PDA

View Full Version : If your toddler can't drink milk, what do you give him.

mommypack
08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I am about at my wits end. I'm trying to wean my 1 year old(no flames, he is quite a biter, and I have scars to prove it). Everything we give him as a substitute for breast milk gives him a skin rash and diarrhea. Almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, sensitive formula, nutraminigen, alimentum, everything. We introduce it for a week(while I still breastfeed), then wait until everything is cleared up until introducing something new. My older son has the same problem, and just doesn't drink milk.

I've been doing a little online researching, and found an article that suggested in might be a corn intolerance? And that organic whole milk might work? Aren't all cows corn fed, even the ones at organic dairies? Any input would help.

My older son has been allergy tested, he does not have a soy or milk allergy.

wordmama
08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Try hemp milk. My DD (who has a ton of food allergies and intolerances) drinks it without any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lanwenyi
08-13-2011, 05:55 PM
My DS can't drink milk (HUGE eczema break-outs, diarrhea, and constant whining; I'm guessing GI upset) or almond milk (nut sensitivities) and won't drink soy, rice, or hemp milk. He drinks coconut milk and LOVES it. It's the only thing that doesn't make him break out or sick. He'll only drink the plain though. We buy the "So Delicious" brand.

OTOH, my sis grew up thinking that she was lactose intolerant, but it turns out that she reacts to the hormones in milk (or else the diet fed to the cows) b/c when she drinks organic milk she has no symptoms. You could try that and see if it solves the prob. It didn't for my DS (we only drink organic milk), so he ended up on coconut, but organic milk is the cheapest option, so I'd try that first.

ho11yb
08-13-2011, 06:06 PM
My DS refuses to drink milk & always has. Our ped says not to worry about it if he will eat yogurt, cheese, etc. Can your son tolerate other dairy products?

SylvieP
08-13-2011, 06:10 PM
alimentum is corn free if I remember correctly so if its a corn problem he shouldn't have it on that.

does he tolerate other dairy products like PP said? if yes I wouldn't be too concerned.

hilaryisinked
08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
We have tried every milk out there and DD will only drink chocolate flavored stuff which isn't something we can give her every day so we make sure she has other calcium rich foods to make up for it. She gags on most milks and will spit any other kind out. We just cannot get her to drink it. We weaned her at 15 months but she has done this since she was 12 months.

mommypack
08-13-2011, 06:30 PM
My DS refuses to drink milk & always has. Our ped says not to worry about it if he will eat yogurt, cheese, etc. Can your son tolerate other dairy products?

Yogurt and cheese also give him diarrhea. Any baby food that has milk products in it give him diarrhea.:yuck:

I will look into the hemp, organic milk, and coconut.

mommypack
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Also, my Alimentum lists "Corn Maltodextrin" and the first ingredient(35.5%). Is there another brand other than similac?

SylvieP
08-13-2011, 06:36 PM
no mine was by Similac.... odd since it said lactose and corn free

maybe the canadian and american versions are different? I know we don't have powdered Alimentum in Canada only RTF maybe thats the difference.... IDK

Beth.
08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
RTF Ali is corn free.

But, it's likely the dairy, not the corn he's reacting to. My daughter has severe dairy/soy allergies -- bloody stools, massive eczema, burn-like breakouts covering her whole body -- but tests negative to all allergy tests. Non IgE mediated allergies don't show on allergy tests. Reactions trump results in the allergy world. If you want to go the formula route, Elecare or Neocate are where I would go next.

My kiddo is one of the few that has a gut/skin reaction with her allergies. Lots of docs try to pass it off as "just an intolerance" or "not real allergies", but her immune system is reacting to the allergens, which makes it real allergies. Sounds like your kiddo maybe has something similar. Good news is that most kids outgrow dairy allergies.

Good luck!

mommypack
08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
RTF Ali is corn free.

But, it's likely the dairy, not the corn he's reacting to. My daughter has severe dairy/soy allergies -- bloody stools, massive eczema, burn-like breakouts covering her whole body -- but tests negative to all allergy tests. Non IgE mediated allergies don't show on allergy tests. Reactions trump results in the allergy world. If you want to go the formula route, Elecare or Neocate are where I would go next.

My kiddo is one of the few that has a gut/skin reaction with her allergies. Lots of docs try to pass it off as "just an intolerance" or "not real allergies", but her immune system is reacting to the allergens, which makes it real allergies. Sounds like your kiddo maybe has something similar. Good news is that most kids outgrow dairy allergies.

Good luck!

This sounds just like what we've gone through with my 3 year old. Terrible eczema and diarrhea, yet the allergist said it wasn't the milk, even though he would have terrible flare-ups anytime he had milk. He doesn't eat dairy now and still has the same issues though. We might just have to try an elimination diet with both of them.

Treasures From Elf
08-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd give him calcium supplements and be done with it :hide:

moteq
08-13-2011, 07:04 PM
We also deal with milk protein allergies (bile in vomit, bloody stools) and give DS Elecare. He just turned 1 and can now have the vanilla version.

DalesWidda
08-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Well if biting is the only issue, can you pump? That would seem to be the easiest solution.

Kennoahy
08-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I would just not give milk for a while. Just supplement with calicum rich foods.

Sent from my Evo Shift using DS Forum

pcjs
08-13-2011, 09:04 PM
We are doing Walmart toddler formula (only one he will drink) and Gerber Sips (not as good as toddler formula but less gassy for at night). My son couldn't drink whole milk with his reflux but he's just hitting two so we are slowly giving him 2% one-two times a day (5 oz each time). 2% seems better but you don't want to do it before two as there is not enough fat and other stuff for growth/brain development (or for us calories). He absolutely refused to drink it for me (he would every once in a while for dad) and I didn't care but if I forget it, its nice to have alternatives beyond water so I gave it to him one day and he just drank it (which shocked me).

Mommy2Be08
08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
We do coconut milk and the boys love it!

sesa70
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
my dd is still an infant, but has a milk/soy protein allergy. If she has formula with either in it, within a day or so she is incredibly irritable and crying ALL THE TIME with mucosy stools.

We tried both alimentum and nutramigen for her and had the same results. So far all she can tolerate is neocate, which admittedly costs an arm and a leg. But I know they also have a toddler version that might be worth looking into.

mama23boyz
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I recently started buying flax milk at Walmart. It's reasonably priced at 3 something a half gallon.

AcrossTheUniverse
08-14-2011, 12:21 AM

My DD2 and DS1 are the same way. They just eat lots of yogurt and cheese and the pedi says not to worry. Neither one of them have drank any milk at all once they weaned.

My DS2 is 13 months old at the moment and I've introduced 2% milk to him this week because I knew whole milk would just do him in (DS1 also got diarrhea and rashes when I tried to get him to drink milk around a year old). Even the 2% is causing a major diaper rash, so I'm thinking about just forgoing milk altogether since my other kids aren't big fans anyway.

If you do want to offer him something, you can try rice milk. My DD1 lived on that stuff after she weaned because she loved milk but couldn't handle cow's milk.

keowilliams
08-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Well, the major benefits of dairy is the wonderful combo of fat, protein and calcium (and Vit. D in enriched milks). Your best bet might be to tackle those nutrients individually and attain them through other food sources. Fat & protein are easy enough. Calcium and Vit. D can be supplemented through vitamins though I don't know how many child-friendly supplements are out there. There are calcium-enriched foods. I know there's a chicken nugget brand (Fast Fixin) and a brand of whole grain tortillas that are calcium-enriched. Those are the only two that I am aware of off-hand.

,Kate
SAHM to Alexander (almost 3) and expecting #2 in Sept.

Boheme
08-14-2011, 07:37 AM
My kids have been vegan since birth, but I did bf each of them for 3+ years so I didn't have to worry about finding an acceptable substitute at that age. In fact, if my child had serious allergy issues before they were ready to give up milk completely, I would pump or bf, even if it was uncomfortable/painful for me. No question about it.

However, that being said, if I were completely unable to bf/pump through that time, I would look into raw goat milk. Babies that age DO need milk, ABSOLUTELY. I would NOT give up milk; milk isn't needed for older children or adults who are able to assimilate all of their nutrition from solid foods, but babies do need it. It's not just about whether a child can physically eat the right foods, it's about being able to digest it, break it down and use it. Calcium is only a very small part of the nutrition in real, raw milk (human or otherwise).

I don't think any milk substitutes (soy, coconut, hemp, almond, etc) can hold a candle to real milk, nutritionally. Believe me, I've looked into all of them, tried them all, made my own, etc. Nothing is as good/balanced, if you're looking for NUTRITION. I would never depend on soy/coconut/almond milk for actual nutrition, although I'd give it to a child to eat with a peanut butter sandwich or something.

If a child that young can't have human milk, then raw goat milk is probably the closest you could easily obtain. Except maybe superfoods like spirulina, or green smoothies. :)

luminajd
08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think any milk substitutes (soy, coconut, hemp, almond, etc) can hold a candle to real milk, nutritionally. Believe me, I've looked into all of them, tried them all, made my own, etc. Nothing is as good/balanced, if you're looking for NUTRITION. I would never depend on soy/coconut/almond milk for actual nutrition, although I'd give it to a child to eat with a peanut butter sandwich or something.

If a child that young can't have human milk, then raw goat milk is probably the closest you could easily obtain. Except maybe superfoods like spirulina, or green smoothies.
This.