PDA

View Full Version : baby showers...

smashncakes
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Is anybody (or yourself) throwing a shower/sprinkle/welcome baby party for you with this baby? What number baby is this for you? Do you know when you're having the party in comparison to your due date (12 weeks before, 6 weeks, after baby gets here)? Does it have a theme (share pics, ideas, food, etc if you are!!) ?? Are you doing a registry?

smashncakes
07-03-2011, 07:08 PM
MIL & one of the women from the ladies' group at our church are throwing us a "sprinkle", they wanted to do it specifically as a diaper party but we cloth diaper & most people around here don't shop online, so I'd get stacks of gerber prefolds and that's about it...so now its just a sprinkle/welcome baby party.

This is our third baby--one of my sisters is throwing a fit about how we shouldn't be getting a shower, but its gotten to the point where DH & I feel like it would be ruder to keep trying to talk them out of throwing it (and insisting that we don't need it, we spent a good few days trying to convince them its not necessary) because they're so excited about doing the party. Sister has been told that she doesn't have to come if she doesn't want to, and we respect her opinion, but we don't need her showing up just to make a scene. She thinks we asked for the shower (which we didn't) because we're greedy and just want presents--nevermind that we've already bought pretty much everything anyway--because we won't mention presents in any way on the invite, not even to say "gifts not necessary".

Shower is scheduled for approx. 4 weeks before my due date.

Not sure if we're having a theme...I'm being suprised on gender, so its hard to go with a lot of themes out there or certain colors. I think we're just kinda going with a fall seasonal type theme...we're using small potted mums and pumpkins as decorations, the flowers will probably be favors as well. Not sure about food, it'll cost us just about the same to do deli meat & cheese trays, veggie trays, and fruit trays as it would to just do a big simple meal...we haven't quite decided what we're going to do yet.

We have a very small registry, but its more for us to be able to keep track of those few things left that we need to get since I can't keep a list anywhere without losing or accidentally deleting it :giggle: MIL is using the registry to buy some of the small things we need for a baby shower game (I think the basket one where you fill it and pass it around, everyone has to try to remember what's in it?), but if anybody asks she's just telling them that gifts aren't necessary because we pretty much have everything, but if they really want to get something to just pick what they'd like.

Becky1551
07-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Is anybody (or yourself) throwing a shower/sprinkle/welcome baby party for you with this baby?
I don't know yet if anybody will. I haven't heard mention of it, and I'll be 25 weeks this week...I don't know at what point people start planning these things, either. I always thought it was supposed to be bad etiquette to throw your own (no judgement for anyone who is/does...I am not an etiquette person)? Is it considered bad etiquette? If nobody throws us one, do we throw our own? We thought of having a 'welcome baby'/Christmas party 6 weeks after the birth or so, but it's looking more and more like we're going to be moving out of the city, so that won't be possible...

What number baby is this for you?
This is our first, so I would assume someone would throw a shower, but DH and I are big introverts, and we don't have a lot of friends (big time quality over quantity people). My best friend lives in Scotland, and most of my other friends have recently moved out of town, or live in other parts of the world (from my pre-university years). BFF threw my bridal shower, but she's not on this side of the ocean for this event, lol.

Do you know when you're having the party in comparison to your due date (12 weeks before, 6 weeks, after baby gets here)?
I don't know, but I can't see it happening in three weeks, so I'm guessing it won't be 12 weeks before.

Does it have a theme (share pics, ideas, food, etc if you are!!) ??
I would love, love, love a Hungry Caterpillar theme. Totally GN, and super cute :)

Are you doing a registry?
I started one, just in case people asked what to get. Thought it would be easier to have a place to refer them to than listing things, KWIM?

ambersrose
07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I am telling people that I would rather not have a shower this time but I would love a little brunch celebration with my close girlfriends with no gifts or theme. This is my third girl and I have been handed down almost everything for the baby so we dont need anything really. My homeschooling girlfriends want to pool together and get me one big item I need (they often go in on cloth diapers for mamas but I dont need anymore). I am thinking of asking for a good breast pump since that is the only big item I do not have. Even a used one with new tubing would be awesome! I do have a registry for my mom to buy off of because she asked me to make one since she lives over 800 miles away.

Logans Mommy
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
This is baby #3, so I hadnt really planned on a shower, but a few people suggested we do something small. So we are going to go out to dinner somewhere, just the ladies about 4 weeks before I am due. We did this for a friend who had her 3rd girl last year and it was really nice. Me and my friends dont get out much b/c someones husband is always deployed, and getting babysitters can get expensive, so it will be fun. Probably just be a few close friends, maybe 5 or so, nothing crazy.

I registered at Babies R Us and Target, just b/c I got coupons for free gift cards in the mail if I did a registery. I also like the coupons you get after to finish your registry shopping so I will use those to get the few things I need. My friends know I use cloth, and actually most of them do too, so hopefully I'll get some cute diapering stuff :)

sweetpeamami83
07-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I am pregnant with #4 and due the day as my cousin its her 1st. We are both having girls. This is my first girl (we have three boys) so my grandma and aunt are really excited to do a double shower. I'm not expecting much but it will be fun to celebrate two babies on the way in the same month!

Angel89411
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I highly doubt it and I am okay with that. My last shower was very appreciated but a bit awkward. This is our second and I am 23 weeks.

Oh, and to the person who asked; baby showers seem to happen in the last month.

hbee
07-04-2011, 06:42 AM
My mom, grandma and mother in law are throwing me a baby shower. It's going to be two months before I'm due. My mom works at the school and I suspect that's why it's earlier. Okay by me though, then I'll know what I still need! There might be one at work, but I'm not sure, I don't work with many women... plus, when I say :pray: that I'm not coming back, they may not like it much. There might also be one at church.

I registered at amazon, they have an option where you can buy the stuff other places and I liked that. I really hate registering though and there isn't a big ticket item that I need any more... I might have to get a new crib, mine is drop side and older than 10 years. I just have to decide.

Incubus527
07-04-2011, 06:54 AM
I never got one with my son, and although I want one this time around I highly doubt I will get one. :(

nrsenadenos
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Is anybody (or yourself) throwing a shower/sprinkle/welcome baby party for you with this baby?

Not that I know of. There has been a mention or two at work (it will be the first baby that I've had while working there) but I don't know that anyone would actually be organized enough to pull one together.

This is my 5th. I've only had a shower with my first. Which makes me a little sad - not that we need the presents or anything, but I wish every baby could be/would be celebrated. Some days it feels like we are the only ones that are happy/excited. Plus I like cake.

Do you know when you're having the party in comparison to your due date (12 weeks before, 6 weeks, after baby gets here)?

Since I don't know when/if I'm having one, can't answer this. The showers with my first actually ended up being really early - I was about 26-28 weeks. My first was due in July, and the women hosting (I had two, one with coworkers and one with the women from church) had a lot of things going on at the end of May/early June with graduations, weddings, etc. So I had one in late April and one in early May.

If work throws me one I suspect it would just be cake for food, maybe or maybe not any games. With my first, the coworker shower they did a lot of finger foods and we had some games, but no real theme. The church shower was a brunch and we had quiche and fruit and muffins and such and we didn't play games, just socialized and opened the gifts.

I've put together a basic registry, not because I am expecting a shower but more to help me keep track of what I need to buy still. Especially with planning to move around 34 weeks it was the easiest way to keep track of the little things that we do need.

minneapolisite
07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
My shower situation is a little over the top. My sisters-in-law are throwing me a shower in Iowa, my aunts are throwing me a family shower in Minnesota, my friends are throwing me a friends shower in Minnesota, and my mom's friends are throwing a "meet-and-greet" in North Dakota after the baby arrives. (Not a traditional shower, but people tend to bring small gifts.)

This is our first. Also it's everyone's first grandchild, great-grandchild, niece/nephew, etc. We feel lucky to be the recipients of all that "Big Deal" attention. :blush:

One shower is 7 weeks before, two showers are 5 weeks before, and the meet-and-greet will be several months after.

No theme, as far as I know, but I'm not involved in the planning process at all. (Except my sisters-in-law enlisted my help putting together wuestions for a Baby Jeopardy game.)

My main registry is an Amazon registry, but I also duplicated a lot of it onto Babies R Us and Target registries. The Amazon registry is nice because you can add items from other websites and it's really easy for people to "reserve" an item and then go buy it elsewhere (my sisters-in-law already did that). I kept the list to the bare necessities (with a few luxuries!)

JessieIce
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I hope no one is throwing me a shower! My friends threw one for my first because we were so far away from family and it was very sweet and generous of them. But I am not much of a shower person, I did not have a bridal shower and I was surprised by my baby shower. Even though this one is a boy and our first is a girl I don't think we need much anyway. I have no problems putting my boy in a pink swing and we have received all the hand-me-down boy clothes we will need for at least the first six months. I will probably buy a few more diaper covers for him and be fine.

bpure8
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Out of 7 babies I've had 2 showers. I'm one that believes every baby should be celebrated.. not necessarily showered with gifts.. just celebrated and welcomes in the way the parents see fit.

kimmiepie
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, I haven't had a shower since the first baby. No one ever offered after that and I know my family thinks it's "weird" to have one for subsequent children. This baby being a boy, we pretty much have everything we need except for some essentials.

Our fellowship does throw showers for the moms though, no matter what # baby it is, so I'm hoping they will throw me one! It sure would be nice to get some things without actually having to buy them. :goodvibes: No theme, but I do love the owlie theme though.

minneapolisite
07-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I think the shower is more about celebrating a woman's passage into motherhood than it is about celebrating that specific baby in utero. It's not that subsequent babies are less special, it's that the woman already went through that "rite of passage." I find it unlikely that a baby in utero feels slighted if no one threw him a shower to celebrate his pending arrival. He's too busy sucking on his thumb and kicking my bladder. :giggle2:

sisu
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
When DS was about 8 weeks old we had a "meet the baby" shower. It was wonderful to get to show him off to everyone, and we got a lot of really meaningful gifts for him - since he was already a couple months old, people really got creative instead of just buying a couple of newborn-sized onesies. :giggle:

I don't really want or need a traditional shower this time either, but I have a couple of people that really want to do something for us, so we're toying with the idea of renting a kitchen and having a "stock the freezer" party, since most of our friends/family really enjoy food and cooking. I :wub: the idea of having a month's worth of food prepared when the new baby gets here. :mrgreen:

moonpuppyswifey
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
My BFF really wants to throw me a "sprinkle" just because I'm not big on the idea of a shower (would feel embarrassed because it's not my first, plus I feel like a cow and don't like the idea of all the attention on me), I'd prefer to just have a "meet the baby shower" after he's born (maybe when he's like 6 wks) and I don't want people necessarily to bring gifts, just want people to be able to meet him and to get together to have a good time and some good food. Not doing a registry.

I'm helping a little with my friend at work's baby shower, she'd due late August, her shower is on July 30th (she'll be about 37 weeks), I'm baking the cake for it. I think I'll make a cake shaped like a onesie decorated with a truck and camouflage (they're into hunting, etc). Was going to do a bear cake because they're doing bears for their nursery but she already had a shower with all her family and they had a bear cake :(

minneapolisite
07-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm baking the cake for it. I think I'll make a cake shaped like a onesie decorated with a truck and camouflage (they're into hunting, etc). Was going to do a bear cake because they're doing bears for their nursery but she already had a shower with all her family and they had a bear cake :(

LOVE the idea of a camouflage onesie!

Incubus527
07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought I wouldn't get a shower because I didn't get one with my son, but found out today Dbf's mom and sister want to throw me one! It'll be low key but hey, it's the thought that counts!! :wub:

Spunkify
07-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't believe in throwing showers of subsequent pregnancies unless the children are far apart. We'll do something like a Sip and See after he arrives to celebrate him and introduce him to the world, no presents.

z1ggy23
07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
not having one. Never have.

Havah
07-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Well ... I'm hoping someone will offer to throw even a small intimate shower ... or a welcome party for the baby. This is child #3 and DD #2, but we didn't have room to store anything (so I gave all my 0-9M clothing away to mamas in need and resold all the space hogs that weren't in use). So we're in need of clothing through 9M sizes, another high chair, another carseat, and an infant cradle or bouncer at least. Most of our friends and family members know how tight things are for us, but it's just a matter of "leaking" that we don't have anything for a newborn left from DD. If no one offers, I'm not going to ask - I know family will help us with real needs when we run out of funds. Just kind of rolling with it either way ... although I did establish two small registries just in case (one exclusively in-store items at Target; and one of items you can't find at local stores through Amazon.com).

mythik
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
This is our second and I just want to have a little potluck after the baby is born. I'm just not sure about the timing....a few weeks after the birth? A month? Two months? I want everyone to meet her and give a hug to her big brother :). I plan on making most of the big food items and only want people to bring some appetizer or vino for our little lunch open house.

Any suggestions on a date for a meet and greet?

smashncakes
07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

I personally wouldn't do before 4-6 weeks, both for kiddo and to just let myself, DH, and the kids kinda get into the groove of things & adjusted before planning something like that.

That was the hard part for us and why we ended up just agreeing to the whole shower thing...I'm due near the end of the month (although we all know that doesn't necessarily mean anything). We kinda looked at dates and since we both think the soonest we'd be comfortable with doing something would be around the 4-6 week age range...but that falls right in with Thanksgiving, then Christmas right after that...and right in the middle of a big flu/cold/generally everybody being sick season here. That's a lot of running around that we & everybody else is already doing to be adding in something like that, at least for our family, and I'm just not comfortable exposing our kiddo to all of those extra germs when they're *that* little if I don't have to...I mean, I know they'll get them eventually...but people in our family/church aren't really all that great about using common sense when it comes to being around little bitties and being sick, washing hands, all that stuff. They get all offended if you don't want them randomly touching/grabbing/kissing/taking your kid from you to hold them...and some are really great about washing hands first, but a lot of them don't even think about it either :yuck:

Incubus527
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I'd go with 3-4 weeks old. That way you'll have time to get bfing down before you have to do it in front of everyone. :D

Pendlemom
07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Not having a shower here either...

It's my second and this one is a girl. Kinda sad i moved away from down south where sprinkles seem to be a lot more common then up in New England. I mentioned the idea and it was squashed ... My mom was totally game for doing like a small afternoon tea. MIL said you don't do showers for a second one... I'd rather not seem like a present grubbing person so i'll just pick up the stuff we need myself. Kinda stinks because we are doing cloth for this one and didn't for DS. Also- she's going to have a lot of boy blankets/bibs!

Becky1551
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
This is our second and I just want to have a little potluck after the baby is born. I'm just not sure about the timing....a few weeks after the birth? A month? Two months? I want everyone to meet her and give a hug to her big brother :). I plan on making most of the big food items and only want people to bring some appetizer or vino for our little lunch open house.

If we don't get a shower, this is what we are planning on doing...and we may do it even if someone does throw us a shower. We'll probably do it 6 weeks after the baby is born (end of November) and have it as a meet/greet/holiday party/possible goodbye party (if we don't move before the baby is born, it is very, very likely that we will be moving after...right around Dec 1st). It sucks because it is right in the middle of cold/flu season here, too.

mythik
07-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks ladies, I'm due 10/6 so even if we host a small meet n greet it'll be mid-November which works for us. Our family lives out of state and will visit sporadically over that time anyway but this would be a very small and intimate event for our friends to stop by and hangout and meet our LOs.

AutumnRose
07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Two were thrown when I was preg with DS. Then my SILs (Bfs) threw one when I was preg with DD and I had a TON of neg things said to me about it! Hey its not like I threw myself a shower and sent out cards saying "GIVE US STUFF", the invitations didnt even have a registry on them! Course where I come from it is totally normal to have a shower for each child, celebrate the new life. Obviously that is not the way it is viewed in this particular area...
I told my friends that I didnt want any party as soon as I found out I was preg with #3. Course, now its turned into-just family and those who care. Which is fine, I like having an excuse to get together with my close friends and family!