PDA

View Full Version : Flip covers with prefolds?

ENeidigh
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
So, I read that Flip diapers were leaky when baby started moving around. Easy to believe as they get all bunched up in the middle. So, I recently took them out of my rotation.

but, I wonder if you can use prefolds or fitteds (I don't really know what those are) under a Flip cover. Has anyone done this?

and if you use a prefold, do you use snappis or pins to hold the prefold and then apply the cover? or do you just stick it in there and snap the cover on?

I like the Flip/Grovia systems conceptually and I'd like to keep my covers in the rotation, but the rest of my diapers are pockets, so I don't know a lot about using prefolds and covers.

emeyer76
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I use Flips on my almost 2 year old, and have been doing so for the last 18 months or so :D So I vote to put them back into your rotation! They're the only PUL that we have in our stash and they've never ever leaked for me. Once they leaked for my in-laws, but they put it on too loose and the insert was half outside of the cover - no way to avoid a leak that way!!!

Fitteds are shaped and function like your pockets, except that there's no waterproof outside and nothing to stuff (unless you get pocket fitteds). Check out the Fitteds section in FSOT to see some examples. So you would just be using your Flip as a cover over the fitted for waterproofing. You can also use fitteds without a cover when we're home, so your kiddo's bum can get some air :-) Just make sure you change often so there's no leaking.

If you use a prefold, you can snappi/pin as usual and then use the cover over it, similar to how you would use a fitted. Or you can just tri-fold the pf and lay it in the cover and tuck in the edges under the flaps. If you trifold, you will want to make sure you have a snug fit all around, or it could sag and get bunched up.

We tri-folded until DS was walking at around 10 months, then we moved to fitteds, and now we're wooly-obsessed, but we still use our Flips every day for going out :-)

Hope that helps!

hilaryisinked
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Sure you can. I've used them with snappied prefolds and trifolded prefolds. Works great but I prefer a snappi or pin fastened prefold to ensure it won't move around.

ENeidigh
04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
thanks - I think I'll buy some snappis and see how it goes :)

moonsandmarshmellows
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
The only thing I use is prefolds, trifolded into covers. Flips, econobums, thirsties, and grovia.

mariamommy
04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I primarily use snappi'ed prefolds under flip covers. they're my favorite!

tooker2010
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I have never had a leak with one of my Flip covers. I use them over snappi'ed prefolds, trifolded prefolds, and flats. They work great. If your cover is bunching up in the middle, try pulling the excess to the front and adjusting the rise . When my DD is in between sizes (like right now) I put the diaper on her, then adjust the cover, and only snap the middle rise snap (does that make any sense?) This way I get a better fit without it being too tight. Good luck!

thejuel
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Flips are the only diaper I have never had a leak in. Well, when using a prefold. We had bad leaks with the stay dry insert. I use a Thirsties prefold trifolded in the cover or a snappi'ed Imagine prefold. I love Flips. We even use them at night. No leaks.

mfergy0625
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Flips are my go-to diaper for my 21 month old. I use either the stay-dry inserts or trifolded prefolds and I've never had a leak, even overnight (with a doubler)

phridae
04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
no offense to the OP, but threads like this pop up all the time. I'm wondering why people think they can't use flip covers with other diapers besides flips. I mean, its just a cover? Are people under the impression that flip covers will only work with flip inserts?

ENeidigh
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
no, not really. but as someone who has only used pockets and Flips, I don't have experience with prefolds or all the cover-type diapers. Seems to me that Kissaluvs and such that I see on Amazon come with fitted inserts. And maybe there's something snuggy about them that's different from the Flip covers - I don't know.

I apologize for posting something that pops up often enough that a search probably would have sufficed.

AZmommy
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I pin my prefolds under flips.

purna079
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
no offense to the OP, but threads like this pop up all the time. I'm wondering why people think they can't use flip covers with other diapers besides flips. I mean, its just a cover? Are people under the impression that flip covers will only work with flip inserts?

Flip covers seem alot smalller thanother covers, maybe thats why.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

ReadingRenee
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
no, not really. but as someone who has only used pockets and Flips, I don't have experience with prefolds or all the cover-type diapers. Seems to me that Kissaluvs and such that I see on Amazon come with fitted inserts. And maybe there's something snuggy about them that's different from the Flip covers - I don't know.

I apologize for posting something that pops up often enough that a search probably would have sufficed.

No worries. :) I have noticed being the avid search function user I am so that I don't have to post a new thread, that even if there are 17 threads about the same thing they all have some different info. Different people post on them each time, sometimes there has been a few months and there is a new product out or someone has figured something out or something else. So I look at every thread that is posted that has been posted before as an opportunity to learn something new about a subject that has been discussed before.

And I usually do. :goodvibes:

to answer your question, I really cannot do snappied PF's or flats underneath the Flip. The way they are cut drives me crazy for not covering the whole diaper. I have better luck with snappied flats than I do with snappied pfs becuase the pf's are thicker.

Usually I just use a padfolded flat or a trifolded Pf with my flip covers. :)

Mama2GBGB08
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I've always used prefolds trifolded in my Flips. :thumbsup:

Bethan_77
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I use gmd reds under the flip, trifolded longways. My baby is 6m and nearly crawling.