PDA

View Full Version : Parcel Post????

wackifamily
08-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Is this an acceptable shipping method per the DS guidelines?? It seems like every time someone ships something to me via Parcel post, there are always issues :( The expected delivery date is NEVER correct. What do you all think?

ambieone
08-25-2011, 06:23 AM
I don't think there are any rules against shipping parcel post.

Did the person say they were going to ship a different way? Thats the only thing I could think would make it wrong.

I hope you get your item(s) soon!

Heather8183
08-25-2011, 06:26 AM
As long as it has dc, why not save a few bucks when you can? Thats why a lot of people do trades, to save money, so shipping everything Priority isn't practical.

mekjsk2000
08-25-2011, 06:33 AM
It is acceptable but I agree that people use it too much. Personally I've found that it isnt worth shipping parcel unless a package weighs over 2 lbs. I always ship first class if its 13 oz or under, then try to fit something in a flat rate bubble envelope if over 13 oz, then ship priority as its usually the same as parcel for me.

mekjsk2000
08-25-2011, 06:33 AM
double post

Luvingmy4boys
08-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I don't think there are any rules but it does take awhile. It has taken over 3 weeks sometimes to get something. The weird part is that I have found it more expensive or about the same as Priority so I'm not sure why it's used so often. I ship First Class for items 13 oz and under, Priority Mail and sometimes Fed Ex is cheaper than Priority. I never use Parcel Post. I just don't trust it and I hate the fact that something I'm sending is going to take forever to get to someone.

expaik
08-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Wha--? When is Fedex cheaper than priority? Please share!! I've love to use Fedex if it's an economical alternative..

Luvingmy4boys
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Wha--? When is Fedex cheaper than priority? Please share!! I've love to use Fedex if it's an economical alternative..

I was surprised by it too. If I have a package that doesn't fit into a flat rate Priority box, I check the rates for the Large Flat Rate and Fed Ex. Fed Ex is a bit cheaper or close to the same as Priority for bigger packages. I have been able to ship over 20 pocket diapers via Fed Ex for about $13-$14. I may have used Parcel Post once and that was only before I researched all my rates because I assumed it would be more expensive to ship by another method. I have never used it after that and won't use it anymore either.

xmommy
08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I only use parcel if the item is heavy. For most things it is only a little cheaper than priority (if at all) especially when you add in free dc on priority vs $0.19 for parcel.

tygr2410
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
why would it not be acceptable? That like saying i owe you a dollar and you will not accept 4 quarters. Do you take issue with first class as well?

I realize it may take a day or two more (usually) but if it cost less, then why would it not be acceptable? It's legal (unlike media mail), and larger items a lot cheaper

ETA- it's only be wrong if you paid for a different method like priority

sisu
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
It's allowed, but unless Parcel saves me a boatload of money, I upgrade to Priority when I ship things out. Sometimes Parcel takes WEEKS to get to its destination, I'd rather have a buyer get their stuff sooner than that so I can cross the transaction off my list of things to have to remember. :)

ETA - If I understand it correctly, the delivery date is usually off because Parcel items are the last thing to be loaded onto the trucks, and if the trucks are already full, the Parcel packages sit until the next available truck. So, the delivery estimate is the best possible scenario, but it generally takes much longer to actually arrive.

misskira
08-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I feel like however you state you're going to ship before the buyer pays is fine. Or if you're trading deciding on it together before completing the trade. :dunno: I only ship parcel for 3+ pounds usually.

Mamaleah
08-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Like everyone has said, it's fine to ship parcel. I don't use it though. For the heavier stuff I ship I use the bubble flat rate envelopes and pack them full. So far I haven't had to ship anything bigger than that for awhile. Priority always seems around the same price as parcel (or really close) when I do send big stuff, so I just do priority.

I find it really annoying when mama's send parcel on here and don't say anything. I think if someone does ship that way, a nice message saying it will take 2-3 weeks to get to the destination would be nice. I do think people need to be more educated with the postal system and take the advice that people give on here...expecially about flat rate envelopes and such. I wish everyone would look at the different kinds they have online and order them and have them on hand. It would save everyonea bunch of money...all the good stuff is online! lol, they are hiding them. :P

acwakip
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Whenever an item is listed as ppd, I assume that the seller is going to send it the cheapest way possible, which is parcel post. If I want it faster, I usually offer to pay the difference for priority.

wackifamily
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all of your input Mamas! :) I ship from home and it is the same price or cheaper to use Priority and I typically like to get the package to my buyer quick. Parcel Post just worries me because the longer a package is "out there" the more time it has to go missing. But those of you who mentioned the idea of the shipping method that was originally stated, make a great point. I think I will ask from now on and offer to pay the little extra for priority. Thanks again!

ETA: I have no issue with First Class and use that method if under 13oz. I was just referring to Parcel Post with this thread. :thumbsup:

tygr2410
08-27-2011, 06:56 AM
I do think people need to be more educated with the postal system and take the advice that people give on here...expecially about flat rate envelopes and such. I wish everyone would look at the different kinds they have online and order them and have them on hand. It would save everyonea bunch of money...all the good stuff is online! lol, they are hiding them. :P

I know! I ship almost everything over 13oz in flat rate, legal size, envelopes if i can make it fit. It's only $4.75 with DC so it's hard to beat

Whenever an item is listed as ppd, I assume that the seller is going to send it the cheapest way possible, which is parcel post. If I want it faster, I usually offer to pay the difference for priority.

:yeahthat:

qtytot
08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I always list as ppd and I only ship either 1st class or priority. If it is over 13oz, it goes priority. Its not just for the buyer to get the items, but also for it to be delivered so the transaction is closed and I can spend the PP :goodvibes:

*MamaStacy*
08-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I know! I ship almost everything over 13oz in flat rate, legal size, envelopes if i can make it fit. It's only $4.75 with DC so it's hard to beat

I recently shipped something in one of the legal size flat rate envelopes and was told they have to be FLAT since its "legal size" and supposed to be for papers I guess?! The package was returned to me. :( But the new bubble flat rate envelopes are for anything/everything. Just a word of caution to be careful with those legal size, they are apparently cracking down on what they are allowing to ship in them.:banghead:

Lanae
08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I hate when people ship to me parcel... It can literally take months. I don't do it parcel cause I'm sure the buyer would file a claim on the 45th day and I'd lose the case. Also.... I usually hold onto buyers payment until they get it in case there are any issues. I don't wanna be waiting weeks or possibly months :)

I'm blaming stupid words or sentences on my iPhone since it thinks it's smarter than me!

Avasmommy
08-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I have shipped and also received things parcel post and it never takes an extra long time. There are many times that priority is close in price and I choose that instead, but it there is a good difference I ship parcel. If you want it faster, you can always offer to pay the extra for priority. If you wouldn't want to pick up the extra charge, then why should the seller?

Avasmommy
08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I hate when people ship to me parcel... It can literally take months. I don't do it parcel cause I'm sure the buyer would file a claim on the 45th day and I'd lose the case. Also.... I usually hold onto buyers payment until they get it in case there are any issues. I don't wanna be waiting weeks or possibly months :)

I'm blaming stupid words or sentences on my iPhone since it thinks it's smarter than me!

I can see why you don't like parcel since you are in HI, but for the continental states it never takes months.

llamabeans
08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Only difference between parcel & priority is priority leaves the ground, parcel never does.
Some things you cannot ship Priority (perfume is one big one) I've never had a package take longer than 9 days to get to me, no matter what the shipping method.

vmomma
08-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I think it all depends on the situation. If it's a huge expensive box, then yes it's acceptable. PPD does not necessarily mean the seller is paying for the postage?? It simply means it's included in the price. Why then should the seller skimp on shipping to save a small amount of money?

I always ship FC and priority when weight warrants. I have shipped and received large boxes parcel and have not had a problem. However, I would only do this if there was a large price difference.

Kissed by the Moon
08-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I usually ship first class or priority using flat rate methods, but occasionally they are too big. Parcel has worked fine or me in my many transactions, never taking more than 5 days.

kbstanley3
08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Well I just shipped a package and parcel was $14, Priority was $27, no way was it fitting in an FRB.
You're darn skippy I shipped it parcel!