PDA

View Full Version : Best Carrier for around the house

tkirwinhome
03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a one month old who weighs 10lbs but has little head control. I had planned on wearing him in my Sleepywrap around the house but I find it difficult to get him in and out and have it on. He is still to small for the Babytrekker-considering a ringsling. I love the Sleepywrap but it isn't a pop-in and out kind of carrier. LO wants to be wore all the time so I am looking for something that is a bit more flexible-ie that I don't need to re-tie after every feeding and change.

Thank you!

Prettylocks
03-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Ring slings and pouch slings are great for popping in and out. I see nice ones at the local resale shop for really cheap.

E&E_Bebe
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
We use the Moby. DD1 'lived' in it till she was ~4months.

With DD2, I put it on first thing in the morning and pop her in and out till I go to bed. I used it when we go out as well. I have it on and just put the baby in it when we arrive (we use a convertible car chair so we can't just take the seat out of the car.)

After they get too heavy ~4month we switched to the ergo and then DD1 lived there till 2yrs :) We rearly used the stroller ;)

Elo

tkirwinhome
03-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you both. I think the Moby is very similar to the SleepyWrap. I think I just need to get more skilled with the tie-getting it to the right tightness. Seems to get stretched out so easy. I traded my BabyHawk for a ToddlerHawk and hope to find someone to make the trade again. I really enjoyed that with my daughter when she was about 3 months.

Do you have a recommendation for a type of ringsling? I am worried that it will hurt my shoulder...

catanded
03-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I have 4 ringslings and I love all of them! My faves are the Pink Lemonade and the linen Eesti. I've also got an UpMamma and Pretty Mama. I keep wanting to get a BabyHawk, or make my own MT. When I can wear Wyatt on my back we'll be pretty much Ergo and Beco, though.

jenndoxx
03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
:popcorn:

I bought a Sleepy wrap for my baby due in May hoping it wouldn't be a hassle like the Moby. Everything I read said it was stretchy and that it wouldn't have to be re-tied everytime you take the baby out. That was what got on my nerves about the Moby - it just wouldn't stay tight enough for my liking, especially when he got over 10 lbs or so. I've been excited about the Sleepy, thinking I'll love it because I won't have the stretch-out problem I had with the Moby, but this is discouraging...

I hope you find something you like. I'm interested to see the recommendations.

tkirwinhome
03-26-2011, 02:37 PM
The Pink Lemonade looks really nice-the strap looks good and wide. THANK YOU

@jenndoxx Sorry to spoil it for you. It may be fine for you-just not for us. I really like the way the wrap works but the stretchy just doesn't seem good. I was thinking about investing in a woven wrap at some point to avoid that problem.

beckstar
03-26-2011, 03:07 PM
i love my peanut shell pouch sling. ive had it since my son's infancy...now working for children 3 and 4...in and out in a jiff and you can bf in it pretty easily...

jenndoxx
03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
The Pink Lemonade looks really nice-the strap looks good and wide. THANK YOU

@jenndoxx Sorry to spoil it for you. It may be fine for you-just not for us. I really like the way the wrap works but the stretchy just doesn't seem good. I was thinking about investing in a woven wrap at some point to avoid that problem.

Haha! I guess we'll see, but sounds like a good reason to look on FSOT for some different types of carriers to try. :giggle:

MommyJen_11
03-26-2011, 10:34 PM
DS is living in the Beco Gemini and Ring Sling. I find the Beco easier when cooking because it does not have all of the extra fabric. It's really comfortable and easy to get him in and out. Also great for errands since I know I've always got him in there right. He's 2 months with marginal head control.

miraclebaby
03-27-2011, 01:39 AM
i only use a rs. You can make one really cheap.

keebz
03-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I only have the peanut shell right now but he doesn't like it when he's wide awake. I'm expecting an Ergo to arrive soon and can't wait to try it out! Little guy is getting big quickly and heavy!

cramtonian
03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
I started out with the Moby, but couldn't get it right the first few weeks. I basically just carried him around in my arms. I tried a hotsling, and DS was NOT having it--or any other pouch type carrier. So I went back to the Moby, which I've discovered is great once you get the hang of it. I think the trick is to tie it on tighter and slightly higher than you think you should. I kind of manually "settle" his butt in the X, so we're stretching the jersey to begin with. When I tie it just right, I find I hardly have to adjust it later on. I have (almost 13 lb, some head control) DS in it basically the whole day, pop him out to eat/change. We haven't used it going out yet, but now that I'm more comfortable getting him in and out without a mirror, I'm excited to try.

I also have an Ergo, which is wonderful for going for walks with the infant insert. I feel like the insert keeps him a little warmer (I don't have one of those fancy baby-wearing vests/ponchos), and he seems comfortable in it.

I'd love to try out a Mei-Tai, since it seems like those would be pretty easy to put on/take off for quick grocery trips.

If you don't have any luck with other carriers, or you're still willing, give the Moby another shot. Of all the carriers I've tries so far, it's the one I go to most often. That said, it seems like there's no one good carrier for everyone.

Good luck!

cuddlebumz
03-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I personally prefer the wraps for younger babies, but I make my own, and use a heavier weight knit to avoid the tying issues when they are younger and to avoid the sagging issues as they get older/heavier. I really like the ring sling once they get a bit older and can ride on my hip, but both types honestly get just as much love from me. DH prefers the wrap hands down no matter what the age though.

lopedylo
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
ktan

spinnorsew
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
I made a mei tai when DS was little, but it was such a pain to tie all the time, I ended up getting an ergo-like thing (although now I wish I'd just gotten the ergo). They've got an infant insert, you know, for the little ones w/o head control. I've also got a ring sling that I've never really gotten the hang of, but I think if it was a softer, thicker material (it's linen) it would be really awesome, while they're still small and not too heavy for the one-shoulderness. Good luck!

Cindyrella
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I love my ring sling, but now that my DD is 3 months and 14lbs, it's starting to kill my back - not to mention that it's quite hot, and we're going to be in the 90's in Georgia this weekend. I'm looking for a carrier that is comfortable, and cool!

luvsviola
05-27-2011, 01:16 AM
I love love love my Gemini! It worked well from day one. We just came home from 9 days at Disney, and DD2 lived in the Gemini the entire time, as DD1 commandeered the stroller.

norsejenta
06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Love the Beco Butterfly..

besthealthyself
06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Love my sleepywrap, but its starting to seem to hot to wear it with the AZ summer heat upon us now : (

IheartWE
06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
I find that I can take dd in and out of the sleepy wrap a couple of times before I rewrap it. I'm super curious about the beco that can be used facing out (is that the gemini?). Dd is 4 months and will only sit facing out in the sleepy which I know isn't the correct way.

elizhayes99
07-05-2011, 11:58 AM
We loved Moby until she started getting too big & weather heated up....now have a lightweight wrap that we're loving until my O&A gets here! :)