PDA

View Full Version : Food stamp update

EveryDayIsANewDay
05-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I finally received a letter in the mail yesterday that said general info about your eligibility etc.

Then it says Notice of Denial for FS for April, May, June 2011.
Reason for Denial:
You did not give us the information we requested.
Manual reference: TANF SE1110, FS SE 3105, MAO CH2050
(No idea what that means above because I only applied for FS, not TANF or whatever MAO is?)
If you disagree with our decision, please see the last page of this form for information on your right to request a fair hearing.

The information listed below helped us make our decision:
Your living arrangement is AT HOME.
You requested FS for 3 person(s).
Your CHILD SUPPORT PAID DIRECTLY TO CL (children??) is 833.32 (this number is wrong, I receive 800 a month exactly and I said so on the online application and no idea where he came up with this number.)

If you disagree with or do not understand this decision, call your caseworker (already have never received a call back by 48 hrs). If you decide to file for a fair hearing, the back of the last page of this notice tells how to file an appeal.

So.....I guess I'll file for a hearing, but I don't understand why I can't just get someone to call me back and explain why my child support letter never was received by fax. And I don't understand why based off the three criteria listed above, they are saying they came up with their decision to not give it to me, besides not receiving the fax? 800 for a family of 3 is not enough to survive off of, much less buy groceries with. :headscratch:

Mama2ManyBoyz
05-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I heard of someone in your exact situation who was just denied food stamps. Actually she has one more child then you and half as much income. I'm wondering three things, a. if "living at home" immediately disqualifies you because you are not head of household and b. if all of the income in the home is supposed to be accounted for ie your mom's or c. if they use a completely different calculator for situations like this where they consider you rent free or a dependent of the head of household.

I could be wrong, but I literally JUST saw the same thing happen to someone else.

The other thing is that I think they have their own formula for figuring monthly income/support etc. They may have taken your 800 and put it into their own calculator that counts the fifth weeks of a month and such. kwim?

bshepp
05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Do you file taxes or are you claimed as a dependent by someone else? even if you live with your parents you are still the head of YOUR household so make sure you mark head of household

mysticmomma1879
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
http://billeater.com/tips/how-apply-a-georgia-compass-ebt-card-food-stamps

Household size of 3 people income limit is 1907 with a max benefit of 463. Are you on WIC?

KaleidoscopeEyes
05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Here iin mo you have to be either disabled or employed to qualify for FS beyond 6 months. when we moved here to MO and x didnt have job yet we did get them and we were living with inlaws but we had to have them sign something that stated food was prepared separately

it was 6 years ago but we were allowed to get full benefits of $398 if our income was less than $1600

EveryDayIsANewDay
05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Do you file taxes or are you claimed as a dependent by someone else? even if you live with your parents you are still the head of YOUR household so make sure you mark head of household

Jason and I filed jointly in January because I moved out in December; we are still married, but are separated. I called the office before I applied for FS and they said to apply as head of household even though I lived with my mom because we can eat and shop separate (mom and sis are rarely home anymore anyways). When I had my phone interview May 9th, he said everything was ready to go, just wanted the signed letter from Jason saying he gave me $800 a month, so it was faxed May 12th. He never once asked if I live with my mother or if anyone else lived with me or if there was another person making money in the house.

Mama2Many- My friend just moved in with her mom about 2 months ago because her husband literally abandoned her and her DD, and her mother is married and they both hold full time jobs, but my friend doesn't and she's on Medicaid (or is it Medicare?) and has food stamps and WIC. She doesn't get child support, but her parents do make good money. It's just confusing.

Kaleidoscope- they never asked me to sign something saying we would eat separately. I haven't been employed since 2007 and have never been on FS before.

Mysticmomma- The kids are on WIC and have been for 4 years now. It would be for 3 people (stbxH doesn't live here). I remember the number was still over $800.

mysticmomma1879
05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
If you are the fulltime care giver of a child under 6 you are exempt from the employment requirement.

http://www.gettingfoodstamps.org/newrules.htm

Work Requirement Exemptions
DTA recently clarified some of the exemptions from work requirements in the SNAP/Food Stamp Work Program (FS/WP) and the SNAP/Food Stamp Employment and Training Program (FS/ET). A person who is responsible for the care of a dependent child under age 6 or of someone who is incapacitated is exempt from both the FS/ET and the FS/WP. The person does not have to be living in the same household as the dependent child or the incapacitated person. A person who is residing in a home where a household member is under age 18 is exempt from the FS/WP. The person does not have to be related to or responsible for the household member under 18, nor does the household member under 18 have to be receiving SNAP/food stamp benefits.

mysticmomma1879
05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
oops, my post should have said 3 people. I'll go edit.

jks06457
05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Sometimes the caseworkers break the income stuff down weekly and then multiply by 4.3 NOT 4. this has made a difference in the past.

we are on food stamps since I only make $9/hr and DH is working on getting the business up. You also might want to find out if there is a summer lunch program in your area. This is an extension on the school lunch program and is a couple of years old and just starting to spread out.

Clothobsessed2010
05-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I work food stamps in Alabama so I'm not sure if they do it exactly the same in GA, but I can tell you how we do it. We have a system that looks up child support and we can see the exact payments you receive. If payments are irregular we usually add all the payments together that were received in the last 3 completed months. Then it's divided by 3.

If you receive it weekly the weekly amount is multiplied by 4.3 because some months you would receive it more than 4 times.

If you receive it biweekly it is multipled by 2.15.

It doesn't sound like you were denied because of anything dealing with your income, but because they requested information you did not turn in. You should be able to call you worker and ask what information it was you needed to turn in. In AL you would be denied 30 days after the application, BUT have an additional 30 days to turn the information after the denial.

It may take your worker more than 48 hours to return your call as you'd be amazed at how many calls we receive, but if you don't hear back in a couple more days I'd try calling again. I get a minimum of 50 calls a day on top of having to do interviews, paperwork, etc.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to help as much as possible. :)

EveryDayIsANewDay
05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I work food stamps in Alabama so I'm not sure if they do it exactly the same in GA, but I can tell you how we do it. We have a system that looks up child support and we can see the exact payments you receive. If payments are irregular we usually add all the payments together that were received in the last 3 completed months. Then it's divided by 3.

If you receive it weekly the weekly amount is multiplied by 4.3 because some months you would receive it more than 4 times.

If you receive it biweekly it is multipled by 2.15.

It doesn't sound like you were denied because of anything dealing with your income, but because they requested information you did not turn in. You should be able to call you worker and ask what information it was you needed to turn in. In AL you would be denied 30 days after the application, BUT have an additional 30 days to turn the information after the denial.

It may take your worker more than 48 hours to return your call as you'd be amazed at how many calls we receive, but if you don't hear back in a couple more days I'd try calling again. I get a minimum of 50 calls a day on top of having to do interviews, paperwork, etc.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to help as much as possible. :)

Jason's child support is not court ordered as we have not filed for divorce (which is why I'm selling everything I have, so I can pay the costs for a contested one). He is obligated through the Army to pay I think its 798 a month since we have no separation agreement or divorce decree, so he just rounds it up to $800 a month. It's once a month, not biweekly, weekly, etc.

I'm about to PM you. Thanks :-)

bpagels
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I am in GA too. Login to your ga compass acct and see if the letter was sent before they got your info in, you may actually be approved and your acct will tell you. I have had that happen before, where all was actually well, but I got a letter like that anyway. The letter indicates they didnt get your fax that you were talking about. My ex pays me CS (not court ordered) and i just give them a letter written by him every 6 mos saying what he pays. Easy peasy. If your caseworker hasnt called back call the main # and ask for their supervisor :) GL mama

EveryDayIsANewDay
05-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I am in GA too. Login to your ga compass acct and see if the letter was sent before they got your info in, you may actually be approved and your acct will tell you. I have had that happen before, where all was actually well, but I got a letter like that anyway. The letter indicates they didnt get your fax that you were talking about. My ex pays me CS (not court ordered) and i just give them a letter written by him every 6 mos saying what he pays. Easy peasy. If your caseworker hasnt called back call the main # and ask for their supervisor :) GL mama

Ya I wrote a post last week about logging in to the compass site and it saying my case was closed. Someone gave me the number to the Office of Civil Rights but I missed the return call Friday. I have called the main line, when I push the option for the operator or food stamps office it just rings and rings and the 800 number has a 45+ min wait time. I guess I'll just keep trying to get a hold of someone Tuesday since Mon is a holiday and return the call to the civil rights office.