PDA

View Full Version : Solids?

EmnJJsMom
06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I planned on starting cereal at 5 months old...but now that it's coming up I'm not so eager. I know she doesn't "need" them now, but everyone is trying to convince me to start them because she's such a fussy baby and has bad reflux yet...I just don't see how cereal would help any of that. I might try it for a day or two...but I'm unsure about it. Her ped told me a month ago that I should start to help her with the reflux. Blah, I just dont know what I'm going to do on that one.

bfoster2000
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I think you have to go with your gut and do what feels right. A lot of experts recommend waiting till 6 months or later to even start solids. Every baby is different though and you know your baby.

I will tell you that the logic behind giving cereal to help with reflux is that it is thicker and "heavier" so theoretically it should stay down easier. I've heard of peds recommending adding cereal to a formula bottle to help with extreme cases of reflux (although that is generally "against the rules").

We didn't start cereal for that reason, and it could have been coincidental because of the age, but DJ's reflux did get MUCH better at the same time that he started solids.

The bottom line is that you have to trust your mama instincts and do what feels right for you...you're going to get a lot of flack either way so you have to do what you believe is best. Good luck!

Birdee
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I kind of had the same issue - kept flip-flopping about it. I tried giving dd cereal a few times at about 5 months - she ate it but wasn't particularly keen on it kwim. So I stopped and tried again at 6 months and you can really tell the difference when they are ready!! So give it a try and see what happens - your baby will tell you if she is ready ;)

BeedieWeedieB
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I agree with all the other mama's on seeing what your kiddo wants. My 4 month old has reflux as well and his ped actually told me that with how well he's doing weight wise (he's a chunk at 19 lbs already) that he really doesnt need it. Well bf'd babes dont need extra food until 6 months or older, despite reflux. That being said this kid watches us like a hawk when we eat and we did give him cereal about 3 times in the week before his 4 month appt. and he loved it and acted like a baby bird everytime the spoon came near him. I am wanting to try different foods with him, not so keen on the whole rice cereal is a must thing this time around, so he's had off our fingers mashed potatoes, sauce from a lebanese dish we make thats tomatoe base and today some applesauce, he loves it all. If he hadnt been so eager we would definately wait though, reflux or not.

heidi