PDA

View Full Version : Organic canned beans versus dry beans?

MrsFishyMarineWife
03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Which are better?

DH is military and we just moved where we do not have a commissarry. Things are more expensive here so I need to cut down our grocery a little.

I ususally try to by as much organic as I can.

I read a thread here where you can buy dried beans and freeze them? That would be cheaper but is there a big difference because they aren't organic?

neatokimmo
03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I'd get dried over canned because of the BPA plastic linings in cans. (Sara has taught me well! lol)

Now if you had organic, BPA free lined cans....I wouldn't know which to choose. I'd have to know prices.

2queens&1princenmyhouse
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
:yeahthat: I'm trying to go can free b/c of BPA. I would go dried.

neatokimmo
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Oohh even better, do they have organic dried?

I bought my first batch at Whole Food last weekend. They were cheaper than my regular grocer at 1.89 pp (chickpeas) but more expensive than WM who can't seem to keep regular ones in stock for $1.50. So I gladly paid the extra 39 cents pp for organic.

pcjs
03-06-2011, 12:00 AM
We switch but my husband/son like the bagged (husband more). I ended up getting a rice cooker with a slow cook setting and I soak them, put them in with some veggie broth (so kinda not cheaper) or water or both, some veggies - what ever we have in the fridge, & cook for about two hours and it works well. I usually wait about an hour to add the veggies. I have added pasta but I did it upfront vs. waiting an hour and that didn't work but I'll probably try again. We just keep them in the fridge or freeze and our son nibbles on them.

myfrugalfunlife
03-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I've eliminated canned goods from my house about a month ago, so for me I choose the bagged option even though I haven't found an organic bagged option yet. Non-organic beans don't concern me as much as canned goods do.
Also-here's a recipe to make homemade refried beans, using dried beans
http://tightwadmomsfrugalforum.blogspot.com/2011/02/crockpot-refried-beans.html?showComment=1297269387323#c386674817113 2472844

lissa~K
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Oohh even better, do they have organic dried?

I read somewhere that dried beans have almost no detectable pesticide levels, so I don't worry about organic.

syfitz
03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I buy mostly dried beans in bulk, but I do get Eden Organics canned garbanzo beans. The cans are BPA free and I currently get 12 cans a month for around $14 on amazon subscribe and save. (we eat a lot of hummus)

OurAllenBaby
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I buy mostly dried beans in bulk, but I do get Eden Organics canned garbanzo beans. The cans are BPA free and I currently get 12 cans a month for around $14 on amazon subscribe and save. (we eat a lot of hummus)

Interesting..... I thought I read an article about how there are no BPA free cans in the USA as of right now. Even the cans without a visable lining have a clear sprayed in lining.\

MrsFishyMarineWife
03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks. :)

Next question is...how do you freeze the beans or have them ready for when you need them?

estradaamyl
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I use a pressure cooker. I can have beans ready in 20 minutes without having to presoak them. If I had to wait days to make beans, I don't think we would have any here!

neatokimmo
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I read somewhere that dried beans have almost no detectable pesticide levels, so I don't worry about organic.

That is good to know, I have 3 pounds of organic and like 15 pounds of regular ones to use up :ahh:

pcjs
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks. :)

Next question is...how do you freeze the beans or have them ready for when you need them?

We just put them in a Gerbers or Ziplock plastic container and pull them out the night before. Works well - especially for things like lentils.

syfitz
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Interesting..... I thought I read an article about how there are no BPA free cans in the USA as of right now. Even the cans without a visable lining have a clear sprayed in lining.\

Tomato products from Edens still have BPA lined cans, but the beans don't.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/7-bpa-free-canned-foods.php

sh0rtchica
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Tomato products from Edens still have BPA lined cans, but the beans don't.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/7-bpa-free-canned-foods.php

this is really great info, thanks!

I tried making hummus with dried beans, and i just couldn't get the consistency right. We don't buy anything canned. This is certainly worth checking out, I love Amazon subscribe and save!

Liadan23
03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
with dried beans, i usually like to soak them in water overnight, and then pour out the water the next morning and put them in my slow cooker with enough water to cover, on low for 6ish hours or high for 3-4. just until they're soft. and then you can split them up in baggies in 1.5 cup servings (1.5 cups cooked beans = 1 can of beans) and put them in the freezer to pull out and thaw whenever you need them :) sometimes had a couple cloves of garlic and some salt to the beans while they're cooking for extra flavor, but that's about it :)