PDA

View Full Version : Would you homeschool k twice?

Ellysmom06
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok so homeschooling is new to us. We live in a state where you have to be registered with an umbrella school...(?) so I went to do that and my DD misses the K cutoff by 9 days so dont have to legally report her til next year. I was all set to do K, had currics picked out ect, but am wondering if I should just wait since I would have to technically do it all again on record.

MyKzooFamily
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I would! :) Maybe this year just try it out, see how she does. You never know, she may end up needing extra help or more time with it, and having the extra year will be great. OR you could start K this year, and then do 1st next year if you wanted. There are many children that are grades ahead, and fast learners. We are starting pre-K at 3, and K at 4 if all goes well. My son would turn 5 at the very beginning of the school year, so I was planning on keeping him home an extra year so he could be older instead of the youngest.

If we homeschool, I'll just dive right in and do whatever works for us. If he completes Pre-K and K early, we'll just keep going.. even if we choose to have him to go school when he's ready. IMO I'd prefer to have all of my kids ahead of the game so I never have to worry about them falling behind or having trouble. :D

MyKzooFamily
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
On a side note.... DH's mom is homeschooling his younger siblings. I think all states SHOULD be doing reporting each year, and testing. She has gotten really, really lazy and her 16 and 18 year old are YEARS behind where they should be. :( So much for homeschooling so that they could be "ahead".

mama_to_DJM
07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
You could always just use that K level curriculum this year, and get 1st grade stuff next year (when she's officially in K). So legally she won't be in K until next year, but you're still teaching her this year. That's kind of what I did with my oldest- taught him informally while he was 4, and bought him 1st grade curriculum for K (since that's what level he was at).

lehcar_27
07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
On a side note.... DH's mom is homeschooling his younger siblings. I think all states SHOULD be doing reporting each year, and testing. She has gotten really, really lazy and her 16 and 18 year old are YEARS behind where they should be. :( So much for homeschooling so that they could be "ahead".

it is easy to judge when you are not homeschooling yourself....but not every parent homeschools so their children will be 'ahead'......some do it for social reasons, or bc the child has special needs....im also not saying every parent is doing a great job at homeschooling either :2cents:

Prettylocks
07-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Do kindergarten this year as planned. Next year she can do first grade under the umbrella school. Kindergarten is not a requirement (anywhere I have been).

MyKzooFamily
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
it is easy to judge when you are not homeschooling yourself....but not every parent homeschools so their children will be 'ahead'......some do it for social reasons, or bc the child has special needs....im also not saying every parent is doing a great job at homeschooling either :2cents:

I do agree. That is a long story in itself.. she had a mid-life crisis and decided she no longer wanted to take care of kids and does her own thing now (and leaves them to figure everything out themselves). I feel really bad for them, and wish there were rules she had to follow so the kids wouldn't suffer. I would imagine that doesn't happen too often.. but we (DH and I) can only do so much over the phone to help them. :)

MathGirl
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I would do what you planned this year. Follow her lead and if you end up covering all of the K curriculum this year, get the 1st grade stuff for next year. Good luck!

lehcar_27
07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
I do agree. That is a long story in itself.. she had a mid-life crisis and decided she no longer wanted to take care of kids and does her own thing now (and leaves them to figure everything out themselves). I feel really bad for them, and wish there were rules she had to follow so the kids wouldn't suffer. I would imagine that doesn't happen too often.. but we (DH and I) can only do so much over the phone to help them. :)

yeah....i have a very good friend whos DH lost his job....they then lost their home....they had been homeschooling since the beginning....the mom was forced to get a full time job....so last year she had to leave her two kids to 'fend' for themselves....but they are super mature 11th and 12th graders, plus they have lots of family help from grandma and grandpa....this year again she will be going back to work (in a school system) and her son will be again doing his own schooling for 12th grade while the other is away at college.....that is just what they had to do to make it work....and it is working for them just fine....to each their own....but i guess to someone on the outside it might look like 'neglect'