PDA

View Full Version : Store-Bought Dog Food

CherryPie
06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Is there a good organic brand of store-bought dog food or something else that is a great brand?

PBAki
06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I've never seen one at a regular store. Most dog food sold in those stores are really inferior quality dog food with corn and meat by products. We don't do organic but usually by products from Natura Pet like the Innova or the California Naturals.

Junipervt
06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
we feed our dog california natural chicken & rice. not sold at the big chains around here, but the independents all carry it

CherryPie
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I figured we would order online or see what our local EarthFare has (similar to Whole Foods) to make sure we got something of good quality. We don't even have a dog yet but we are heavily considering it :giggle:

mpfanny
06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Halo on amazon.

tallanvor
06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
We get Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul or whatever it's called. Not organic, so far as I know, but one of the highest rated dog foods on the market.

ariandsofiesmom
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I do not have dogs, but "Solid Gold" is awesome food...it is made for cats and dogs! Like a pp poster mentioned, you will have to go to an independently owned store (i.e. not PetSmart, etc).

seacat
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I am a freak about our dogs' nutrition. If you have a store like Whole Foods they have a good selection. Our Whole Foods even has raw which is what we fed before my son started walking and getting into their bowls. We now do a dried raw and they love it (Honest Kitchen or Additicion). If you can avoid the standard kibble your dogs will thank-you for it. I should say that we have goldens that are prone to being pudgy and this diet is the only thing that keeps them lean.

norsejenta
06-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Solid Gold is sold at Petco. Independent stores usually sell it for less. The Whole Dog Journal is a good resource for rating dog food and other dog issues.

Chris10
06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Another vote for Chicken Soup.

corrielainedd
06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I dont know about organic, and I dont think I would be able to afford it!:giggle:
I do make sure she gets meat based food. But being we cant afford to get the really good expensive stuff... We get the Sam's brand ( I forget the name:blush:) My dog lives at my inlaws, as we live in apartments and cant have a dog here, so she lives on the farm, and they have a Sams club membership, so get it for us. There are 2 flavors I think? Both, the first ingredient is the meat:thumbsup: I think its $20-$25 for a 50lb bag

BreakDanzer
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
We LOVE Natural Balance for both the dogs and cats. Organic and none of the normal allergens that is found in regular grocery store pet foods.

rachelmaria
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Both my dog and cat were on Natura EVO food and they loved it, but it's just been bought out by P&G, so we will no longer be purchasing it, as my $$ doesn't go to P&G for anything, anyreason.

We have switched over to Taste of the Wild, and both seem to LOVE it, and it's much cheaper than Natura was anyways. It is a grain-free diet and their meats are food-grade quality. Oh, and you're gonna have to go to a speciality store if you want food with any kind of good quality to it. :2cents:

GreysBumatomy
06-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I highly reccomend WYSONG. Great quality healthy dog food and a reasonable price. My pup loves it.

CherryPie
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the brands! So many to look into :giggle:

purna079
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
hmmm I thought I posted in this thread :headscratch: Anyways...We use Halo and love it. Also check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com

vjbakke
06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
We feed Canidae, get it at our local pet store.

shelby
06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
We opt for grain free where we can, orijen and acana but they have recently upped their prices.
Fromm is also a good brand. Most brands bought in Petco, Walmart, etc have fillers and are not decent quality.
The dog analysis link from pp will be helpful. Good luck!

jenmm
06-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Another vote for Taste of the Wild.

I'm feeding 7 greyhounds and one German Shepherd. I feed them the highest quality food that I possibly can without breaking my bank. Do look at dogfoodanalysis.com. It's a great site! I think TOTW is a 5 or 6 star food, and it's definitely the most affordable premium food.