PDA

View Full Version : Well that was traumatic...dd saw her toys being taken away

Numommy
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Well we had a mini flood, and so dh decided to go to the dump. I seized the momentto have him take off crap, including toys I've had in the top of closet forever. Dd saw them. She freaked. Oh it was so intense. So she and I went out and got from the yard not the pile her tee bat and ball. I let her play inside and showed her she could bc of how much room she now had. I also showed her her two boxes remaining.

She calmed but it hurt deep.

I did get a trailer full of junk moved off and a car load to donate. This house is still not minimal although I feel like it should be. Insane weird feelings when you see stuff go. I do not want my daughter to grow up w that sort of intense attachment to stuff.

Btw I've sold two of the three baby carriers I've listed whichwhen they all sell will leave me w one. I've listed my nook color bc its not being used, and I will be listing dips and trainers soon. I can.not wait!!

morethancjsmom
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
So sorry to hear that your dd "caught" you. It's ruff at 1st. Just a little future glimpse, my kids bring things to me and ask if we can sell them. Yep, I never dreamed it could happen but both ods and odd have done this several times! Hugs! It will get easier.
PS u inspire me! That's alot of stuff to get out of the house!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

2queens&1princenmyhouse
09-08-2011, 10:08 PM
:hugs: This has happened at our house too (on a number of occasions).

To combat this problem, I've started a journal of traumatic things that I've done to my children. That way when they are older and seeking therapy there will be documentation in case anything has been repressed. Any thrifty mama would want their child to get their $ worth. ;)

morethancjsmom
09-09-2011, 06:36 AM

To combat this problem, I've started a journal of traumatic things that I've done to my children. That way when they are older and seeking therapy there will be documentation in case anything has been repressed. Any thrifty mama would want their child to get their $ worth. ;)

How very thoughtful and frugal of you

deanaparthur
09-09-2011, 07:06 AM
We've been lucky. We downsize DS's toys (DD is still small enough she doesn't get it) we try to make sure he is away. Meaning DH takes him to run an errand or something. We have been caught before and I told him the truth - there was a little boy about his age. I worked with his mom and she couldn't buy him any toys. He had no Daddy. DS filled the garbage bag to the brim, I about cried I was so proud :)

2queens&1princenmyhouse
09-09-2011, 07:07 AM
How very thoughtful and frugal of you

Whenever I tell DD that, she just says, "Oh MOM!" :dramatic:

Numommy
09-09-2011, 09:07 AM

That is soooo frickin funny!!

Numommy
09-09-2011, 09:08 AM
So sorry to hear that your dd "caught" you. It's ruff at 1st. Just a little future glimpse, my kids bring things to me and ask if we can sell them. Yep, I never dreamed it could happen but both ods and odd have done this several times! Hugs! It will get easier.
PS u inspire me! That's alot of stuff to get out of the house!

Thank you. But it's still not enough! Sigh....

AmberP
09-09-2011, 12:42 PM
This is what worries me about starting to purge. I am emotionally attached too some of them too (they were mine). :cry:

P!nkPepper
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
This is what worries me about starting to purge. I am emotionally attached too some of them too (they were mine). :cry:

Maybe find a child that really wants the toy/s & explain that the child is sharing with others in need or somebody that can use it? I gave away my dollhouse a few years back. It was a wooden dollhouse that my beloved Uncle George made me. He passed away from Mesothelomia (sp) in '03 so it was quite a cherished posession. I lugged it everywhere I moved, even to Europe. However, it needed repairs & I have no daughters to share it with. I gave it along with all the furniture to another family with a little girl that always wanted a doll house. She was so tickled to get it so I felt so good to bless somebody else with it.

Numommy
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe find a child that really wants the toy/s & explain that the child is sharing with others in need or somebody that can use it? I gave away my dollhouse a few years back. It was a wooden dollhouse that my beloved Uncle George made me. He passed away from Mesothelomia (sp) in '03 so it was quite a cherished posession. I lugged it everywhere I moved, even to Europe. However, it needed repairs & I have no daughters to share it with. I gave it along with all the furniture to another family with a little girl that always wanted a doll house. She was so tickled to get it so I felt so good to bless somebody else with it.

That is awesome. I took some down the mission.
I think she's too young to get it. Like we make chemo hats and deliver them, and she totally doesn't understand. :). She's two.