with pit seems counter productive as it puts me at a great risk of having bleeding problems. If we can't induce with a non-chemical method then we will wait it out until closer to 40 weeks... as long as the baby is doing ok. Yeah we are totally doing the EPO! Didn't help last time but since this is number two, hopefully I'm more receptive.

Tiara - I've never heard someone put "good experience" and "pit" in the same sentance! Haha... as far as I'm concerned... it's straight from the devil. I went in for a "light" induction and the on call OB was a crazy man and maxed me out on pit several times, doubling the dose every 20 minutes. Agony.

Stacey - So how did you finally get him out???!!!

Kiliki - Well thats good to know!

Kiliki
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Just a thought, you could always try some nip stim and if you hate it, just stop.

It's not like pit in that it won't take some time to get our of your system.

IME, as soon as you stop the stimulation, the contractions stop pretty quickly.

so, no harm, no foul, right?

:hugs: just brainstorming for you!

court3189
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Lurking from March 2011 :)-I had great experiences with foley bulb inductions. My first after two attempts and a combined total of 4 days on pit and cervidil having made no progress and being threatened with a c-section-my L & D nurse suggested the foley. They put it in and I progressed quickly from there-I think it was put in around 10ish and I delivered 5ish? With my second I requested it-put foley in at 8ish in the morning-got to 5cm by late morning-stalled in afternoon for awhile, at around 5 was told I was 6-I was delivered by 6pm :) I didn't find the insertation all that painful as some folks do.

HTHs!
Court

PinkInk
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Just a thought, you could always try some nip stim and if you hate it, just stop.

It's not like pit in that it won't take some time to get our of your system.

IME, as soon as you stop the stimulation, the contractions stop pretty quickly.

so, no harm, no foul, right?

:hugs: just brainstorming for you!

Oh I didn't know that! I thought once you got it going you were stuck with 'em! Thanks for brainstorming with me! Personally I don't think you can have too much information when it comes to birth.

PinkInk
03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Lurking from March 2011 :)-I had great experiences with foley bulb inductions. My first after two attempts and a combined total of 4 days on pit and cervidil having made no progress and being threatened with a c-section-my L & D nurse suggested the foley. They put it in and I progressed quickly from there-I think it was put in around 10ish and I delivered 5ish? With my second I requested it-put foley in at 8ish in the morning-got to 5cm by late morning-stalled in afternoon for awhile, at around 5 was told I was 6-I was delivered by 6pm :) I didn't find the insertation all that painful as some folks do.

HTHs!
Court

Very inspiring!

Kiliki
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh I didn't know that! I thought once you got it going you were stuck with 'em! Thanks for brainstorming with me! Personally I don't think you can have too much information when it comes to birth.

Well, this was my experience with it...

You do the stimulation, have a few contractions. Do more stim, have more contrax. etc. Until your body gets into a good rhythm and picks it up on its own. The contrax are caused by a release of hormones - the same way you get the contrax when nursing - it's those same contrax.

I did the stim for about 3+ hrs straight. As SOON as I slowed down or stopped, the contrax would putter out. I never acheived full blown labor with that method, though I did get some dilation w/that combined with other methods - I got to a 4.

thealmightyme
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
What is a foley bulb? Is it like a Foley Cath?

PinkInk
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah it's the same thing I believe.

StaceyS
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
LOL Cori...I had to transfer care to an OB and go to the hosp for some pit.
That was my first epidural experience. It was NOT bad at all, in fact, sooooo totally planning on birthing that way again (the epi not the pit).
The nurses were fantastic and let me have the epi before they turned on the pit. I never felt a thing. :)

Nipple stim didn't work for me either. I used a hosp grade double electric pump that I own. My MW said to achieve cntx's using that method you have to pump for at least 30 min straight, take a 10 minute break and then switch sides for at least over an hour to get them going. I would get a few random cntx's that way, but nothing that lasted or worked. They weren't bad at all, though....just like regular cntx's.

divergirldee
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
No experience or advice here, but I hope you can get your natural labor going without the chemical help.

When do you plan on trying the Foley Bulb? I know you said you're going to take EPO, but are you going to try other methods first: stripping the membranes, cohosh, DTD...etc?

PinkInk
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
No experience or advice here, but I hope you can get your natural labor going without the chemical help.

When do you plan on trying the Foley Bulb? I know you said you're going to take EPO, but are you going to try other methods first: stripping the membranes, cohosh, DTD...etc?

As of now, I think my midwife wanted to do it around 38 weeks. So much has been changing at each visit, I coasted and was doing great and, just like last time, now at the end things aren't going so wonderfully. I feel great at least :)

Membrane stripping probably the week of the 14th, but we will be discussing it more on Monday. I will be 38 weeks on the 17th. Since I live so far from the hospital/midwife I would kinda like them to maybe strip early in the week, give it 48 hrs, and if that doesn't do it then go in for the bulb and try to stay there, but we will see.

I am already taking a blend of black cohosh, partridge berry, and... something else, I don't remember. And there's no need to "try sex" because DH and I get it on a bunch as it is... I can't imagine stopping on account of a pregnancy! My husband was gloating that he was to plame for my ultra soft cervix... yeah as if the awful contractions since 28 weeks have had nothing to do with it! ;) haha.

4boys1girlforme
03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm totally DDC crashing but I had a foley with DS3- my only section- although what contributed to my section was AROM before his head was engaged- he stuck his arm out- I should have refused AROM.
I have had 5 inductions and he was my only foley- my first 2 were started with cytotec- my last 2 were VBAC's so they were started with AROM (by then I had a good OB that I trusted and she would only induce a VBAC if she could insert a monitor before starting pit). The hospital I had DS3 at didn't do any sort of hormonal cervical ripening. The foley did work but was quite painful- it felt like I was being stabbed with a huge knife during every contraction- much more pain then I ever had early in inductions. It wasn't pleasant but I would have been willing to do it again if it got me out of a repeat c-section.