PDA

View Full Version : Labor induction cocktail - substitution?

hippieintraining
04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi ladies

I've been given this recipe (roughly) to try to get me going... I'm 10 days over now and lose my homebirth option at 14 (I'm taking it tomorrow, at 11 days over).

2 Tbls. almond butter
2Tbls. Castor oil
blend in 300ml water
200ml apricot nectar
5 drops lemon verbena

I can't seem to find apricot nectar anywhere... I've read online (though I can't find those sites again) that I could use mango or something else... does anyone know what I could use instead? Is there something special about apricot? And nectar vs juice?

TIA!!!

spacetygrss
04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi ladies

I've been given this recipe (roughly) to try to get me going... I'm 10 days over now and lose my homebirth option at 14 (I'm taking it tomorrow, at 11 days over).

2 Tbls. almond butter
2Tbls. Castor oil
blend in 300ml water
200ml apricot nectar
5 drops lemon verbena

I can't seem to find apricot nectar anywhere... I've read online (though I can't find those sites again) that I could use mango or something else... does anyone know what I could use instead? Is there something special about apricot? And nectar vs juice?

TIA!!!

Honestly, I have a feeling that the apricot nectar is just to try to cover the taste and texture of the castor oil. I would just use another thick, pulpy juice such as mango so that you can help hide the texture of the castor oil (as much as you can do that...castor oil is yucky!!). I hope that it works out for you.

misskira
04-17-2011, 07:19 PM
They had a fruit nectar multipack when I as at Costco today. I think it was Hansen's brand? Not sure what kind they had in it, but I just know there is a variety. My guess is it's to help cover up the taste of the castor oil since it's a nice thick juice. I would imagine any flavor nectar would work though. Mango probably has a good strong flavor. And I know I've seen peach nectar, that would be similar.

katiecornflakes
04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I just heard about this recipe, too, and occasionally I've seen it with OJ so you could try that if you can't find any of the nectars PP posted.

I had a heck of a time finding verbena oil! Not sure if I'll even end up using it but I have it just in case. ;)

GL mama!!

Kirsie
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I used that with my last except I used orange juice and banana- not nectar. Worked like a charm too!

hippieintraining
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Very encouraging!! Thanks ladies!!

Andbabymakes2
04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
GL! with my last birth I was 41+6 and I just took a couple of swigs of the castor oil, 2x a few hours apart. Add some walking, pressure point massage, and the mindset that I WAS going to have that baby today, I did. lol Keep in mind that you will really have to pOOp!! Fx that you get your HB!!!

jenbengtson
04-17-2011, 11:32 PM
castor oil and oj worked for me...