PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a fake Ergo?

Momma0918
03-04-2011, 06:39 AM
So I've been looking at getting an Ergo, and have been looking on eBay & noticing some listings saying "not all Ergos on eBay are authentic" so how do you spot a real from a fake?:headscratch:

HeavenlyHold
03-04-2011, 06:40 AM
I would be suspicious of the ads that look less professional....or less like they're made by a mom (for a used ergo). or...shipping from Hong Kong?

Momma0918
03-04-2011, 06:59 AM
yeah, im steering clear of any international sellers and looking for more 'unprofessional' listings :)

i just didn't know if anyone has heard of this before???

eahcapemay
03-04-2011, 07:05 AM
they mention it briefly at the top of the egro website on the home page. They don't give any details but they do say that fake ergos are being sold.

kykykam
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a real Ergo organic for sale. We have only used it a couple times. I just prefer our MeiTai. Ergo makes me feel claustrophobic for some reason. Let me know. :)

Socalwahine
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
If you don't mind a girly print, here's an awesome deal
http://www.babysteals.com/archive_products.php?id=697
I shop from this website and personally will vouch for it. Just be careful, their deals can get to be addicting :giggle:

zekedancin
03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Oh wow - never heard of this...

cjbennett4
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM
anyone have any more information on this?

escapethevillage
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I saw pictures on one website, and you can tell by the stitching holding the straps to the carrier. A real Ergo uses a rectangle with an X to hold the straps on, the fake ergo uses just one row of stitching.

escapethevillage
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Stole this from Mothering.com

I saw some really reasonable ergo's on eBay and figured i'd buy one for DD2's first birthday (we have a stretchy wrap, a ring-wrap, a mei-tai and a ringsling all homemade but DP isn't keen on any of them as he worries he's going to "do it wrong" and drop her).

I was sooooo excited when it came. I unpacked it. The box had a bunch of spelling errors. Uh-oh, i thought. Looks iffy. The plastic carry handle was missing from the top too. I opened it. It was fake.

Spelling errors all over the box.

No "stealth" logo on the buckles.

Padding on the straps and waist was thin.

Fabric felt cheap and thin.

Only one language on the safety label.

Pocket the hood tucks into was significantly smaller than on the pictures on the box.

Came with a DVD but no instructional booklet.

DVD froze up repeatedly and when viewing it on my laptop i saw the title of the file was "finalfinalergo"

DVD attempted to download a virus onto my laptop.

Dye came off of the (brown) fabric so fast that even though i literally just turned it over a few times i put red dye all over the laptop keys and baby wipes i changed DD's nappy with.

Buggysmom
06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
OH MY GOSH! I would be so mad if it turned out that I bought a fake! I wonder if that mother was able to do anything about it?

corinne76
06-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I actually bought a fake ergo off craigslist. I didnt get to inspefct it until I got home unfortunately. come to find out she sold a bunch of them.

THe padding was a little thinner. The warning label was in one language only and had a typo. the fabric was a little thinner.
according to Ergo CS, the hood pocket should have a little tag with a ID number on it. My fake had no such tag.
Some reports say the zipper is missing hte ergo logo but mine had one.

LittleLifeSize
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
This is a big issue on San Francisco Bay Area craigslist. I have noticed it, but not much can be done. I have 2 ergo carriers I purchased directly from Ergo and Nordstroms which are authorized retailers obviously, and I bought 2 more in 2 other colors I wanted, one off DS and one off craigslist.

$80 for a brand new galaxy grey ergo off craigslist is too good to be true. So upon meeting with the seller, I asked to inspect the ergo carrier, and lucky me, I had one of mine already in the backseat, compared them, and they are almost identical but for some minor details, that if you DO NOT own an authentic, you would never know. This had to be one of the best copies I have seen thus far, and I have seen A LOT of fake ergos from my local parenting and play groups, and from so many posts on this subject from the last year.

I told the craigslist seller, who looked appalled and said hers was a real and she bought from ergo itself, upon inspecting the packaging, I knew that was a lie too. So I didn't buy it. Went to Nordstroms instead. But one of my parenting group friends ended up buying it and she wore hers the same day I wore mine, and she kicked herself after comparing them.

I will take some pictures, of a side by side of my real GG ergo, and the fake ergo. These tiny details are only noticeable to owners who have used real ergos, have one on hand, or really know how to spot a fake. Will post after work.

Mommy2TwoGirls
05-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Wanted to bump this.

I didn't realize what a big problem this was! I've never had one so would probably fall for one of these... eek!

I just bought one from a momma on here and am very excited to get it!

cosmicky
05-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Yes I would totally steer clear of any Ergos shipped outside of U.S. Check the seller's ratings too that might help!

kalibratx4
07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
:( I want an ergo but I am so terrified of getting a FAKE!! ughhhhh

Bumping this up because they are all over Ebay and our Craigslist SF ( tons of the galaxy gray ones)

luvsviola
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Buy from an authorized dealer, and you are good to go. :)

anonny
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for that info!!

TaraB
07-22-2012, 02:33 PM
there was a thread a few weeks back that had a link to pics of the gray galaxy real vs fake. It showed packaging differences, warning label differences, stitching differences, and logo differences. maybe run a search on here for it.

Paislie98
07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Ergo lists authorized retailers and not authorized, there is only one authorizes retailer on eBay (name escapes me now though!)

ChocolateMoose
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Here's the link to the blog post mentioned earlier....

http://thehumbledoula.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/how-to-spot-a-fake-ergo-baby-carrier/

Fakes are MUCH more convincing now! It used to be easier to spot them (buckles, label location, etc) but now it's down to the thickness of the straps!

I've been ISO of a deal on a second Ergo and I've found that LOTS of people own fakes and don't know it, so be careful buying from Craigslist or Ebay, because they could think it's real and it's not! A lot of mamas are now including the original sales receipt to prove that it was bought from an authorized dealer.

ChocolateMoose
07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
BTW, from what I've found there are only two ways to know if your Ergo is real....

1. Buy from an authorized dealer
2. Call Ergo with the serial # from the tag in the hood pocket

The trick is that Ergo states all over its website that it will NOT help you authenticate purchases from Ebay or Craigslist, so you can't just call and ask them if they'll check the number for you. Even if you already own an Ergo and are just nervous about the authenticity, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops (telling them where/when it was purchased, submitting photos, etc) before they'll run the serial number. And, honestly, they probably get a TON of calls about verifying, so I can understand them making the process a little harder so people aren't tying up their customer service line all day!

hibiscus869
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Here's the link to the blog post mentioned earlier....

http://thehumbledoula.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/how-to-spot-a-fake-ergo-baby-carrier/ (http://thehumbledoula.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/how-to-spot-a-fake-ergo-baby-carrier/)

Fakes are MUCH more convincing now! It used to be easier to spot them (buckles, label location, etc) but now it's down to the thickness of the straps!

I've been ISO of a deal on a second Ergo and I've found that LOTS of people own fakes and don't know it, so be careful buying from Craigslist or Ebay, because they could think it's real and it's not! A lot of mamas are now including the original sales receipt to prove that it was bought from an authorized dealer.

Looked at that blog post. The fake Ergo is shockingly close to the original. You could easily get duped. I guess the only way to be sure is to order/buy from an authorized dealer. I did, although I had NO idea at the time how rampant the market was for the fakes. That is shameless.

lindsey.leanne
07-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know if there are fake Petunia Pickle Bottom Ergo's floating around? I really want one and would love to purchase from e-bay because there are some listed for very reasonable prices but don't want a fake...

I know to be sure I need to buy from an authorized retailer but I can't afford to!

hibiscus869
07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know if there are fake Petunia Pickle Bottom Ergo's floating around? I really want one and would love to purchase from e-bay because there are some listed for very reasonable prices but don't want a fake...

I know to be sure I need to buy from an authorized retailer but I can't afford to!

You know personally I think the Petunia Pickle prints would be harder to fake, so that seems like a pretty safe bet to me. Look at that post about the fake/real Ergo's and then see how they match up to the pictures of the ones on Ebay. That's what I'd do anyway.

lindsey.leanne
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
You know personally I think the Petunia Pickle prints would be harder to fake, so that seems like a pretty safe bet to me. Look at that post about the fake/real Ergo's and then see how they match up to the pictures of the ones on Ebay. That's what I'd do anyway.

This is what I was thinking. You would think they wouldn't go to the trouble of doing the very specific prints...

OlliePeapod
08-09-2012, 05:49 PM
you can always look here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/196221090408274/

Mama's seem to more honest when selling off a group page.

redheadinlove
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Real or fake baby carriers come down to your child's safety...just buy from an authorized seller and be done with it. Even if it costs more. I wouldn't even play the chance game. My daughters safety is worth the full price.

Lady_B
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
There are fakes in every color. I got a fake galaxy ergo and was so mad when I got it. Thankfully eBay gave me my money back. So I bought a real abc carrier for $78. I wrote them on fb asking wen their next sale was and they gave me a $20 off coupon code. I'd never buy a carrier from eBay again. Ever. Direct from manufacture

kbevie
08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
So I've been looking at getting an Ergo, and have been looking on eBay & noticing some listings saying "not all Ergos on eBay are authentic" so how do you spot a real from a fake?:headscratch:

Does the Ergo manufacturer website have a section for certified retailers? Or are you talking about used Ergos?

JennTheMomma
08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Go to Ergo's website and click on authorized retailers. It will give you all the shops and places that are authorized to sell. If a Ergo is priced lower than origional price on eBay (not a used one from a regular person) then it is likely a fake. There is only 1 authorized Amazon seller, and I believe 1 for eBay too and Ergo's website has them listed.

Tati2007
08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
if it says ergo baby carrier and the zippers are just plain they don't have the shell emblem it a knock off if you go to ergobaby.com they have a list