PDA

View Full Version : Do you HS in the summer??

applecrunch78
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Do you HS in the summer??

Hitchkids
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
When we need to, yes. lately we've had a baby every 18 months or so. So we often school during the summer so we can take time off when teh baby is born. But I have to say I really like the idea of schooling year round and taking several smaller breaks instead of one long one. So you can take vacations when other folks are in school, take a mental break when you need one, take a longer break around religious holidays, whatever works best for your family.

milehighmonkeys
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
We're not officially homeschooling as far as the board of education is concerned, but we take learning opportunities whenever we find them.

keegans_mommy
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
When our children were in PS, we always kept them up on their schooling with bridging activities so they didn't forget them before the next school year started. Now that we are HSing, nothing will change and we will continue, but at least the schooling we do will count for the next year :goodvibes:

We plan to do an abridged schedule and perhaps only do 3 days a week instead of 5 or one subject per day or something like that. We want them to still have some sort of a break but still be up on their schooling too. :thumbsup:

happyhomemom
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Math,reading and bible all year long

Choose2bgr8
03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, we unschool so we don't stop learning for summer, christmas, or easter. We learn all the time and use the world as a classroom and what better time for things like nature walks and talks about construction (we have two seasons here in michigan. winter and construction, lol) than in the summer?

newangel
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I use the summer as a break for me.

syfitz
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Yes, though on a much lighter schedule. We just work on things that I really wanted to do but didn't get to it. We also keep up on Math to cut out time spent on review after a long break.

serinat
04-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm new at this, but I plan to continue a looser schedule throughout the summer. We'll see how it works. We have a baby coming in the fall, so that affects my decisions, too.

tyles
04-10-2007, 07:02 AM
We have a loose schedule all year long. Keeps me from feeling guilty on days we get little to nothing done.

luckyduckies
04-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, we unschool so we don't stop learning for summer, christmas, or easter. We learn all the time and use the world as a classroom and what better time for things like nature walks and talks about construction (we have two seasons here in michigan. winter and construction, lol) than in the summer?
unschoolers here too :goodvibes:

LilHippyMamma
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure if I will later but we are going to this summer. My sons bday is after the deadline and this would be his first year in PS to go to PreK and I feel that not only am I going to homeschool him this yaer but would like to go ahead and get a kick start since he's a bit older and there are a few things I feel he's eager to learn

Luv2bemommy
04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
We sure will!! I will so we can take extra time off around holidays and if/when we do vacation times! ;) Also since I'm having a baby SOON time off from that will be needed too.

h&jsmom
04-22-2007, 09:20 AM
We plan to homeschool year round. :)

TJgirl
04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
We do Bible, math, music, and a few light household chores are on their checklists all year round. It is a great motivator in the summer, the kids have their tasks checked off by 9am so they can go to the beach or the park or whatever adventure we're on.

We also do reading all year long but shhhhh... the kids think reading is for pleasure!! :)

This-End-Up.com
04-22-2007, 09:55 AM
We do... 13 weeks school and 2 weeks off... that goes with hubby's work schedule.
~denise

2busy4me
04-29-2007, 04:59 PM
we do math, reading and Bible everyday too.

sjscnjs
05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
we do

momtolg
05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
We will be homeschooling through the summer...in part because I don't think a 3 month break would be good for my kids, and also since we did take off a month when David was born the end of November. I think this will be a decision we will make as we come to it each year.

Michelle
Mommy to Luke (8-12-00), Grace (10-22-02) and David (11-25-06)

Psychomom
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
My daughter has been in a public year-round school since kindergarten. We are considering homeschooling beginning next school year and if we do, I plan on following the year-round schedule.

1happymama
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
My DD is preschool now but we're gearing up for Kindergarten and we are going to go through the summer. But she desires that because it's part of her daily routine. I think when my kiddos are older I will still do a year-round approach to avoid the "summer of forgetfulness". :giggle:

eirbjorn
05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Do you HS in the summer??

Yes. We have to, because the children are with their dad for 2 months during the "school year" where they get no education. Where we live this year is going to make it really hard, lots of kids will be playing right outside our windows... it will be very loud and distracting.
But, I think we would do some HSing during the summer regardless. It gives structure to our days and we love it so much... probably switch it up a little, like do some unit studies or focus on the "fun" subjects like history and science... but definitely still have at least review in math and handwriting, but probably in alternative ways.

Larissa
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
We homeschool year round. Works out better for all of us....long breaks don't seem to be a good thing for us!

tarasanfran
05-23-2007, 11:27 PM
We have a loose schedule all year long. Keeps me from feeling guilty on days we get little to nothing done.

My kids are school age yet but that sounds about how I envision our schedule being.

CamoMom
05-24-2007, 01:51 AM
We have learning experiences and real-life education all year, but structured schoolwork? No. I need the break to regroup and plan.

sjscnjs
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
that us us too

MamaApril
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
We usually take a summer break. However, we usually break later than public schools, and start sooner than public schools. To be honest, usually once the summer reading program at our library ends, we start getting tired of nothing to do. We restart school in late July and early August most years.

This year, I've planned some light summer school ... a fun change from our usual curriculum. I'm planning for it to last until the end of August. I'm hoping it will help with the "tired of summer doldrums" in late July.