PDA

View Full Version : Naked training-need advice

booth2490
06-28-2011, 08:53 AM
So we've been doing naked bottom time at home. I put a diaper on dd (23 months) for naps and bed and if we go out. We have a potty in the living room and she has a step stool in the bathroom for the toilet. She will sit on both, on her own and if I tell her (if she looks like she needs to go), but has never produced.

She has very few accidents and is starting to tell me "poop" or "pee pee" if she goes on the floor. Most days, she just holds everything until she's in a diaper. She also does not drink very much (milk or water, I even tried juice), so there's not many opportunities to practice using the potty.

Any advice or should I just keep going like this? I've been trying to follow the Rosemond "naked and $75" toilet training method which emphasizes that PT is all about personal responsibility and independence. She's not very independent about other things, though, either.

Qbit
06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't really know anything about the Rosemond "naked and $75" toilet training method. But from what I have heard, it seems to me that it's nothing something that would be suited for every child. They all have such different personalities. My DS has always been very attached and a bit of a cautious type. So he's not really big on independence. He likes me to help him with anything and everything until he feels 110% confident that he can do it on his own(and then he wants to do it ALL BY HIMSELF:giggle:). Going to the toilet is not something he's confident about doing alone yet though. So even though he's totally trained in the sense that he's completely done with diapers and always uses the toilet and tells me when he has to go, he needs my assistance whenever he uses the bathroom. And that's totally fine with me!:goodvibes:
Anyways, I don't really have much advice. Just one little thing I thought I'd mention. And that is, when she's on the potty have you asked her to push? When my DS was first starting out I would sit him on the potty and say, "OK, now can you do a little push?" and then I'd kind of grunt like I was pushing to show him what I meant. He caught on quick, and it worked well because if there was ever any urine in his bladder he would push some out by doing this. Even if it was the tiniest tinkle you can call it a success. It helps them understand that they are in control of urinating as well. All of a sudden it's like they realize, "hey, I did that! I made that happen!" Whereas before, when they were going in their diaper it was more involuntary. Once they start using those muscles they also start gaining more control. Well, that's all I've got. Good luck to you!

michiko
06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I've never heard of this, but this is what we have done with our youngest (mainly due to a rash) and within about 2-3 days she started asking to go to the potty BEFORE having the accident. We have kinda been on the fence on whether or not to fully push to have her completely out of diapers during the day with the new baby coming in Nov and being on vacation at the moment. But she has continued to do great while naked and has even started staying dry in her diaper while out and/or asking to be taken to the potty. I think we are going to just go with it and take the diapers away completely when we get home. My main concern is that she is still pretty tiny, only 21.5 months old, and so she has to be by us to have us help her on the toilet since we use a seat on top instead of a separate one and with 2 levels and an older brother & sister who play upstairs most of the day this has proven somewhat troublesome. :giggle: But we have done just being naked for our son and now her and it has worked great. Good luck.

RainandRedemption
06-28-2011, 09:59 PM
The fact that she's waiting until she's in a diaper to go makes me think that maybe she feels unaquanted with the potty. Maybe take her to the potty every hour for 5 minutes and read her a story while she's on the potty?
Also, I don't know anything about the method you are using but we potty trained my ds a similar way. Lots of naked bum time :) So when he peed on the floor, some of the times I would give him a cloth and we would clean it together. Sometimes I put soap on his rag. Not as a punishment type thing, and I didn't take that attitude with him. He enjoyed helping me clean and I think that helped him figure out WHY he needed to use the potty. But I guess if she's not have accidents that won't really help you...

booth2490
06-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the comments. I think it's just going to take some time. Yesterday she starting peeing on the floor and I caught her and said go sit on the potty, then she finished there. So, that's an improvement. When she has accidents (or spills anything) I have her help me clean it. Lately, she'll say pee or poop and I take her, but normally she won't do anything.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Qbit. I tried telling her to push while on the toilet, and she tooted, so she knows what I'm saying. She thinks it's pretty funny to hear me grunt and get her to do it, too.

Qbit
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think it's just going to take some time. Yesterday she starting peeing on the floor and I caught her and said go sit on the potty, then she finished there. So, that's an improvement. When she has accidents (or spills anything) I have her help me clean it. Lately, she'll say pee or poop and I take her, but normally she won't do anything.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Qbit. I tried telling her to push while on the toilet, and she tooted, so she knows what I'm saying. She thinks it's pretty funny to hear me grunt and get her to do it, too.

That's good too though! You know she's actually pushing then. I'd keep trying that if I were you. She's bound to push out more than just a toot one of these times.