PDA

View Full Version : Do you like this name?

CarolinaMama
08-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Teague Cohen... our last name is a VERY hard to pronounce Ukrainian name that ends is "ski"

Do you think he is going to have to spell his frist name out for everyone? Is there a cute nickname from this I can call him as a little guy? I really like the name polls since everyone can be honest if they like it or not and not feel they are being mean. This is the first name DH and I have agreed on and I only have 4 WEEKS left!

Thanks!

LeslieT
08-18-2011, 07:45 AM
The vast majority of people will not be able to spell or pronounce Teague (I assume it rhymes with league?) the first time, and the majority of those you explain it to will not get it right the second time, or ever again, either.
If your last name were Smith, I'd vote yes, but with your description, I voted no.

Squig'sMumMum
08-18-2011, 07:45 AM
I like it, but is sounds very Gaelic to me, not sure how it would mesh with the Ukrainian...

Bottom line is: Do you and DH like it? If so, who cares! I don't think he'll need to spell it out any more than the rest of the kids (especially those with 'popular' names with 5,784,427 spelling variations).

CuriousElephant
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM
As someone with a complex last name (;)), I don't think the first name will be a big deal. :)

staceyroo77
08-18-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't personally care much for Teague, but I like Cohen. If you like it then go for it! I don't know if you are much into the meaning and origins of names, but Teague is Gaelic for Desendant of Tadhg. Cohen is Hebrew, meaning priest.

Nerissa
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
The vast majority of people will not be able to spell or pronounce Teague (I assume it rhymes with league?) the first time, and the majority of those you explain it to will not get it right the second time, or ever again, either.
If your last name were Smith, I'd vote yes, but with your description, I voted no.

This-

We have a very hard to pronouce and spell last name. No one ever spells or says it correctly and I hate having to spell it out every single time. So we made sure our kiddos had easy to say spell first names.

That being said if you and your DH like the name it is ulitmatly you decission

Lanasmom
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm a Carolina mama (SC) with a SIL who is Ukrainian, and I love Teague. I also think that most people will pronounce it correcty. If you wanted a nickname, what about T.C.? I also love Cohen. Great name mama!

tygr2410
08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
If you like the nickname Teagueski....b/c that may be what he's called by others

Do not like the abreviation TC with ski....b/c you know how a lot of people sub ski for the full last name when it's complicated

USMCgirl_05
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I say use Cohen as the first name ;)

Lanasmom
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
If you like the nickname Teagueski....b/c that may be what he's called by others

Do not like the abreviation TC with ski....b/c you know how a lot of people sub ski for the full last name when it's complicated

Good point Tina...didn't think of that! LOL

CarolinaMama
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I am not a big fan of intital nicknames but I think Teagueski is cute:)

I just got up from a nap where I dreamed everyone HATED the name, so 50/50 is good:)

Elbyc
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm all for unusual names but this one doesn't gel with me. Maybe I'm jaded since all week I've had to walk around with cups from starbucks with my name crossed out and rewritten. They never get it right on the first try.

hilaryisinked
08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I love it. And if people ask him how to spell it he can just say league with a T. I think having to spell names for people happens to almost everyone unless their name is something easy like Tim Brown. I have to explain that my name has one L in it all the time and we have to spell our last name, Buckson, out for people because they want to use an X. People always want to spell DD's name as Audrey instead of Aubrey.

sisu
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I like it. :) There are so many different spellings of even common names nowadays that I wouldn't even worry about that part, every kid is going to have to spell their name for people. I actually think Teagueski is adorable, too.

JeDeeLenae
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I knew a Teague in high school. There was never a problem with anyone mispronouncing it, even teachers. I don't find it unusual at all. And I like Teagueski as a nickname. What letter does your last name start with? Could that be part of a nickname? TJ, TK, etc.

llamabeans
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
For me, the popularity of the name Teagen makes me think Teague is a shorter version of this, or it is a nick-name. I like 1 syllable names for boys....but I don't like this one. It just seems like it's missing something?

Cohen is nice though.

Sally's Red Meadow
08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I think as long as you and your DH like it, it is a great name. After all you the parents are going to have to use the name a lot more than your friends or even your family would.

kismetbaby
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I like it. And we have a long and difficult last name too and my ds has an unusual (although fairly short) first name. I usually have to spell out both, but it's not that big of a deal. We did agree that all of our kids would have first names of no more than 2 syllables, just b/c our last name is so long.

I think calling him just "T" for short would be cute.

CarolinaMama
08-18-2011, 04:55 PM
our last name starts with M

JeDeeLenae
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
our last name starts with M

Okay, TM just doesn't sounds as great as TJ. :)

JennTheMomma
08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Honestly, no

cjslater1
08-18-2011, 09:24 PM
My little Cousin in Tegan, and I think people did n't know how to spell it at first but we all do now. I think Teague is cute though. But I actually like Cohen Teague better :)