PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to share Netflix?

AniBee
05-01-2011, 07:40 AM
We're getting rid of our pricey satellite tv to save money, but I'm in Canada & our Netflix here isn't so great. I want to access the US version of Netflix but need an American credit card or American Paypal account which I clearly don't have. I'd love to share a Netflix account with someone in the US & pay for it in full to that person via Paypal setup with an automatic monthly plan or pay someone for access to their username/pass. Great way for someone to have a little extra cash in Paypal for dipes.

Just to ease minds, it's in no way illegal to share a Netflix account nor for me to access Netflix from Canada. Any one Netflix account can gain access to the site via 4 separate computers/devices per year...an American visiting a friend in Canada could use that friend's computer & log-in to their account to stream media...so in no way illegal.

If interested, let me know :)

Manna00
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Do you have any family in the US? This just doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do with someone from a forum who's an "unknown"--not to sound mean. As far as being "illigal"... it sounds like you are using a loophole in the Netflix stipulations. I'm pretty sure the "access to four computers" deal should be used within the same household--or else what would stop every 4 families that uses netflix not to "share" one account?

AniBee
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Well, the legality isn't a loophole...it's not illegal. Whether it's ethical is a different topic, but people rent movies & loan those movies to friends etc...I view it as pretty much the same.

I would not have access to the registrants important information, so I could do no damage to their account & since it'd be a monthly fee from my paypal to them, if something went awry & they blocked me from the account I could cancel the payments. Also, if I didn't pay they could change the account password. Not really much to lose, imo.

I don't have family in the us :/

KrisM
05-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Do you have any family in the US? This just doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do with someone from a forum who's an "unknown"--not to sound mean. As far as being "illigal"... it sounds like you are using a loophole in the Netflix stipulations. I'm pretty sure the "access to four computers" deal should be used within the same household--or else what would stop every 4 families that uses netflix not to "share" one account?

Well, all I can find on their agreement says "If you disclose your password to anyone or share your account and/or devices with other people, you take full responsibility for their actions.", which sounds like it's fine to share, so long as the account holder knows it's their responsibility.

I can't find anything that says you can't do that.

greenMamaOwl
05-01-2011, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't mind doing this to help you out, Mama! :)

AniBee
05-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Thank You! I just replied to your PM :)

jamieism
05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Pm'd you but have you checked out amazon? They might be a good alternative too

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

2+2macht4
05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
If the other mama does not work out you can pm me. :)

I just want to make sure the cc is not visible lol. Nothing personal :P

AniBee
05-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks ladies! It worked out with greenMamaOwl! & she uses Paypal, so it's safe us both! She said she was thinking of canceling but her DS watches it so it works out great for both sides.

The Amazon Prime [I think that's what it's called] isn't available in Canada either. We do have Netflix, but with very very limited movies & shows. If you looked at the listings I'm sure you American Netflix users would be shocked...

Now...does anyone have Hulu Plus? lol ;)

greenMamaOwl
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks ladies! It worked out with greenMamaOwl! & she uses Paypal, so it's safe us both! She said she was thinking of canceling but her DS watches it so it works out great for both sides.

The Amazon Prime [I think that's what it's called] isn't available in Canada either. We do have Netflix, but with very very limited movies & shows. If you looked at the listings I'm sure you American Netflix users would be shocked...

Now...does anyone have Hulu Plus? lol ;)

Thanks, Mama! Glad it worked out for the both of us! :thumbsup:

2+2macht4
05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I would split on hulu plus with you :)

mapleleaf88
05-01-2011, 10:59 AM
If you're streaming Hulu it might be a little bit different... DF and I attempted to use Hulu when we first got our computer hooked up to the TV. It required all of this special software to "trick" Hulu into thinking we were actually in the US, and they eventually figured us out and the programs stopped working. It was a shame, because there were a lot of shows that DSS was addicted to on Hulu.
I was SO excited when Netflix streaming was available in Canada - we cancelled our cable. Although the selection is piddly compared to the US we always manage to find something we enjoy, and the kids show selections are massive! Each month they seem to be catching up to the US and gaining more licenses (plus CBC shows and whatnot), so we're gonna stick it out!

foreternity
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
AniBee,

I'd be very interested to know if this works! I'm also in NS and when DH went to Vegas for work, he was unable to use his Canadian Netflix account there, due to region limits? If it works for you, I'd be interested in doing the very same as you!

Cheers :)

ctj101502
05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh I would love to split my costs w/ someone!! I fear anyone that hasn't been around a while..Though I am not sure how you would use it at home besides the internet/computer?

AniBee
05-02-2011, 04:45 AM
To watch American streaming content in Canada you need a VPN. Sometimes you can get away with a free one, like HotSpot Shield, but Netflix has started blocking it. You can pay a monthly or yearly fee [as little as around $5] for a set VPN service that usually does the trick, but you sometimes have to change some settings on your computer as well...it took me a while to figure things out by doing some research online.

Currently I pay $5 a month for a VPN [I use VPN Authority]. I tweaked some settings on my computer & I can access the American Netflix as well as HULU & other sites that generally block content outside their region. So for $13 a month I can use the American Netflix, Hulu & stream content like full episodes on major American stations.

Now keep in mind you can't access the American Netflix on you Wii or Blu-ray players etc [unless there's a workaround I don't know about]...but you can hook up your PC to you TV or other devices to playback.

ohmmama
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
It is completely fine to share netflix. totally legal and the 4 devices can operate at once. Netflix is awesome! I'm sorry I would definitely do it but we have a lot of computers and devices (Ipads, Ipods etc) that we use at once so we are maxxed out. Especially if you set up an automatic payment this would be a great idea! props mama!

ohmmama
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
If you're streaming Hulu it might be a little bit different... DF and I attempted to use Hulu when we first got our computer hooked up to the TV. It required all of this special software to "trick" Hulu into thinking we were actually in the US, and they eventually figured us out and the programs stopped working. It was a shame, because there were a lot of shows that DSS was addicted to on Hulu.
I was SO excited when Netflix streaming was available in Canada - we cancelled our cable. Although the selection is piddly compared to the US we always manage to find something we enjoy, and the kids show selections are massive! Each month they seem to be catching up to the US and gaining more licenses (plus CBC shows and whatnot), so we're gonna stick it out!

Netflix kids shows are awesome! There are even PBS shows and totally commercial free! well worth the money. My hubby and I pay for Netflix and Hulu plus and no cable so internet and all the shows and movies we could watch only cost us about 50 bucks a month!

nalazimbala
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I would be happy to share if anyone else is interested, but we already use it on our 3 computers...so I would only have one left if anyone wanted to use it.

Blueroses
05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I was going to start NetFlix up again and sharing would make it even easier for me. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

ctj101502
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I was going to start NetFlix up again and sharing would make it even easier for me. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

I would love to w/ ya!! My only question, how would you access it thru your TV? I don't rememebr my xbox code.... Also I only use it on my laptop and tv currently, so if I try to access at MILs house, would that cont as the 3rd? Even if I only did it 1x?

What about DVDs? i have the $10/ 1 cause I get DVDs..Would you get this too or would you only be able to get the streaming?

sillymama
05-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Kind of off topic, but we use netflix on more than 4 devices. We have 2 laptops, a desktop, 2 itouches, and a Wii, and we've accessed netflix from each of those, although never more than on 2 devices at a time.

amandamcgrady
05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I am in South carolina but i would like to piggyback and share cost with someone for netflix on demand.

ctj101502
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
who ever pms me i will give info and my pp addy, $4/mo but DVDs won't come w/ it

Blueroses
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I would love to w/ ya!! My only question, how would you access it thru your TV? I don't rememebr my xbox code.... Also I only use it on my laptop and tv currently, so if I try to access at MILs house, would that cont as the 3rd? Even if I only did it 1x?

What about DVDs? i have the $10/ 1 cause I get DVDs..Would you get this too or would you only be able to get the streaming?

Hi! I would only get the streaming portion of it. I would like to acces it through my Wii and my iPad... so 2 devices. I am not sure how the device count works, but I know I would need the access codes that you use. Let me know if your interested and we can workout how much of the payment I would need to send you. :goodvibes:

AniBee
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Sorry ladies, read today that it's 6 devices!

You don't need a code for computer use...I think codes are only needed for blu-ray players, wii etc. but all devices, including computers, count as a unique device. If you've used Netflix once on a computer you don't plan on ever using it on again, you can deactivate that device in the account & help section after you've logged in.

You can access it from all 6 devices at once, I believe...just no more than 6 devices can access the account in total.

You cannot get DVD's if sharing an account, obviously. They'd just be sent to the main account holders address. But so far things are working out lovely with the sharing between greenMamaOwl & I. I'm glad we can both benefit.

momof3boys1girl
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
bumping this for more questions :giggle: Ok dh cancelled ours so no more streaming. If someone shared an xbox/wii code the person piggybacking couldnt actually do anything right? Im thinking for 4 a month(is that the cost) dh would be ok with it bc we streamed anyways for the kids.

ETA: we mostly use the xbox or ps3 to stream so i would need a code as well correct?

WyattsMommy09
06-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I have netflix and we only use it on the TV if anyone wants to piggy back off us :) But its the basic plan, not the DVD one... we're cheapies lol

kcase6
06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I did a little googling since all this streaming tv stuff is new to me and I found this
http://www.thereviewcrew.com/news/how-to-get-american-netflix-in-canada-review-of-usvideo-ca/

Sent from my SAMSUNG using DS Forum

luminajd
06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110601/ap_on_hi_te/us_password_sharing_crackdown
Enjoy it while you can, TN is making it illegal to share Netflix accounts, I am betting other states will follow soon.

Manna00
06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I was JUST coming to share that!