PDA

View Full Version : Children's clothes

Macyllehub
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I really am working on simplifying my life. It is a beautiful, but long process.

As I look forward into Fall clothes being brought in and packing up all summer things - I really feel this is a great time to figure out how many clothes we really need for our children.

I wash laundry every 3-4 days, as needed and the mood strikes. Our children are 5, 3, and 18 months. Currently, they have a massive clothes stash that are overflowing out of their drawers! So I need help!

How many:

pants?
shirts?
jackets/coats?
dresses?
church clothes?
pajamas?

I think we're set on undies, socks and shoes. Each child has one "set" of socks that are all the same size and style so theres no mismatching socks ever. Shoes are high quality and each kiddo only needs one pair for colder months and then 1 pair of sandals(we've been like this a long time).

I would appreciate your input! :goodvibes:

Laina83
09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I am having this same problem! We had our first in june and our friends and family have been super generous with clothing! Its a good problem to have but I feel so guilty that I haven't tackled it yet! I've decided to take note of what she wears in one week and cull based on that and save a few extra of everything just in case. I'll pack stuff away for the next one based on this and I'm passing stuff onto a friend who is expecting.

amcess721
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I was just coming to post about the same thing. I have started picking up pieces for fall clothes and I'm afraid I'll end up like every other season...picking up things because it's a good deal, but then I end up with 20 shirts and 13 or so pants - but not much of it matches or coordinates so there typically ends up being like 3-4 favorite "sets" (that I was able to match up) that we always reach for. I'm thinking it may be thriftier and space wise better to maybe purchase 4 or so matching sets tops/bottoms at someplace other than a thrift store (or sale rack) and know I have a few good "go-to" sets, and fill in with the other stuff... I really need to take inventory and make a checklist so I know what's here and what's not.

moms5angels
09-02-2011, 05:02 PM
i do my laungry 2xs a wk & this is how i did my kids clothes:

8 summer outfits (dresses included) /pj's
8 winter outfits/ (dresses included) /pjs
10 socks/undies (more undies if potty training)

for the baby:
10 outfits/pj's
14 onsies (enough for mutiple changes cuz babys go through more clothes but not too much more then her siblings)
10 socks

for winter/spring i do this:
2 winter coats (one for outside play & one for going places)
1 pair of snow paints (only for outside play)
2 spring jackets (one for outside play & one for going places)
2 gloves/hats each.

i do 8 outfits that way the have one outfit per day w/ one spare. so there not wearing the same outfits 2xs a wk but its also not overflowing of clothes eather.
hth :)

amcess721
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM

for the baby:
10 outfits/pj's
14 onsies (enough for mutiple changes cuz babys go through more clothes but not too much more then her siblings)
10 socks

2 gloves/hats each.

i do 8 outfits that way the have one outfit per day w/ one spare. so there not wearing the same outfits 2xs a wk but its also not overflowing of clothes eather.

That does help! Thanks!

Fashionably Green Baby
09-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I just saw my mom and told her I was purging the house and gonna get each kid down to 10 outfits each and she seriously looked at me like I was abusing my kids.

moms5angels
09-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I just saw my mom and told her I was purging the house and gonna get each kid down to 10 outfits each and she seriously looked at me like I was abusing my kids.

:giggle: i got the same look from my family mambers last yr when i decided to lesson there clothing down too. i still get those "looks" from time to time but i see it as im the one who needs to clean,sort & put them away. not them, so ill just do what works for me. it is so relieving for me not to have so many.
just do what works for u mama :goodvibes:

eta: u should see there faces when i tell them that i have all my kids clothes in one closet. (same thing as the family closet idea. just my dh & my clothes arnt in it) insted of them in there bedroom closets. :giggle2:

amcess721
09-02-2011, 06:24 PM
:giggle: i got the same look from my family mambers last yr when i decided to lesson there clothing down too. i still get those "looks" from time to time but i see it as im the one who needs to clean,sort & put them away. not them, so ill just do what works for me. it is so relieving for me not to have so many.
just do what works for u mama :goodvibes:

eta: u should see there faces when i tell them that i have all my kids clothes in one closet. (same thing as the family closet idea. just my dh & my clothes arnt in it) insted of them in there bedroom closets. :giggle2:

...so... they don't have dressers? Hmmm... no dresser = one less thing in the room! (Or use the dresser for toy/kid craft storage...) hmmm...

PoshPants
09-02-2011, 07:00 PM
OMG my daughter has so much and she never wears more than a few things over and over, I never learn, I love to buy little girls stuff.

I do need to stop that though LOL

moms5angels
09-02-2011, 07:02 PM
...so... they don't have dressers? Hmmm... no dresser = one less thing in the room! (Or use the dresser for toy/kid craft storage...) hmmm...

yup, :giggle: none of them have dressers. i put all there clothes on 2 sheving units in the downstairs closet (i have 1st floor laungry) each child has there own shelf i put there clothes on & colored bins i put their socks, undies & swiming clothes in. i used one of the dresses to store my extra cloth diaper inserts,prefolds, pocket diaper inserts,hemp inserts, out grown,ect that wouldnt fit on the changing table in there next to the changing table. there in r living room. the other ones i thrown out cuz thet were old & not worth keeping. (falling apart)

knotfabulous
09-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm thinking it may be thriftier and space wise better to maybe purchase 4 or so matching sets tops/bottoms at someplace other than a thrift store (or sale rack) and know I have a few good "go-to" sets, and fill in with the other stuff... I really need to take inventory and make a checklist so I know what's here and what's not.

Yes! This is what I try to do and it really works out much better for us. I always have sticker shock when I shop "retail" so I still try to get stuff on sale but it is so worth it to have a few things that you and the kids really love and will last. We buy higher end clothes but they wash very well so they can be worn over and over without looking junky. I get a few more tops than bottoms and a really great sweatshirt in a neutral color that can be worn pretty much all the time.

We have no closets in our house because its super old (and super small) so my boys only have one tiny dresser each. We just can't have a lot of clothes around.

PoshPants
09-02-2011, 08:13 PM
We buy higher end clothes but they wash very well so they can be worn over and over without looking junky.

When my son was litle I got the pricey bodysuits, I got teased, but in the end I spent LESS than my friends who got the cheap ones and after he grew out of them they looked good enough to re-home! (or could have been used for another baby)

knotfabulous
09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
When my son was litle I got the pricey bodysuits, I got teased, but in the end I spent LESS than my friends who got the cheap ones and after he grew out of them they looked good enough to re-home! (or could have been used for another baby)

AND you can consign them for $$$ to buy new things. My absolute favorite thing is consigning. When I buy something new I always think about its resale value! Sad I know. And I own a store but its not consignment. I think I'm going to add consignment though.

threestraycats
09-03-2011, 10:41 AM
each of my kids have one drawer--about 7-10 outfits & they share one drawer for swimsuits, pj's, etc

it works out well & everything gets worn & i am not overwhelmed

2 pairs of shoes

sillyutalktome
09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
We aim for 10 outfits each season that are in rotation. Then I usually have 1 or 2 shirts the next size up that can be put into rotation if she stains something. I used to aim for less clothes, but she stains so, so much that I upped my number.

I buy ahead and I always buy in outfits. Otherwise the matching is too hard. I do buy thrift or consignment stores but it's usually dresses or plain shirts to make summer dresses fall dresses. Also pjs are way cheaper at my Once Upon A Child and the Gap ones we love always look brand new.

Sabriel
09-03-2011, 02:28 PM
This summer I narrowed the girls clothes down to 14 outfits and 7 jammies each. They always seem to wear most of them over a week. It has been fabulous! Laundry is so much more manageable.

I just went through their winter clothes, and narrowed those down to 14 outfits each (most are long sleeve tees and jeans/khakis). I am thinking about keeping 7 fleeces/sweaters to put over top if needed. They also each have about 7 pair of cotton "comfy" pants that I can't get myself to get rid of. I keep telling myself that they need them so that they can be comfortable around the house. I think I may just let them go...

mamayogibear
09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Okay this is my project for the day! I plan on packing up all the boy clothes smaller than 12 month and all the girl clothes smaller than 3T even though my dd is 4 since she is a skinni minni! Then I plan to only keep the following:
3 hoodies each? (from september on we wear hoodies each day so should I keep 5 so they can have a new one each day at daycare?)
2 coats each (1 just rain and 1 cold/snow)
10 outfits (pants and shirt) (two each to leave at daycare)
? dresses for my dd (we wear dresses and skirts over pants so should these dresses be part of her 8 outfits?)
12 pairs of socks each
? undies for dd (she actually needs more!)
any other suggestions?

This is off topic but for me: finally getting rid of the maternity clothes even though it is the most comfortable thing in the world to lounge around in and still look better than sweats and a wife beater in case someone stops by:) Getting rid of all the pants I was hoping to fit into again!

Thanks for reading and to those who posted before me thanks for the inspiration!

oriskanystorey
09-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Love this thread! I overbuy for both of my kiddos, and I have learned (recently) to always buy in outfits (even clearance), as I am awful at pairing things up and we will outgrow NWT stuff that I never matched.
I just counted 20 good sets for school, plus extra separates like jeans, skirts, and tops. I need to pare down. I *did* try this year to buy clothes she can layer so I don't have to buy double the sets for winter...she can use most of these throughout the year.
I am also a believer in buying good brands...I love how well they hold up and after I resell them, I haven't spent any more money than I would have if I purchased cheap clothing!
I remember being a kid and not having enough new outfits to get through a week (and my mom bought cheap, so the old stuff LOOKED old and was also my brothers hand me downs at times). Think I'm scarred lol?
I should let her start to have a say in picking things out...they are more likely to all be worn :)

pgkcb13
09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Okay this is my project for the day! I plan on packing up all the boy clothes smaller than 12 month and all the girl clothes smaller than 3T even though my dd is 4 since she is a skinni minni! Then I plan to only keep the following:
3 hoodies each? (from september on we wear hoodies each day so should I keep 5 so they can have a new one each day at daycare?)
2 coats each (1 just rain and 1 cold/snow)
? dresses for my dd (we wear dresses and skirts over pants so should these dresses be part of her 8 outfits?)
12 pairs of socks each
any other suggestions?

This is off topic but for me: finally getting rid of the maternity clothes even though it is the most comfortable thing in the world to lounge around in and still look better than sweats and a wife beater in case someone stops by:) Getting rid of all the pants I was hoping to fit into again!

Thanks for reading and to those who posted before me thanks for the inspiration!

Sounds like a great plan. For hoodies I'd say it depends on how dirty they get them. If they need to go in the laundry each night 5 might be better, but if they can often wear them over 3 is plenty!

I think I'm going to work on clothes today too, since most of it is in laundry baskets/bags waiting to be folded :blush:

AcrossTheUniverse
09-03-2011, 04:10 PM
My 4 kids share a closet, too. All of their shirts/jackets hang and then underneath they each have one of those plastic dressers with their pants, socks, and undies.

I don't have a washer/dryer at home and so only do laundry 1x per week at the laundry mat. Because of that the kids have a little more than they used to because I want to make sure they can get through the week depending on the weather and if they need to change their clothes mid-day for whatever reason. It basically boils down to:

-1 jacket
-5 long sleeved shirts
-5 short sleeved shirts
-5 dresses (for the girls)
-10 pairs of undies and socks
-5 shorts/skirts
-5 pants
-5 pajamas (they often just wear a t-shirt and undies to bed)

ETA: They also each have 2 pairs of shoes (1 pair of sneakers and 1 pair of either sandals or dressier shoes).

Ready2Bmommy
09-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I just can't do that. My aunts little boy is in the same outfit in nearly all his pics, and it drives me crazy. This just may be an area that I am frugal, but not minimalist. :hide: :giggle: can't win them all, right!?

amcess721
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I just can't do that. My aunts little boy is in the same outfit in nearly all his pics, and it drives me crazy. This just may be an area that I am frugal, but not minimalist. :hide: :giggle: can't win them all, right!?

I do the same thing... when I'm trying to figure out what to dress my kid in for the day, I scroll back in my mind mentally and think "No, she can't wear that outfit, she wore that last weekend at the horse races so those pictures and this weekends pictures will all be next to each other in the scrapbook and it'll look silly" :giggle: Glad I'm not the only one! I'm definitely going to pare down, but I have these same thoughts!

3 hoodies each? (from september on we wear hoodies each day so should I keep 5 so they can have a new one each day at daycare?)2 coats each (1 just rain and 1 cold/snow)
12 pairs of socks each
any other suggestions?

For the bolded above... I say keep 5 if you don't for sure do laundry during the week... I have a thing about clothes my kids wear to daycare - they get worn that day, then get washed. I don't like the idea of all the kid germs sitting around in the closet or the pile of coats waiting to be worn again. ... especially during cold/flu season! If I were a SAHM and the kids were home with me all the time, I'd find it easier to say keep less on hand because it'd all be "our" germs.

Macyllehub
09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, there are extremes to everything. One or two outfits, probably too little - but really, my 5 year old has 17 pairs of pants. And double that in shirts. :blush: I'm sure my other kids have similar numbers, but that was just what I counted today as I was going threw just her stuff.

for the baby:
10 outfits/pj's
10 socks

2 gloves/hats each.

Fabulous set up! Thank you for sharing!!

Ready2Bmommy
09-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, there are extremes to everything. One or two outfits, probably too little - but really, my 5 year old has 17 pairs of pants. And double that in shirts. :blush: I'm sure my other kids have similar numbers, but that was just what I counted today as I was going threw just her stuff.
!

I'm not gonna argue the extreme point :giggle2: I just can't let it go. My ds and unborn dd easily have that many items and try as I may I just can't get rid of it. However, I am trying to buy somewhat less in future sizes, but still more than 10 shirts or 5 pairs of pants. :blush: yep, I'm :lostit:

kaireece
09-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Great discussion! I always struggle with kids clothes (and my own). I think I need to focus on 'outfits' rather than separates. My kids just pull what they want to wear out of the closet but tend to pick the same things over and over.

I was thinking 10-14 outfits so that we have some variety?! I know my oldest only has about six pairs of pants, but maybe a short sleeve and long sleeve for each pair?!

Our seasons are so variable that I need warm clothes year round.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

knlrachel
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
great ideas subbing so I can really read through :)