PDA

View Full Version : what to use for a baby that gets chafing on the thighs?

corinne76
08-06-2011, 01:18 PM
who also needs stay dry and breathable?

I'm using Nikky covers and RRP that I made some RRP using flannel and microfleece the inners. they keep him dry and hold in the efb poop. but he's getting chafing again on his thighs. it's red and dry and peeling. :(

I can't think of any other solutions so please help. I'm tired of destashing and starting all over.

iwiamandaiwi
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
subbing! I have the same issue

Kelseylynn81
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I have the same problem with my baby! And it was never a problem with my twins, maybe it is because this baby is so much fatter! I have found that a prefold (jelly rolled so that it is past the problem area) with a wool cover. Shorties work the best because they don't rub at all. I also put Grandma El's on the dry/red/scaly patches. Honestly, I'm constantly fighting it!

When it gets really bad I like to leave him on a big pad (made for kids that wet the bed) naked in the living room, and that helps too. Plus, he loves it!

corinne76
08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I"m sorry you mamas are having the same problem, but let me tell you, it makes me feel soooo much better knowing I'm not alone.
We had to do away with the pfs cause DS hated them and hated feeling wet. Moved to pockets but they chafed him bad and gave him heat rash. now we're on stash #3 and he's just 6 months. I'm tired.

Is there a powder or something I can put on him so it doesnt chafe?

and it's probably a chubby baby thing cause I have a 6 month old 20 lb chunk.

iwiamandaiwi
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I have the same problem with my baby! And it was never a problem with my twins, maybe it is because this baby is so much fatter! I have found that a prefold (jelly rolled so that it is past the problem area) with a wool cover. Shorties work the best because they don't rub at all. I also put Grandma El's on the dry/red/scaly patches. Honestly, I'm constantly fighting it!

When it gets really bad I like to leave him on a big pad (made for kids that wet the bed) naked in the living room, and that helps too. Plus, he loves it!

can you get grandma els at a regular store or do you ahve to buy it online? Is there anything else that you could buy at say target that would work?

corinne76
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
will the gold bond baby powder work for chafing on the thighs?

iwiamandaiwi
08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
will the gold bond baby powder work for chafing on the thighs?

I tried the burts bees powder and while it works well in his diaper area it doesn't do much to remedy the chafing on his legs

corinne76
08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
oh boo. I was hoping that would be the answer.

NotLad
08-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Is the chafing associated with the diaper? Would something like body glide work?

MyKinleyBug
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
I just dealt with this with DD, all of a sudden her fitted diapers with serging started chafing her thighs. I had some Lanolin around the house for her wool covers so I've just been putting that on and it has helped.

seacat
08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
My son gets this and the magic stick by GroVia really helps.

Kelseylynn81
08-07-2011, 11:58 AM
The magic stick didn't work as well for us as the Grandma El's. I have always wondered about the body glide stuff (wouldn't think it would be CD safe, but I have never tried it). I get Grandma El's from Amazon. If you don't have Amazon Mom membership, you should get it! I always get free 2 day shipping on it that way.

boysniris
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM
This happened to my DS for a while. I tried fleece wraps so that his leg wouldn't contact wet diaper outer, and I tried breathable fleece pockets. I tried powder on the thighs AND I bought some Body Glide anti-chafing stick. Turned out that what made the BIGGEST difference was applying Northern Essence Sensitive diaper salve to his thighs at every diaper change.

corinne76
08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
This happened to my DS for a while. I tried fleece wraps so that his leg wouldn't contact wet diaper outer, and I tried breathable fleece pockets. I tried powder on the thighs AND I bought some Body Glide anti-chafing stick. Turned out that what made the BIGGEST difference was applying Northern Essence Sensitive diaper salve to his thighs at every diaper change.

do you think CJ's will work in the same way as the salve? my DS seems to have many of the same issues yours did. The RRP and NIkky cover combo seems to have solved most of the issues except for the chafing. I've been snappi-ing the diaper too. DS is so wide that the infant snappi doesnt even get on his thighs where theres no insert

I've been pulling his chubby thighs out of the diaper to make sure the elastic is closer to his body, so more in between the leg chub and his croch if that makes sense. It seems to be ok for now, the chafing area isnt getting any worse.

Micheliala
08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Both of my ds's got chafing on the thighs and the only thing that worked for us was to use wool pullon covers. the binding on the covers was causing it, nikky did this bad with my youngest one.

boysniris
08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
do you think CJ's will work in the same way as the salve? my DS seems to have many of the same issues yours did. The RRP and NIkky cover combo seems to have solved most of the issues except for the chafing. I've been snappi-ing the diaper too. DS is so wide that the infant snappi doesnt even get on his thighs where theres no insert

I've been pulling his chubby thighs out of the diaper to make sure the elastic is closer to his body, so more in between the leg chub and his croch if that makes sense. It seems to be ok for now, the chafing area isnt getting any worse.

I do not know, I never tried CJs. Around 20 months he seemed to outgrow it completely. If you have CJs, try it and see. Give it 2-3 days of regular use to see if anything improves.

Oh, another things that ALWAYS showed immediate results was if I put some hydrocortisone ointment on his inner thighs before bedtime. The rash always looked better in the morning. So you might try that at night for a couple nights. Hydrocortisone is NOT recommended for long term use so even if it helps, try to find an alternative that is not a steroid cream.

eahcapemay
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
The gold bond baby is amazing for ds heat rash. It even works wonders on his neck rash from heat/drool. Right now I tentatively think we have fixed out chafing issue. We're going on 6ish weeks no issues. I *think* that what has fixed it is varying diapers and avoiding serging in his problem areas. I have 6 different styles of diapers and 3 different styles of covers. I never use the same type twice in a row so nothing rubs on the same spot for two long. GL