PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a natural remedy for yeast infection?

SheilaJoy
06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't currently have one, but I'm trying to plan ahead. I know people say to eat yogurt, does anyone else have any natural remedies?

MamaMel
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I can't eat yogurt (DD can't tolerate dairy) so I take probiotics when and after an antibiotic. If its thrush then there is a receipe that used of GSE and water. But a vaginal yeast infection I don't know any.

bamamom
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
tea tree oil kills fungus like you wouldnt believe...i have used it for years...

i can tolerate it full strength down there...but some folks need to dilute it in olive oil . Test it out first...if you're really raw and irritated already, go ahead and dilute it half and half at first. it is very cool and mentholated...

Natra Bio is a brand of homeopathic stuff that makes a Candida yeast relief tablet. They are only about 8 bucks for a big bottle. That stuff is totally safe while nursing.. i have used it alot, and alot of my friends have too, with no ill effects on baby...

I have also heard that wrapping an intact clove of garlic in gauze and sticking it up....there....:blush: will do the trick. Garlic is like poison to yeast! But I have never tried it....

babydirtybike
06-06-2006, 11:15 PM
The yogurt helps, but it has to be plain. Sugar just feeds the yeast. You can use the yogurt topically as well if you really need some relief. Watch the sugar/white flour in your diet, it's like a yeast buffet.

I have done the garlic thing. I don't know if it worked or not. I was on antibiotics and didn't try the garlic til the end, so I don't know if my body just balanced out once the drugs were done or if it was the garlic. Felt like a real tool putting a string around garlic and putting it up there.:laugh:

Good luck.

keegans_mommy
06-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Are you getting some Sea Pearls? You can wet one and sprinkle TTO on it and insert one in and supposedly that takes care of it. While you do that, I would also take some GSE (grapefuit seed extract) as that is natures antibiotic and takes care of everything!

Good luck!

ModernMama
06-07-2006, 05:41 AM
You can crush garlic in olive oil and also add a few drops of tea tree oil and soak a tampon in that and insert the tampon. Also, eating plain yougurt or taking probiotics orally will help. Avoid all sugar as yeast thrives on sugar!

jeanieande
06-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Just spoke with my physician about this and she suggested Acidopholus which restores the natural balance of yeast in your body. She also said that because yeast is a fungus, GSEE will sometimes not work so great.

keegans_mommy
06-07-2006, 06:08 AM
It is a yeast but GSE has been used by so many for yeast infections, both vaginal and thrush. :) I am not trying to be a PITA so you can kick my butt if you want too :mrgreen: Just saying that it has worked beautifully for both myself and my DD when we had thrush and taking care of colds in record time. I am just sold on the stuff :mrgreen:

Quiverfillin
06-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I have used the garlic clove trick, and it worked wonders!

jeanieande
06-07-2006, 09:52 AM
It is a yeast but GSE has been used by so many for yeast infections, both vaginal and thrush. :) I am not trying to be a PITA so you can kick my butt if you want too :mrgreen: Just saying that it has worked beautifully for both myself and my DD when we had thrush and taking care of colds in record time. I am just sold on the stuff :mrgreen:

Meh, I agree and it's definitely worthy of trying out. Just relaying what my physician told me...as the information might be of help to somebody out there.

eoconnel
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
You can eat yogurt with active cultures. The best thing is to up some plain yogurt with active cultures up there.

SheilaJoy
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh, so you actually insert the yogurt? I thought you were supposed to eat it! :blush:
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm a little afraid to try the garlic clove, but if I ever get a bad one, I probably would! Where do you get GSE from?

keegans_mommy
06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Where do you get GSE from?

Health food store. ;)

bamamom
06-07-2006, 12:38 PM
glad to hear the tampon trick!

hippiemama
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I really like apple cider vinegar. You just rinse with it after everytime you go to the bathroom or as often as you can. That killed one I had when I first got pregant in about a week it was totally gone. I think I used it for two or three weeks to make sure nothing was coming back but once its gone you only have to do it a coule times a day.

MamaLove
06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Wow! You ladies already said most of what I would have said, but here's some more tips: Don't scratch, which spreads it. Put tto or 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water solution rinse every time it itches. Fresh air (no undies or only 100% cotton), and don't eat anything with yeast (mostly particular breads) and avoid sugar (especially refined sugar, but fruits, too).:thumbsup:

Ama
06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
I have used garlic and it works. I take the clove, wrap in gauze and attach a string. You don't even need to attach the string if you are used to getting things like diva cups and such out. I have also douched with TTO. I think having some Acidopholus in the house is a great thing to. I have to remember to pick some up!

dirtdartwife
06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Are you getting some Sea Pearls? You can wet one and sprinkle TTO on it and insert one in and supposedly that takes care of it. While you do that, I would also take some GSE (grapefuit seed extract) as that is natures antibiotic and takes care of everything!

Good luck!
:yeahthat: I was thinking the same exact thing. I've personally never tried it as I've been blessed to never have had a yeast infection (knock on wood here)... but I've read this solution alot and it's worth a try. (or at least if I was to ever get one, I'd try this first)
:goodvibes:

mrsott
06-16-2006, 10:59 AM
I got them a lot when I was preg... I tried garlic which grossed me out, as did yogurt. The best cure I found was acidopholus. I have the powder in the fridge, and I would either put some in an empty capsule (from my vits, I would pull it apart and dump out the vit) but sometimes the capsule didnt desolve all the way. So I mixed a lot w/ a little water, used a medicine syringe, and squirted that in and around... A few times a day, and they were gone in a day or 2... I would do it for a few days following just ot be sure as well. Speaking of tampons, I also read somewhere to put the yogurt in an empty tampon tube, and then put it in the freezer, than insert it like a tampon.... sounds a bit chilly to me...

lararum
06-23-2006, 10:56 AM
If you're using yogurt topically, you need to get it into the vagina, and put it on the vulva as well. It's a bit messy:laugh: Good to do at night.
Also, all cotton underwear, always!

velouria
07-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I used to get a ton of yeast infections when I was in college... and I was also a starving student so I couldn't afford to be buying the Monistat treatments all the time at $25 each.

Someone I knew who was studying chemisty told me to try diluting distilled white vinegar in water at a 1:4 ratio and douching with it. She said that yeast can't live in an acidic environment.

I bought one of those reusable douche thingies at a drugstore and used that.

Well, it worked! With really bad yeast infections that caused lacerations, I would get pretty severe temporary burning... but I kind of liked that because it told me it was working. :blush:

I would do this douche treatment at night and my yeast infection was almost always gone by morning. :mrgreen:

I highly recommend the vinegar trick!

soygurl
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
This site http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/ had a lot of really good info on yeast infections, including very in-depth info on all kinds of treatments (both OTC, Rx, and natural). The "do-it-yourself" section mentions mostly things that have already been mentionded, but gives some really helpful detailed info! (and no, it's not my site)

~Kelsie

MommaTooters
08-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Awesome thread! Thanks OP for posting this.

Does anyone know if I can get TTO or acidopholus at Wal Mart? I deperately need something like NOW and all I have around me is Wal Mart and CVS.

duckpondsunset
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Acidophilus Capsules from the refrigerator section at a health food store or nutritional supply- insert 2 in vag. every 4-6 hours or so until the infection is gone. It has worked for me in 24 hours or even overnight.
ETA: After reading responses, the vinegar trick works too- forgot that...I haven't had yeast problems in a while, but used to have trouble all the time when I was younger...not sure what the difference is between now and then.

ajones
08-30-2008, 07:03 PM
imagine... new baby, sore everything, colicky days and nights (later learn baby can't handle dairy AT ALL) yeast infection is making for very sore baby feeders. start changing diet and taking Acidophilus formula - and get yeast rash, with tender skin around nipples and underarms. Excruciating!!!

I was desperate.
I found a homeopathic yeast infection remedy at a health food store in Columbia, MO while visiting family. can't remember what it was called, but it was like, $50, for a month's supply, taking one pill morning and night.
It worked great!

mom55
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I have done the cleanse for yeast with wholeapproach.com - I usually do this cleanse once per year. It has done the trick along with watching my intake of sugars and white flour.

zacharysma
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Walmart has TTO in the health/beauty section by the vitamins. Its usually in alphabetical order and on the bottom shelf.

aiyana4969
09-03-2008, 08:16 AM
the yogurt is part myth. You don't cure a yeast infection by eating it, but by using it as a yeast "cream". I was floored when the midwife told me that!