PDA

View Full Version : help me get excited about bfing

leeuhhh
07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
ugh! i bf'd dd2 for two years . id just quit when i got pg and i was JUST getting my body back. honestly, i do not like bfing. i have no idea how i made it two years- i think i just would have felt too guilty if i quit. i'm having a really hard time getting mentally prepared for bfing again. a lot of this stems from serious body image issues that i just have not been able to work through. my boobs get HUGE while bfing. anyone else having a similar problem? any words of encouragement? i'm going to post this in the bfing area too, but i also wanted your input!

vittoriosmom
07-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I feel like if nothing else speaks to you then $$$$$$$ should! Imagine buying cases of formula every week and paying about $30 a week or more...

leeuhhh
07-26-2011, 07:16 PM
i know! honestly if we go with my home daycare plan there's no way i could afford it anyway, and there's no way im going on wic again. it was a nightmare when i ff'd dd1. the people at our local wic place made me feel like a major idiot ( i know some people have good wic experiences- ours was not).

kismetbaby
07-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm sure you know all the great reasons to BF. . .but I have some nice links if you want any. You've done an awesome job in the past, it seems that you are dealing more with the body issues (and that is perhaps a whole separate issue that needs dealing with?). For me BFing made me really proud of my body and glad that even if my boobies weren't the "ideal" that they could do the job they were meant to do and do it well!

I guess all I can say is hang in there! It's different every time, so you never know what this experience will be like, plus you know you are giving your child one of the most amazing gifts you can give them! There are so many practical reasons to BF. . .better immune systems, better IQ, not to mention saving $. . .but for me, I especially love all the bonding that come with it. Yeah, the first month is rough, when my boobs go haywire, but after that I love the time to relax with my baby and no possibility of propping the bottle and "getting something done". I think both mom and baby need that down-time.

Anyway, I'm pretty passionate about BFing. I hope that you get the encouragement you need and feel much more positive about it by Jan. Hey, at least you have 6 months left of having them to yourself again! I don't think I'll get a break at all.

eracheld
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Well I hate how big my boobs get when I'm nursing too; they were E's with DS and I just remember them ALWAYS touching and sweating. Gross. BUT I am far too lazy and cheap to FF, especially a newborn. I'm sure you will ease right back into the groove of things, but I think there are things we are all not to excited about. I just keep telling myself that when I'm done having kids I will get everything nipped, tucked, and better than ever. :giggle:

cutebluebaby
07-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I agree with Joanna about how much formula costs. Ick! I can't imagine trying to fit that into our already outrageous food budget, and we don't buy any junk or anything that is still around after a week! :hairpull: As far as your body image goes... I do agree with Lucinda as well. I think it's wonderful that our bodies are able to do something so wonderful.

I'm hoping this time around it won't be so horrible at first to get started because it'll be winter, and I won't be so darn hot and sweaty and sticky from the heat and humidity that it would be nice to cuddle with a newborn... not that it's not nice in the summer, but sweaty bodies... ick.

As far as chest size goes... I'm no help. I BF for as long as I can and take it gradually because it was less time that we would have had to buy formula. With Z it was 8 weeks and N self-weaned just before a year old... I was so happy to make that milestone! I have size A's normally, and when I BF they're a D! I don't BF exclusively for the size, but it's a nice perk for me. :bagoverhead: I also didn't think I'd hold onto weight until the week N weaned either. That was an adjustment. I lost over 18lbs (the rest of the baby weight and the 10lbs I was over before having him) after he weaned!

I guess what I'm trying to say is hang in there! You've done it before, and did a great job at it, and I have confidence you can do it again!! Just remember, it's a great start to their life, and it's such a short phase where they need you in only a way that you can provide. That in and of itself is a beautiful thing! :)

leeuhhh
07-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys. I know in the end I will end up bfing. I know there are too many benefits for me to get away with not doing it. I just hate that I'm finding myself so bummed about it. My boobs go up to a g cup- blegh. They've always gone back to normal size after pg and bfing, so I need to just keep telling myself that its temporary. There were times I loved bfing too, I think I'm just remembering the unpleasant older toddler phase that really bugged me. Lol.

solarbabies
07-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I honestly didn't mind bfing dd. She was 11.5 months old when she called it quits. I soon realized I was preggo with this one. So I think the milk changed or something. I am looking forward to nursing the next, but I want a break too. As soon as I stopped making milk, colostrum came in. So I have been producing something since I was 15 weeks preggo with dd until now. But I will bf this baby. I know the benefits of the milk are so good. I like the closeness. I like the idea of not buying formula and making bottles at 2am.

abbi_n_nadia
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Aww I love nursing my babies. :wub: it's such a beautiful and natural thing. It has it's negatives but the good outweighs the bad usually. It does seem to take its toll on our bodies but there are benefits there also like reduced risk of breast cancer. I think the study where it was shown that breastmilk kills cancer cells is just SO amazing! So powerful to think that we might have the ability to produce a cure for cancer right inside us and we have the option to give that amazing immunity to our babies! I don't know if it's ever been done before or not but I would love to see a study done on whether people who were breastfed have a reduced risk of cancer overall or not. Would be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mrspnut82
07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
I know how you feel, well except for the huge boob thing. I was nursing/pregnant for like 5.5 years straight. I weaned ds at 22 months. I finally had my body to myself for a few months when we decided to have another one. I definitely plan on nursing again this time for at least a year just not sure I want to do 2 years again though.
DS really drained me. He is a total mama's boy and was a difficult baby. I could not lay him down to sleep anywhere EVER. He would have to sleep being held day or night. Constantly nursed. So frustrating, I felt like a machine sometimes on autopilot. I finally moved him to his own crib at 11 months and loved the break. Continue to nurse him but loved when I finally decided to wean him. I felt like me again.
I love breastfeeding but if this baby is anything like ds was, I'm going to have to do some things different. Maybe night wean after a year? Idk but I won't go through that again lol.

momof3boys1girl
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
lol i am the same way. I dont dislike it though i just dislike my boobs get huge and i cant loose weight :blush: Also newbies nurse 24/7 its all i feel like i do. But its all worth it in the end so hang in there mama.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I also ebf and will bf this baby too as long as everything goes as planned, otherwise I might end up on formula, the cost of it though scares me.