PDA

View Full Version : Earrings for super-sensitive pierced ears???

dolphingirl
08-20-2011, 10:36 PM
My ears have been sensitive ever since I got them pierced close to 25 years ago as a kid, but for the past 3 years or so, I can't find any earrings that I don't react to. I've tried nickel-free ones and those don't work. About 6 years ago DH got me a pair of diamond earrings (super tiny diamonds, but still, I loved them!) I was able to wear them for a couple years and now even those don't work. I start reacting within 5 minutes of putting them in. Maybe they were just gold-coated and not solid gold even though I can't see any silver popping through.

So my brother is getting married next month and I'd love to wear earrings since I plan on wearing a fairly formal dress and possibly put my hair up. I hate to just have those holes showing and don't want to resort to clip-ons.

Anyone else in this situation who finally found a kind that works??? I know that if I splurge on some nice solid gold ones it might work but am afraid of spending the money and then I react to them.
Thanks!
Kristin

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I have to wear real gold or I have bad reactions too. Even nickel free make my ears red and hot and swell up. I recommend going to a real jewelry store and pick out some 24 kt gold earrings or platinum if you can..lol

tallanvor
08-21-2011, 12:50 AM
They used to make little sleeves that you could put over the posts of earrings. My sister used to have to wear them, but that was when she was a girl, so 20+ years ago. I'm not sure if they still make them.

I know my oma can only wear gold.

geez0pete
08-21-2011, 12:53 AM
My dd can only wear real gold or she gets infections. This is a recent development since she'd been able to wear anything for about 3 1/2 years (since she first got them pierced).

ExpatMama1990
08-21-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm allergic to gold... I can only wear sterling silver/white gold (weird huh...)!!

Aleta
08-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I can do gold or platinum - never tried the titanium that comes in body piercings but people tell me I should be able to handle that as well. I just don't wear earrings. My DD has the same sensitivity that I have - I have to buy her real gold or the ones they pierce with at claire's or even walmart - just ask to buy the piercing earrings but you don't want a piercing, just the earrings. I know walmart has a bigger selection and as cheap as $10. Because they are the ones used to pierce I want to say they are gold or titanium so as not to cause a reaction.

Is there a way you can borrow a pair of 24k gold to try out a day before you splurge?

3rockstars
08-21-2011, 06:46 AM
I get reactions to a lot of earrings too, as does my oldest daughter. If she wears cheapo earrings her whole lobe gets infected and raw and oozes and bleeds. And it literally takes 3 weeks to heal. We are just getting over the last bout now. So I threw out every single pair of her earrings and now she and I wear only stainless steel captive bead rings like this:
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=192&cat=28&page=1

I wear a 14g with a black stone. My daughter is currently wearing a 20g plain silver. I told her once she's completely healed she can have something a little more fancy with a pretty stone or a different shape.

tpb2930
08-21-2011, 06:57 AM
I do sterling silver or white gold. Same for my DD :0)

mom2LBJ
08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I can only wear sterling silver or gold in my ears. My earrings are all various sizes of diamond studs in gold(white or yellow is fine)/platinum or silver from James Avery.

3rockstars
08-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I can only wear sterling silver or gold in my ears. My earrings are all various sizes of diamond studs in gold(white or yellow is fine)/platinum or silver from James Avery.

yes but I don't think that's affordable for a lot of folks, myself included(not that I can wear silver or gold anyway). I am shocked to see that places like walmart have little gold earrings in 24k gold for less than $20, which might make it affordable for most people. Even if you only have one pair, that's better than nothing. I want to say to the OP though that stainless steel is used for most implants in the body because it's the least reaction-prone metal(other than like titanium) and it can be very very cheap. Even little kiosks in the mall sell stainless steel body jewelry. A safe gauge would be 16 or 18. And you can use any style that's comfortable and aesthetically pleasing to you. That might be a cheaper thing to try first as opposed to 24k gold. Most pieces of body jewelry from a reputable website that are simple stainless steel are less than $5-10 per piece. My own earrings are 1/2inch 14g captive bead rings, very very simple with a black stone in the ball, and cost $3.99 each. That's all I wear, i never change them out. And I've had NO problems with them whatsoever in the 2 years I've had them. And I've had a 20g stainless steel cbr in my eyebrow for 12years without a single infection along with various other piercings.

mommy2kaitlyn
08-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Try different types of metal. Some people can only wear white gold vs yellow gold. Some platinum vs any gold. Some are fine with sterling silver and not fine with gold.

mom2LBJ
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
yes but I don't think that's affordable for a lot of folks, myself included(not that I can wear silver or gold anyway).

She even stated that the cheaper golds wont work :headscratch: Its not like I posted Tiffany & Co was the only way to go :roflmbo: Whats a splurge -James Avery at that- on a pair of simple earrings if you can wear them every single day? I'd rather have a nice pair of earrings than a million pairs of cheap ones that do nothing but irritate my ears and go unused. She asked, even in splurging, what works for others with sensitive ears. James Avery is what works for my every day earrings for my sensitive ears :thumbsup:

CherryPie
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I can only wear solid gold and I am about to give sterling silver a try to match some of my fine sterling jewelry. If sterling won't work, I am going to have just the studs coated with gold.

I have heard using clear nail polish on the studs can help (you have to re-do it every few wears) as well as putting some neosporin on the stud each use but I personally have not tried either of those yet.

QVC has cheap prices on real gold jewelry and they have an awesome return policy.

P!nkPepper
08-21-2011, 09:37 AM
My ears don't bleed but they swell something awful & stink to high heaven if I don't wear 24K gold or sterling silver & never over night. I used to wear cheap junk from Claires as a middle schooler but by highschool I couldn't anymore. My sister is allergic to gold. Can't wear it anywhere on her body. We are an odd family.

JAG's baby mama
08-21-2011, 09:57 AM
My ears have been sensitive ever since I got them pierced close to 25 years ago as a kid, but for the past 3 years or so, I can't find any earrings that I don't react to. I've tried nickel-free ones and those don't work. About 6 years ago DH got me a pair of diamond earrings (super tiny diamonds, but still, I loved them!) I was able to wear them for a couple years and now even those don't work. I start reacting within 5 minutes of putting them in. Maybe they were just gold-coated and not solid gold even though I can't see any silver popping through.

So my brother is getting married next month and I'd love to wear earrings since I plan on wearing a fairly formal dress and possibly put my hair up. I hate to just have those holes showing and don't want to resort to clip-ons.

Anyone else in this situation who finally found a kind that works??? I know that if I splurge on some nice solid gold ones it might work but am afraid of spending the money and then I react to them.
Thanks!
Kristin

I started having this problem (thinking I was getting allergic to every kind of metal). I switched to dangle earrings or any earring without a back.

I think my problem was that the back to most earrings cuts off oxygen circulation into the pierce hole and it slowly gets infected more and more often.

Now that I wear dangle earrings, I can wear studs of any kind whenever I want. I just can't wear them daily for weeks on end anymore.

Leiiki
08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I have sterling silver hoops that I can spin completely through the holes - it keeps them clean and has helped immensely with the sensitivity. You can also use a little rubbing alcohol on them once a month, spin, then lanolin and spin again.

homebirthmom
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
cool thread. I'm in the same boat. would LOVE to wear earrings again. its been about a decade :( they well and are hot within 2 minutes. really itchy. sucks

homebirthmom
08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
so do you insist on trying them on before buying to see if you are allergic?

33andunder
08-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I react as well. I do react to gold, but not as badly. I haven't bothered with earrings in years, but when I did, I had a pair of gold hoops that seemed to be okay. I would be interested to know if titanium etc. works (heck, what would you do if you needed pins put in your leg etc.?).

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else get a black or green residue on their skin from wearing silver, gold or metals? I get this with silver and gold, particularily when I am stressed out. I get black rings under my wedding bands.

Rainfall
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Stainless steel! I also wear nothing but stainless steel captive bead rings and have never ever had a problem with them.

Janine
08-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Most people handle titanium just fine. It is rare for someone to react to it. Titanium is common in body piercing jewelry, although if you are hoping for titanium earrings more fitting to a formal occassion, you would probably have to shop for them online. But well worth it I think.

eapoosmama
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
having children can change our sensitivity to things.

silver would be my suggestion.

Ellasundies
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
When I was a kid (5th grade) and first got my ears pierced I had a horrible time. I did okay with the piercing studs they gave me but when I was finally able to pick and choose earrings I got horrible horrible horrible infections. It was months before we finally figured out that I needed to wear only stainless steel or gold and that dangle earrings work 1,000 times better. I can wear cheapy earrings now for short periods of time but I ALWAYS have to coat them first with neosporin. I even have to do that at times when I'm wearing gold studs.

Interestingly enough (something you guys with metal sensitivities may want to think about) I discovered a few years ago that I'm also allergic to thiermosol (mercury) when I had a scratched cornea and had to use lots of eye ointment. It simply WOULD NOT heal until I ditched the thiermosol containing ointments. I'm also a high school science teacher I can't even think of touching the metallic salts we use for experiments with bare skin.

Fairycat
08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Titanium, Stainless Surgical Steel (found commonly in good body jewelry) and Platnium are all really good bets for those with allergies. I have seen a few people have issues with stainless. But Titanium and Platnium are considered "pure" metals and don't seem to have the issues other metals do.

A good jeweler could probably reset your diamond earrings for under $40 to platnium, you can find some nice earrings at a jeweler with just platnium posts or have then set the posts to platnium for not too much money. And titanium is readily available in body piercing sites, just avoid any pieces with plated colors, the heat or chemically treated should be fine though for colors since it changes the metals color, not adding anything. Good luck!

txmap
08-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm so glad OP started this thread! I haven't been able to wear earrings for almost 15 years, and I really miss it. Even surgical steel and 14k gold will have my whole earlobes inflamed and sore in about 30 seconds.

I never thought of trying titanium or even platinum. (I thought if surgical steel didn't work, nothing would). Ooh, now I have to save up some PP and do a little shopping. :D

aaiya
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
DH said the ones he got made for me are rhodium-based white gold.

Fairycat
08-21-2011, 07:32 PM
DH said the ones he got made for me are rhodium-based white gold.

I was going to type up a long thing about white gold but it is easier to quote this page

White gold is an alloy of gold and some white metals such as silver and palladium. White gold can be 18kt, 14kt, 9kt or any karat. For example, 18kt yellow gold is made by mixing 75% gold (750 parts per thousand) with 25% (250 parts per thousand) other metals such as copper and zinc. 18kt white gold is made by mixing 75% gold with 25% other metals such as silver and palladium. So the amount of gold is the same but the alloy is different.

Traditionally nickel was used in white gold, however, nickel is no longer used in most white gold made today as nickel can cause reactions with some people. We do not use nickel in our white gold

When white gold rings are new they are coated with another white metal called Rhodium. Rhodium is a metal very similar to platinum and Rhodium shares many of the properties of platinum including its white color.

The rhodium plating is used to make the white gold look more white. The natural color of white gold is actually a light grey color. The Rhodium is very white and very hard, but it does wear away eventually. To keep a white gold ring looking its best it should be re-rhodium plated approximately each 12 to 18 months. Most local jewelers are able to rhodium plate jewelry for a cost effective price.

http://gilletts.com.au/information.php?info_id=13

I am unsure how often nickel is still used in some white gold jewelry but it is why some have reactions to some white gold, but not others. Also sometimes it is the silver that is the issue. BTW all gold is yellow, but gold is super soft, so other metals are added for color or strength, this is why some gold might both you and other gold won't again it is often for the other metals not the actual gold, 24kt yellow is often seen as the best for this reason, though, some are allergic to gold itself.

Roo'sMama
08-21-2011, 07:39 PM
This probably sounds weird, but I used to have more of a reaction and it worked. I used clear nail polish and coated the stud part a few times and had no reaction. The part that I put in my ear isn't metal touching me anymore...it's the polish which I didn't have a reaction to. Other than that I used only gold.

Strangely enough, I don't have to put the polish on them anymore. I only wear dangly earrings now though.

Melaine
08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I can't wear gold or white gold or sterling silver, but have yet to try titanium or platinum. I can't even wear my wedding ring anymore, it developed when I was pregnant and hasn't gone away. Finding jewelry I could wear would really change my life but I have just given up at this point. The doctor said nickel allergy but I can't wear nickel free. I am starting to suspect it is contact dermatitis rather than an actual allergy because I have even had reactions from plastic rings.

I have heard good things about this site: http://www.simplywhispers.com/

allisonrose
08-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I have heard good things about this site: http://www.simplywhispers.com/

I have gotten several pairs of earrings from that website (pre-kids). I think one pair I wasn't impressed with but the three or four others I've bought, I have loved! In fact, I should plan to order again because all my earrings have gone MIA due to several moves.

Vivhop98
08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I have tried silver, 24k gold, nickel free. I can't wear any or I break out and swell within 5 min. too. :(

Vivhop98
08-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I react as well. I do react to gold, but not as badly. I haven't bothered with earrings in years, but when I did, I had a pair of gold hoops that seemed to be okay. I would be interested to know if titanium etc. works (heck, what would you do if you needed pins put in your leg etc.?).

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else get a black or green residue on their skin from wearing silver, gold or metals? I get this with silver and gold, particularily when I am stressed out. I get black rings under my wedding bands.

I have only had this happen with really cheap fake gold/silver. It has never happened with real gold.:headscratch:

JAG's baby mama
08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Strangely enough, I don't have to put the polish on them anymore. I only wear dangly earrings now though.

As I mentioned earlier...most people have issues with the loss of oxygen in the piercing hole. THAT is what causes the infection (plus the collections of sweat, skin cells, dirt, etc). It has very little to do with the metal used. Trust me. If you are getting a reaction to surgical steel or titanium, it is NOT the metal that is the problem.

I used to think this too until I used only dangle earrings and now I can use any kind of metal. As long as it dangles, it is all good. :thumbsup:

dolphingirl
08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Wow! Thanks ladies!! Lots of interesting reading and all sorts of different suggestions to try. Obviously, I'm not alone in this! I'll have to read through all the posts more carefully tomorrow when I have more time and figure out what I'll try first.
I knew I'd get some great suggestions on DS!
Kristin

Melaine
08-22-2011, 06:27 AM
As I mentioned earlier...most people have issues with the loss of oxygen in the piercing hole. THAT is what causes the infection (plus the collections of sweat, skin cells, dirt, etc). It has very little to do with the metal used. Trust me. If you are getting a reaction to surgical steel or titanium, it is NOT the metal that is the problem.

I used to think this too until I used only dangle earrings and now I can use any kind of metal. As long as it dangles, it is all good. :thumbsup:

Interesting, but dangle hasn't worked for me in the past either.

33andunder
08-22-2011, 10:47 AM

I have only had this happen with really cheap fake gold/silver. It has never happened with real gold.:headscratch:

We are talking 14K gold wedding bands. While they are not 24K, I wouldn't consider them cheap or fake.

Sorry for the mini highjack

twirl
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't have problems with platinum, titanium, or surgical stainless steel.

CherryPie
08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I put the dangly theory to the test today. I'm wearing some sort of WAHM earrings, unknown metal (looks silver-y, but not sterling I'm sure) and so far so good. My ears are very, very slightly itchy but I think it is b/c I am wearing earring for the first time in years. This weekend I ordered some new gold (which is always OK) and some sterling silver to try.

ambieone
08-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm allergic to gold... I can only wear sterling silver/white gold (weird huh...)!!

Me too!! My dd is having problems with hers but I am scared to try gold in her ears because I know how sore mine used to get and I don't want to put her through that.

themaelane
08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Try Whispers http://www.simplywhispers.com/

Great variety, I loved them as a kid. My mom had big problems until she found them!

dolphingirl
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Finally got to check out the Simply Whispers website that many of you recommended. I think that may be my answer since the styles look beautiful, the price is right, and there's a guarantee. So happy that this hopefully is the answer to my problem based on the testimonials I've read on the site.
Kristin

Fairycat
08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Vivhop98;13604081]

We are talking 14K gold wedding bands. While they are not 24K, I wouldn't consider them cheap or fake.

Sorry for the mini highjack

get them cleaned professionally, sometimes build up of chemicals and things on the rings can cause this. I have one bracelet I only have issues with when I wear certain sunscreens, never any other time. So I say get them steam cleaned you probably will have less issues.

MamaHare
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
stainless steel maybe?
i have sensitive ears, though not as bad as some pp's. I generally don't wear earrings, and then when I do (to go out kid-free) they are itchy and I can't wait to take them off when I get back home.