PDA

View Full Version : How many ounces of laundry detergent do you use per month?

myfrugalfunlife
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
My other post got me thinking-I think I use way to much laundry detergent. One 186 ounce bottle of Costco detergent lasts us around two months (sometimes only a month and a half), so around 100 ounces per month. I do one-two loads of laundry a day (usually one), so approximately 30/40 loads per month (family of five). I use the measure cup that comes with it, but wonder if I'm filling it too full? Does that sound high/low/average?

How many loads of laundry do you do, and how many ounces/bottles of detergent do you use a month?

tallanvor
09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
We do probably 20-25 loads a month. We're a family of 5. I think we use about 75 ounces a month. Maybe a little less. I'm not sure how long the last bottle of detergent lasted. Now I think about it, I think we use a lot less than that. I think our last bottle of detergent was only 50 oz and it lasted at least a month. We now have powder detergent, as it was the better buy last time.

Now, I do use a medium amount for a full load of clothes that isn't real dirty -- just every day clothes. And for towels, I use a little less detergent, since I use add an oxygen bleach to help cut any grease and nasties.

igotmywings
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM
We Do A LOT of laundry. we are only a family of 3.

I do diaper laundry every other day so lets say there are 30 days in a month

Thats 15 loads of diaper laundry (sometimes i go every 3rd day)

and on top of that I usually do 2 regular loads of laundry A DAY as well. so that's 60 loads of laundry a month.

so 75 loads of a month (that's probably on the high side of things)

for my diaper laundry I use dropps...one package has 26 dropps. So it lasts me a month and a half.

For our clothes I either use tide for our work clothes or the kirkland brand for all our other clothes. The tide bottle only lasts us a month. The kirkland huge box lasts me 6 or so months.

deezee02
09-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a strict laundry schedule so I do not get behind. 4 loads of clothes a week...2 loads of towels, whites and bedding alternating weekly...so 7 loads of clothes a week...28 loads a month. We go through a bottle of detergent every 2-3 months. Diaper laundry every other day and I go through a bottle of that detergent ever 4-6 months

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

nada87
09-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Wow I use alot of detergent. OP I buy the same bottle as you and it lasts 6 weeks if I do laundry 4 if DH does. Maybe I wash laundry wrong.
We do maybe 8 loads a week. 4 times 8 = 32. How on earth do I go through so much detergent??

myfrugalfunlife
09-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow I use alot of detergent. OP I buy the same bottle as you and it lasts 6 weeks if I do laundry 4 if DH does. Maybe I wash laundry wrong.
We do maybe 8 loads a week. 4 times 8 = 32. How on earth do I go through so much detergent??

I'm asking the same thing, about myself :giggle: I think I need to cut my amount in half, and see how the clothes come out.

breanne_roz
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I have a front loader and I've had a 150 oz bottle of purex since the early spring and there is still some left. I barely put anything in the cup...anything more and I have way too many suds in my machine. It's crazy how little I have to use!

igotmywings
09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I think most detergents recommend too much. Try cutting it back a little and see what happens!

Jsweetheart1019
09-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I do 3-4 loads per week, the large bottle lasts us months. I do not put very much detergent.

CherryPie
09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I have no idea but this is one of the things that I have been meaning to start keeping track of.

Kriket
09-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I do 3-4 loads per week, the large bottle lasts us months. I do not put very much detergent.

I have the 2x All F&C and for a full load I only fill to the "1" for diapers I probably use a tablespoon. I use 3/4 of my 2x a month (I don't know how that compares in ounces)

I do diapers daily (2 in dipes) and probably 5 loads of clothes/towels/bedding a week. I don't sort anything except the towels out. If it can't be washed with everything else, I don't fart around with it.

everything is clean and that's what matters :) I probably use too much water, I usually do the longest setting, and a full washer unless it's only 2 or 3 towels. We also have a small washer, one of the stacked ones.

OurAllenBaby
09-03-2011, 01:23 PM
It seems like I do a crap ton on of laundry. At the very least it's 7 loads a week. Usually more like 8-9. I use approx. one 50 ounce bottle in a month.

4boys1girlforme
09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Family of 7 and I have a FL that is HUGE- I do about 20 loads of laundry per month- I only do full loads and believe me I mean full!
It takes me about 3 months to use 186 ounces (Cosco's Kirkland free and clear HE)- we do have soft water so I use a little less and I don't use it to wash diapers- I use Tide powder for that and wash every 3 days- a large box of that lasts about 6 months.
When I open a new bottle- I use a Sharpie to write the date on it so I know how long it takes me to use it.

4boys1girlforme
09-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Has anyone used this?
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Wash-Ball-Laundry-Detergent/dp/B003FOCZ56/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_6

N/M I'm reading the bad reviews!

bfuzzy2
09-03-2011, 02:27 PM
we use the kirkland ultra powder detergent from Costco. I began using it for diaper laundry and liked it for all the clothes so I have continued to use even though we do not have dipe laundry anymore. The box says 180 loads and it lasts us about 5mths. I only use up to the 1 line for our laundry, unless it is DH's clothes I may go up to the 2 line and only wash full loads. The number of loads per week varies on my motivation. Now having said that I can tell you I do at least 6 loads per week. HTH!

igotmywings
09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Has anyone used this?
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Wash-Ball-Laundry-Detergent/dp/B003FOCZ56/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_6

N/M I'm reading the bad reviews!

That looks interesting! Im going to have to try it out

emhammer0506
09-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Keep in mind - people with hard water have to use a little more and people with soft a little less!!

ittybittycoconuts
09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Ive always used 1/2 the recommended amount unless its a nasty load. I never find I need the whole amount. Im not really a fan of the costco liquid detergent honestly its one of the only store brand items at costco I dont care for aside from their mac and cheese. I find I do need the recommended amount to get the same clean as 1/2 the recommended name brand(tide, surf, gain). Ive been here 6 months and used 2 32 oz tides and 1 regular sized 32 load Gain powder.

myfrugalfunlife
09-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Ive always used 1/2 the recommended amount unless its a nasty load. I never find I need the whole amount. Im not really a fan of the costco liquid detergent honestly its one of the only store brand items at costco I dont care for aside from their mac and cheese. I find I do need the recommended amount to get the same clean as 1/2 the recommended name brand(tide, surf, gain). Ive been here 6 months and used 2 32 oz tides and 1 regular sized 32 load Gain powder.

Yeah-it just doesn't seem to be cleaning as good as it should. I did like Ecos, but want something that has scent after the clothes come out of the dryer. I'm really excited to try Gain-I may go twice and get 8 bottles-I'm hoping to squeeze out a year from that much (so $2.67 a month for laundry detergent). I'll have to cut back on how much I use every load-it will be a good challenge for me :mrgreen:

Ducko
09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I use Charlie's Soap. I use a little less than a Tbsp/load for a FL. I buy it in the 5 gal bucket does 1000+ loads. I only have to buy it every two years. So I guess I do about 10/loads a week or so, that sounds about right with 2 in cloth diapers. Last time I bought it I got a B1G1 free deal. So I got it for .05/load....still have about 1 year supply left.

tallanvor
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I use the powder Seventh Generation when I can find it, and have found the powder is a better buy. Might not apply to all brands of detergent and areas, but for us it does.

Ducko
09-03-2011, 05:50 PM
You can also add washing soda to your detergent and have it clean well and stretch farther.

myfrugalfunlife
09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
You can also add washing soda to your detergent and have it clean well and stretch farther.

I have almost a new box of it, from when I made my own detergent-I'll definitely start adding it-thanks for the suggestion! How much do you add per load?

ittybittycoconuts
09-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah-it just doesn't seem to be cleaning as good as it should. I did like Ecos, but want something that has scent after the clothes come out of the dryer. I'm really excited to try Gain-I may go twice and get 8 bottles-I'm hoping to squeeze out a year from that much (so $2.67 a month for laundry detergent). I'll have to cut back on how much I use every load-it will be a good challenge for me :mrgreen:

Yea I like scent too. I started using fabric softener just for the smell and I loooove the blue snuggle. Im slowy transitioning my family to line drying and I find it helps for that too. You can wet a wash cloth in dilluted fabric softener wring it out or do a few drops essential oil on it and throw it in the dryer for scent also

Ducko
09-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I have almost a new box of it, from when I made my own detergent-I'll definitely start adding it-thanks for the suggestion! How much do you add per load?

About 1/2 of what you'd use for detergent.

jc12551
09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I use 4 ounces per load. That means I get 160 loads out of a 5 gallon bucket of homemade.

I wash around 11 loads of laundry per week (1 good darks, 1 good lights, 1 whites, 1 towels, 3 diapers, 2 not-good clothes/work clothes, 2 pants/jeans). Plus sheets once per month. That is around 45 loads per month.

I make detergent about every 3 months. It costs way less than $5 a bucket. Walmart recently started carrying the Washing soda and it is a couple dollars cheaper than I was paying at Kroger. I need to recalculate my cost per load.

Crap! why do I do so much laundry with only four people?!?

Macyllehub
09-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Good question. I use the Seventh Generation F&C.. I think their biggest is 150oz and it will last us about 3 months.

We wash about 12-15 loads a week.

ltlmrs
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Before Ladybug was born (so a little over three years ago) I bought 6 boxes of Country Save on Amazon through Subscribe&Save and will finish off the last box this week. Each box was 160 - 1 oz loads so I think that averaged out to 26-27 loads per month. At the time the price was less than $50, but now it's over $60 :(

cajsmommy
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
One box of tide he powder 80 load size lasts us 3 months. So $12 for a family of 7 for 3 months. We CD as well and use the same tide to wash diapers. I do alot of laundry too. We have a super capacity FL, and I use 1/2 to line 1 for most loads. We have soft water, so that also helps us us a bit less. I find the tide powder ultra more concentrated then the liquid. When I use the tide liquid, I have to use all the way to line 1 on the cap to get the same cleaning abilities as 1/2 way to line one gives me with the powder. It also rinses better ime. So, $4 to wash all laundry/bedding/CDs for a family of seven a month. I don't think that's too bad :) I do on occasion at bleach, or oxy-bleach as well though. I always write the date opened on the box/bottle with a sharpie as well. ;)